IGNORED

i'm looking for the breakbeat used in

modey

does anyone know where i could obtain it? it's not in the "godsend" pack that was floating around here a few years ago.

what is that godsend pack you are talking about?

Guest greenbank

it was a zip file of low quality versions of lots of popular breaks that some people use because they're too lazy to source non-mp3 versions.

it was a zip file of low quality versions of lots of popular breaks that some people use because they're too lazy to source non-mp3 versions.

yeah because having a 24bit, 96khz version of a breakbeat recorded from an old 70s vinyl (that was probably recorded with one microphone in front of the drumkit) is going to sound SO MUCH better.

i'm sure nobody's going to notice that people are using mono mp3 breakbeats.

does anyone know where i could obtain it? it's not in the "godsend" pack that was floating around here a few years ago.

what is that godsend pack you are talking about?

i don't think i've got the zip anymore, and a google search isn't very successful. i'll have a look around my hd tonight!

Guest greenbank
yeah because having a 24bit, 96khz version of a breakbeat recorded from an old 70s vinyl (that was probably recorded with one microphone in front of the drumkit) is going to sound SO MUCH better.

i'm sure nobody's going to notice that people are using mono mp3 breakbeats.

well i'd consider it bad practice to use these. they're mp3s, nothing above 16khz. they've got completely useless names and no info in the tags for the most part. (for example there's a file in 'godsend' called 'pleasure.mp3' this track is actually marva whitney - unwind yourself, the one word in the filename is not related to the original so it's not even a handy reference to find a better quality one. )

some are taken from records that aren't the original source or are sped up already, this loses too much.

obviously most of them are taken from old vinyl but surface noise in breaks is something that adds character, hearing a faint slosh and an absence of >16khz or so frequencies does not.

as another example (so i can provide an audio comparison) here's the most famous of all - the amen. two files, one is from godsend (and slowed to roughly the same pitch as the original) the other is from a CD. can't tell the difference?

amen1.wav

amen2.wav

i'm not trying to be a dick or anything but i really think that using or passing on this pack is bad form, the qaulity in almost all cases is shockingly bad.

also, i don't know which break it is in the aphex track (if it is even one break played as a loop) but here's the break in polynomial-c (since i've got the wav editor open, it's sourced from an mp3). 05___Polynomial_C.wav

well i'd consider it bad practice to use these. they're mp3s, nothing above 16khz.

well i dunno which pack you've heard but the breaks i have are all 192kbps mp3s at 44khz, and they don't sound like they've been resampled (for example, "original soul pride" sounds as good, if not better quality than the version used in "bummy" by afx).

.. and obviously the amen breaks in the pack aren't too good, but it's not hard to get hold of a decent amen break, is it? it's overused, anyway.

the reason people are using these breaks is their aesthetic, if the amen break was recorded and mixed differently theres a high chance it wouldnt be so popular years later. in short, the sample rate matters because you still want the dynamics of the original, "badly" recorded by todays standards or not...thats sort of the whole point.

the reason people are using these breaks is their aesthetic, if the amen break was recorded and mixed differently theres a high chance it wouldnt be so popular years later. in short, the sample rate matters because you still want the dynamics of the original, "badly" recorded by todays standards or not...thats sort of the whole point.

i'm not saying they were badly recorded, i'm just saying that a breakbeat isn't going to be affected much by 192kbps mp3 compression, especially if you're going to use it in a track, when it's likely you'll put more drums over the top, or process it.

i definitely understand how lossy mp3 compression can be, but a SINGLE ELEMENT of a track at 192kbps is hardly going to make a difference, is it?

recorded with one microphone in front of the drumkit

this statement is untrue with regards to most of the overused breaks out there.

recorded with one microphone in front of the drumkit

this statement is untrue with regards to most of the overused breaks out there.

yeah i know, i realised it was a bit silly to say that - however i've heard plenty of recordings where the drums were recorded in that way and they sound great!

Guest greenbank

can we go back to the original Q anyway? i'm pretty curious now. can you name any other tracks that have the same break? i reckon it's well chopped and redone with a bunch of bits from drum machines and more than one break but i might be wrong. certainly all the rave tracks that i thought of when i heard it turned out to have different (and more easily identifiable) breaks on (SL2, 2 bad mice and various similar classic rave stuff)

listened to this very loudly today, and tried to make out the break at the end specifically when its by itself. It really sounds like drum machine bits to me, epsecially with a very noticeable retrigger effect, like a proto RDJ era snare rush in the middle of the break or something.

can we go back to the original Q anyway? i'm pretty curious now. can you name any other tracks that have the same break? i reckon it's well chopped and redone with a bunch of bits from drum machines and more than one break but i might be wrong. certainly all the rave tracks that i thought of when i heard it turned out to have different (and more easily identifiable) breaks on (SL2, 2 bad mice and various similar classic rave stuff)

i've heard it used in super monkey ball (can't remember if it's the first or second game), in one of the race tracks - i'll see if i can get a recording of it sometime soon.

ok, here's the track from super monkey ball 2 that used this break. notice it's quite a lot cleaner than the one used in polynomial-c.

Guest greenbank

it sounds a bit like it's got hotpants and funky drummer in it but if you slow it down it's layered and heavy in a way the original breaks aren't. it's quite possibly sampled from a PE style hip hop tune where they've layered and fattened the beats.

Archived