IGNORED

autechre+vodka

Guest hahathhat

i went to the montreal show this month on ecstasy and me and my gf almost left before autechre got on because we were so overheated and felt so trapped in the small crowded club, i thought it would have made my experience better but if anything just forced us to sit at the back where it wasnt so hot and the volume was much lower back there:(

Guest hahathhat
all i know is that acid got me "inside" untilted and i had a lot of fun listening to it tripping balls, especially ipacial section and augmatic disport. i remember listening to chiastic slide while coming down on a winter morning and that was pretty cool too.

i was stoned pretty much all the time in highschool and that is when i was really into ae/aphex, all that other stuff.

i don't do drugs or drink anymore and therefore find that i don't listen to electronic music as much. is this lame? i don't know. the two do seem to go hand in hand, though. when quaristice first leaked this year i was still smoking weed, though i had sobered up and was going to AA, and then when i realized that weed was still part of the problem and stopped that as well i stopped being interested in listening to quaristice.

i think this is actually a pretty interesting topic to discuss. some of you may disagree.

I wouldn't really get into any music that I needed to be high to enjoy. It would seem a bit fake to me, like the chemical manipulation of my emotions and thoughts are the only thing that makes the music worthwhile. It would be like "wow, these sounds are so trippy and stuff" and I would really be missing the point of the music. I'd rather just listen to music I already enjoy sober while I'm getting high.

i never got into autechre until i listened to them on acid (tri repeatae, dael specifically was what gave me the "oh, that's neat!!" moment).

HOWEVER, i can enjoy autechre when completely sober.

HOWEVER #2, i enjoy autechre more when i'm stoned than when i'm sober.

HOWEVER #3, when i'm drunk i just want to dance.

i think most people miss an important point when having this sort of discussion: it's not just sober vs. intoxicated... WHICH drugs you do matters. weed makes everything sound good, but i can be very particular about what i listen to on acid/shrooms. when i drink, i just turn into a dog - dumb but well-meaning, up for anything not suicidal, and i chase the mailman because i think it's fun(ny). alcohol is mind-CONTRACTING, not mind-EXPANDING, but it's still a good time under the proper circumstances. weed makes you more content, less fearful, more willing to listen, more patient. acid, however... well, enough of it at once and "YOU" is not really an applicable topic (you know what i mean).

i never bought into that CHEMICAL MANIPULATION OF MY EMOTIONS school of thought. i'd say, mr. fucking cagney, you are afraid of losing control. don't worry, i am too. everyone is. however, it shouldn't concern you in this context. if YOU decide to ingest the chemicals, YOU have chosen to manipulate your emotions via drugs. the drugs did not choose to do you.

i had an epiphany yesterday. i was thinking about a decision i made, and how that one decision had an immense effect on the course of my life. i said to myself, "wow, what if i'd chosen differently?" ...then i realized: the decision was not made in that moment, but throughout my entire life. the decision i made was a product of who i am, and all the previous decisions i'd made.

finally, yes, drugs can make bad music sound great, but there's nothing wrong with that. you just have to keep perspective: "ehh, i just liked that because i was stoned... because the guitar sounded more... hey that's a cool idea for a track, i'm going to go do that!!"

do drugs, but don't do them all the time.

Guest Chogg

lol

very good points, hathathat. the whole thing is subjective, of course. i did drugs and drank too much for too long and eventually had to accept abstinence as the only answer, at least for the time being, in terms of getting my life and my personality back on track. however the musician in me will struggle with that decision for a long time (i am a jazz pianist and composer of shitty electronic music).

autechre's music, and other electronic music, is hardly only enjoyable while on drugs. all you really need, ideally, are some good headphones. unfortunately the sounds do remind me of good trips and good times and it's hard to enjoy that now without wanting to go back to those things. quaristice came about when i was at the turning point, and not being entirely satisfied with the content of the album i found that i was enjoying it a lot more while smoking up.

i hope that at some point i'll come around and be able to compose weird shit again, and enjoy this kind of music, without wishing i could smoke or drink something. in the meantime i'm listening to a lot of (post-1996) stereolab.

i never got into autechre until i listened to them on acid (tri repeatae, dael specifically was what gave me the "oh, that's neat!!" moment).

HOWEVER, i can enjoy autechre when completely sober.

HOWEVER #2, i enjoy autechre more when i'm stoned than when i'm sober.

HOWEVER #3, when i'm drunk i just want to dance.

i think most people miss an important point when having this sort of discussion: it's not just sober vs. intoxicated... WHICH drugs you do matters. weed makes everything sound good, but i can be very particular about what i listen to on acid/shrooms. when i drink, i just turn into a dog - dumb but well-meaning, up for anything not suicidal, and i chase the mailman because i think it's fun(ny). alcohol is mind-CONTRACTING, not mind-EXPANDING, but it's still a good time under the proper circumstances. weed makes you more content, less fearful, more willing to listen, more patient. acid, however... well, enough of it at once and "YOU" is not really an applicable topic (you know what i mean).

i never bought into that CHEMICAL MANIPULATION OF MY EMOTIONS school of thought. i'd say, mr. fucking cagney, you are afraid of losing control. don't worry, i am too. everyone is. however, it shouldn't concern you in this context. if YOU decide to ingest the chemicals, YOU have chosen to manipulate your emotions via drugs. the drugs did not choose to do you.

i had an epiphany yesterday. i was thinking about a decision i made, and how that one decision had an immense effect on the course of my life. i said to myself, "wow, what if i'd chosen differently?" ...then i realized: the decision was not made in that moment, but throughout my entire life. the decision i made was a product of who i am, and all the previous decisions i'd made.

finally, yes, drugs can make bad music sound great, but there's nothing wrong with that. you just have to keep perspective: "ehh, i just liked that because i was stoned... because the guitar sounded more... hey that's a cool idea for a track, i'm going to go do that!!"

do drugs, but don't do them all the time.

i agree with everything in this post so hard that it hurts. ESPECIALLY the last line. Drugs, and in particular hallucinogens, should be experienced by everyone with a stable mind, it adds so many new dimensions to music more than it does with any other medium.

But seriously man you have exactly the same take on the situation as i do.

Archived