IGNORED

the wire appreciation

Guest Idrn

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Al Hounos
Though white people have a natural aversion to television, there are some exceptions.

That site is fucking stupid get that shit out of here

Took me ages to find that track ^ (car chase when they go after the re-up in season 1 at the projects)

the sharpshooters are dope. i have 2 of their cds in my collection, both are good.

Took me ages to find that track ^ (car chase when they go after the re-up in season 1 at the projects)

the sharpshooters are dope. i have 2 of their cds in my collection, both are good.

i can't find their stuff anywhere =/

Though white people have a natural aversion to television, there are some exceptions. For white people to like a TV show it helps if it is: critically acclaimed, low-rated, shown on premium cable, and available as a DVD box set.

The latter is important so that white people can order it from Netflix and tell their friends “they are really into <insert series> and I watched ten episodes in a row in the weekend. I’m almost caught up.”

If you attempt to talk about an episode they have not seen yet, they will scream and cover their ears. In white culture, giving away information about a film or TV series is considered as rude as spitting on your mothers grave. It is an unforgivable offense.

Recent series that have fallen into this category include The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and most recently The Wire.

For the past several years, whenever you say “The Wire” white people are required to respond by saying “it’s the best show on television.” Try it the next time you see a white person! Though now they might say “it WAS the best show on television.”

So why do they love it so much? It all comes down to authenticity. A long time ago, someone started a rumor that when The Wire is on TV, actual police wires go quiet because all the dealers are watching the show. Though this is not true, it seems plausible enough to white people and has imbued the show with the needed authenticity to be deemed acceptable.

The popularity of this show among white people has create a unique opportunity for personal gain.

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is “like a documentary of the streets,” the white person will then slowly shake their head and say “man” or “wow.” You will be seen in an entirely new light.

If you are not from Baltimore but the white person you are talking to is, they might start asking you a lot of questions. In this situation, you should just say you left when you were young but you still have a lot of cousins there but you don’t like to go back to visit. This will remove all doubts and they can go back to telling you about how John from Accounting needs to “stop snitching” about their two hour lunch breaks.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

i recently watched the whole series in less than a week and i thoroughly enjoyed it. well acted, well fleshed out characters and interesting plots. the fourth season was my favourite. the last one was a bit iffy with the slightly outlandish plot with mcnulty, freamon became a little too much of a magic negro and the newspaper people were thin compared to the rest of the characters.

• 1 year later...

watching season 1 on demand these days. it's the only one i haven't finished yet.

this show is legendary. the question for me is:

sopranos > the wire?

or is it

the wire > sopranos > curb your enthusiasm

sopranos > wire > curb

etc

anybody seen the Corner, David Simon's proto Wire show about the Baltimore drug trade? It's on HB0 on demand right now, the whole miniseries (8 episodes hour long each). It's different than the wire because it mostly focuses on the drug consumers, basically every character is like Bubbles so its about 2x as depressing as the Wire. If you can handle the icky feeling i highly recommend watching it

anybody seen the Corner, David Simon's proto Wire show about the Baltimore drug trade? It's on HB0 on demand right now, the whole miniseries (8 episodes hour long each). It's different than the wire because it mostly focuses on the drug consumers, basically every character is like Bubbles so its about 2x as depressing as the Wire. If you can handle the icky feeling i highly recommend watching it

Sounds interesting, i'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up :cisfor:

Awesome show, finished it just last week over about 2 months. Best show that was on television. :emotawesomepm9:

That stuff white people like site was kind of funny the one time I visited, (EG coffee, hummus) but I don't like to see the wire mocked. White people I have recc the wire to are quite likely to be like "I couldn't stand the potty language"/too hard to follow/can't understand what the black people are saying. Then they go on about how good Glee/Dollhouse is (These are people in their 30s - unbelievable).

One of the rare hyped things that is as substantial and important while being entertaining. For all the bullshit that is on tv there is a lot that should be made fun off before the wire.

I have just started Generation Kill last night and have seen EP 1 of the corner so far. The way those marines talk is so :facepalm: but I fear it may be accurate to a degree. the corner is nice and real, I would like to see more shows like this.

Guest analogue wings

Yeah I couldnt get past the boofheadedness of he marines. Maybe one day when I stop hating boofheads...

Here's the trailer to David Simon's new show Treme... about a New Orleans creole band dealing with the Katrina aftermath and getting racially profiled by Steven Seagal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfIYXaeolU

i thought generation kill was pretty good. showed a nice variety of people who find themselves in the marines, from those who don't know what else to do to those who just wants to kill people and get away with it. whole lot of driving around doing nothing as well and a fair share of fuckups and war crimes. yay america!

Lance Cpl. Harold James Trombley: Sergeant, I didn't get to shoot!

Cpl. Josh Ray Person: That fucking sucks, Trombley. Did your recruiting officer tell you you'd get to shoot people?

Lance Cpl. Harold James Trombley: Fucking A he did!

Cpl. Josh Ray Person: See, Trombley asked about shooting people. I asked about pussy. The guy told me I'd get to go to Thailand and get all kinds of strange. What'd you ask about, Brad? Brad probably saw that T.V. commercial, the one with the knight that fucks up the dragon that turns into the Marine.

Cpl. Walt Hasser: Woo woo! Dress blues with a sword!

Cpl. Josh Ray Person: Fucking dress blues commercial man. That got so many fucking dudes. Now look at us: Trombley hasn't killed anybody, I'm half a world away from good Thai pussy, and Colbert is out here rolling around fuckbutt Iraq hunting for dragons in a MOPP suit that smells like four days of piss and ball sweat.

Interviewed this guy

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/

as part of the Glasgow Film Festival (he had a role in a new film that was closing the gala)

seemed like a really decent bloke, I was just asking him if he enjoyed his role in the film etc etc

(I haven't actually watched the show much if at all so I need to fix that :( )

character name is "Russell 'Stringer' Bell" says imdb...

Archived