IGNORED

There Will Be Blood...

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like it when I watched it, but it grew on me in hindsight. It's almost a guilty pleasure movie. Even though it wasn't handled as well as I'd like, the idea of having an amoral, succeed-at-all-costs guy as the protagonist resonated with me, as that's sort of where I find myself at the current stage in my life (though on a much more modest scale).

Guest Cyanescens

no way. that movie was really really good.

DRAINAGE!!!!!!!! I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE ELI!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely don't see how people think that he's a "bad guy". He's not a bad guy at all. Complicated man with failures and problems? Yes. Evil guy? No.

He's more good than bad. Fucking neo-hippies who think he's a corporate evil should be shot.

Guest Mirezzi
awful awful movie. he owes john huston an oscar.

...I was thinking Walter Huston, but yeah...if John Huston had cast himself to play Howard in Sierra Madre, you'd have the true prequel to There Will Be Blood.

Guest Deep Fried Everything
I absolutely don't see how people think that he's a "bad guy". He's not a bad guy at all. Complicated man with failures and problems? Yes. Evil guy? No.

exactly, the preview sold this flick to basically be a window into the mind of a madman (i had not read the book beforehand either), and amongst a few other criticisms i was pretty let down because.... it is exactly as you say.

He's more good than bad. Fucking neo-hippies who think he's a corporate evil should be shot.

Fucking lol, yeah give the guy a break for abandoning his boy and beating somebody to death with a pin, it's only because of his issues.

Guest maantecaaa!!!
I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY LOL

indeed... i yell this at my son sometimes!

hahahahaha. he's probably tripped out by it now but will think it's hilarious when he's an adult.

Abandonned his boy? The character is more complicated than that you know...

The man in the movie wasn't evil, evil as in the way people usually think about evil person. The world is grey, not black or white.

Unless you're a fucking hippie that goes "OMG OIL KILL KITTENS"

Guest analogue wings

watched it last night

score was good in some bits and "look at me im writing FILM MUSIC" in other bits

um.

the thing was a bit lacking in drive i thought. enjoyable for the acting, but felt more like a series of character moments than a film

• 2 months later...

finally got around to watching this last night.

pretty damn good flick. didn't know that the score was done by greenwood until I saw his name in the credits. Which probably was better, otherwise i would have paid more attention to the score...as it was, it was...sufficient. But i did enjoy the click-clack music for the big burning.

The ending was great. It shows how depraved both the capitalist and the spiritualist have become in order to meet their goals. Eli was a full on capitalist drunk and Daniel was just well...i don't want to say evil..more like amoral. he was fucked up though..

probably my second favorite pta film after Punch Drunk Love.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse
LOL:

That was actually really great.

haha yah I really didnt expect such a thing to be so well executed, the wii bowling in the background on the clear your bong bit was soo clever it makes me feel dumb

Guest frank belko
Me too, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. It's a pleasure to watch.

same thing for me. i definitely enjoyed watching it, but afterwards i just didn't understand it. then a week later i got what it was about and i love it.

• 3 weeks later...

finally saw this last night. the comments in this thread are pretty spot on.

ddl absolutely compelling

story didnt really exist

music was awful mostly except for the scene with the percussion.

too long to say nothing really happened

• 3 months later...

I watched this finally last night with the wife (she hated it), but while not the greatest movie ever, I liked the way the story was told, if a bit 'mysterious'.

DDL's performance was oddly authentic, as the character he portrayed looked (and acted) as if he popped out of one of the early Field and Stream magazines. He's a great actor, and he really did well with this part where I could see anyone else failing miserably. Also, I hated the young preacher - made the end all the more satisfying for me.

Archived