IGNORED

Im looking to start playing percussion

pcock

couple of things that would be wicked to know, is it worth buying the drums and percussion online anywhere, or is it the type of shit that you really have to go and find and play before you buy it.

secondly, what mics are the best mics for recording percussion well, with fat bass.

and thirdly do you think il gain anything buy finding a technique book on amazon?

hopefully somebody here is into hand percussion :)

I would say percussion is just like any other instrument: you should try before you buy.

SM-81's are pretty good condensors for hand percussion stuff. RE-20's are good for kick drums, so they'll pick up bass pretty good. Also the Sennheiser 421's have a pretty good low end.

I don't play hand percussion, so I'm not sure about what books are good.

cool for your efforts. theres always the offchance on this forum youve got some master expert in the the thing your interested in.

my neighbours cant hear a thing, ive been left with a naturally acoustically soundproofed bedroom. im going today to buiy a djembe, congas, bongos, an ice bell and some tablas. gonna be wicked.

6 hours after beginning (i bought a variety of cool drums today) i think ive fractured my knuckles in several different places. although i knocked out some wicked sick beats.

6 hours after beginning (i bought a variety of cool drums today) i think ive fractured my knuckles in several different places. although i knocked out some wicked sick beats.

record yourself! i'm interested

yeah i do actually think i over did it, my hand has this extremely unpleasant sensation of complete all over itchiness, and its still very red. i think whacking the blood into my hand by force repeatadly for 6 hours did a small amount of damage, il do a little bit of recording tommorow morning when ive recovered.

i spent 60 quid on a nice djembe, it sounds fantastic. im gonna make some acoustic techno to go busk in chester with.

i spent 60 quid on a nice djembe, it sounds fantastic. im gonna make some acoustic techno to go busk in chester with.

cool. bust out some polyrhythm action yo!

i'd buy some acoustic percussion, but i live in an apartment heheh.

Dude, you're really going to have to be careful man- drums aren't just for beating, they're instruments with individual tones and techniques. I recommend finding a local teacher or at least a DVD for your instruments, books don't help very much.

Also youtube has lots of lessons as well.

No matter what drum you play, think about these things:

If your jembe has real skin, be sure not to leave it next to a heater, or play it in the rain, feed it after midnight, etc.

NEVER play with rings, watches, or any other jewelry on your hands. You'll hurt yourself and possibly bust the skin.

Keep your hands moisturized- shea or almond butter is best, avoid any lotions with lots of glycerin. If your hands get too dry they'll split from playing, and that's pretty painful, obviously.

Jembe skins should not be treated (with oils or anything) the way conga/bongo skins are. Keep them dry.

Learn proper tone, slap, and bass technique- with the right technique, you don't have to hit the drum as hard to get good sounds. Part of the technique involves an awareness of which part of your hand hits the drum- make contact with the pads of your fingers, not the joints.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful. Look up Mamady Keita- I think he's got some instructional stuff out there, that would be well worth getting.

cool. ive figured out 3 sounds out the djembe, if you right angle your palm at the knuckles and hit the wood, allowing your fingers to slap the side of the drum, you can build up insanely fast, brittle beats, especially using the fingers seperately. then you can use your whole hand to land clean and flat directly on the top of the drum, this gives you a decent boom, combined with both these other hits, ive been pressing my fingers into the side of the skin at the same time to create an infinite number of tones. im really enjoying it, and my hands seem to be toughening quite rapidly.

Guest epsy
yeah i do actually think i over did it, my hand has this extremely unpleasant sensation of complete all over itchiness, and its still very red. i think whacking the blood into my hand by force repeatadly for 6 hours did a small amount of damage, il do a little bit of recording tommorow morning when ive recovered.

drumming should never be painful. don't let your enthusiasm for playing a new instrument fuck you with carpal tunnel for the rest of your years. pull back with the wrist after each stroke and stay relaxed

Archived