IGNORED

Article in Future Music

ten fingers ten toes

I think it was just because I was the first non-Jungle person trying to do Jungle in '94. I just couldn't do it. I think it was the same story for Squarepusher and Aphex Twin - we'd have liked to have been making club bangers but didn't know how to make it good. Instead of using quite simple beats, we were always a bit up our own arses, so it just came out as rubbish Jungle. But loads of people liked it better, so that was pretty cool.

hahahaha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

He does seem to be a nice chap... but....

I've read quite a few interviews, and what I've gathered is this: he's too lazy to make tracks one way, so he does it another (in reference to sampling his synths and doing long live jams and cutting them up rather than linking everything properly to a computer.) He's fine with presets and uses the same sounds over and over again anyway. He makes tracks very very quickly. He realizes his laptop is a really a bit crap and doesn't think he has a 'proper' studio, but he can always go and jam at better ones anyway. He can't be arsed with learning about plugins or more involved programs. His and his fellow music-men's music was the way it was because they couldn't make 'proper' club/dance bangers. And so on...

I dunno, it's good to be laid back, but there comes a point where you wonder what people want their music to do or why they're doing it. That sounds really lame, but it makes sense in my head. I actually find his music fun sometimes, but I don't know why people see his lack of musical ambition as something attractive or particularly great.

I've read quite a few interviews, and what I've gathered is this: he's too lazy to make tracks one way, so he does it another (in reference to sampling his synths and doing long live jams and cutting them up rather than linking everything properly to a computer.) He's fine with presets and uses the same sounds over and over again anyway. He makes tracks very very quickly. He realizes his laptop is a really a bit crap and doesn't think he has a 'proper' studio, but he can always go and jam at better ones anyway. He can't be arsed with learning about plugins or more involved programs. His and his fellow music-men's music was the way it was because they couldn't make 'proper' club/dance bangers. And so on...

I dunno, it's good to be laid back, but there comes a point where you wonder what people want their music to do or why they're doing it. That sounds really lame, but it makes sense in my head. I actually find his music fun sometimes, but I don't know why people see his lack of musical ambition as something attractive or particularly great.

Guys a total stoner, we're lucky he releases anything

Guys a total stoner, we're lucky he releases anything

Can't say I agree. but he was smoking whatever when I saw him at bestival last year. Saying that, his set was great and had us all moving the whole time. Good stuff.

Archived