IGNORED

Any Basic Channel fans here?

Sam

Checked this stuff out after Sean ranting about it in an interview....goddamn it's great. Tracks like Q1.2, Quadrant Dub 1 edit and Lyot Remix are blowing my mind.....

Just checking out the rhythm and sound stuff right now as well, really good as well. Damn it's great to have new music to listen to :yeah:

Yeah Basic Channel is amazing as well as Chain Reaction and other stuff it spawned like Monolake and Substance/Vainqueur.

Guest exper
Checked this stuff out after Sean ranting about it in an interview....goddamn it's great. Tracks like Q1.2, Quadrant Dub 1 edit and Lyot Remix are blowing my mind.....

Just checking out the rhythm and sound stuff right now as well, really good as well. Damn it's great to have new music to listen to :yeah:

Besides Autechre, SND and Carsten Nicolai (Alva Noto); Basic Channel/Chain Reaction stuff is probably the most important influence on what I try to make. There is SO much warmth in there. I especially love the severe reductions of the Radiance EP.

To hear someone who really is taking that sound deeper, check out Quantec, especially the Moonstruck EP and Unusual Signals. Wow. Also, Rod Modell aka Deep Chord excels at this stuff too.

It really is great stuff. I was quite put off a lot of minimal techno kinda stuff when i first heard.....stuff like Ricardo villalobos just doesn't do anything for me, and a lot of the heads attached to it, at least here in Dublin, can be verrry trendy......i know that should make any difference, but it's hard to disassociate sometimes. But then a month or so back, I heard a cool akufen track called "skidoos" and quite liked it...it almost seemed like a more upbeat, club orientated version of Garbagemx, or something to that effect. And i still quite dig it, but there's just a fantastic ambience and sense of space of the basic channel stuff.

Oh and is just my bunch of mp3s or is the basic channel lp kinda low volume wise? I had to put the track volume at 200% in itunes to be able to listen to it at the same level as autechre on my mp3 player. They're 320 kbps.

Guest moo duck

i love edited versions they released as final compilation.

as for their vinyl sound my favourites would be early to mid Rhythm & Sound stuff before straight reggae parts was infused, Maurizio, last Rounds.

don't like much of 'reactions' to its sound, especially nowadays. there were some artists who have done interesting work based on BC and the likes. Rod Modell was good in the past. try his comp Vibrasound (The Deepchord Years 1999-2004), you'll like it.

I love most of the basic channel releases, the instrumental dubs & versions of rhythm and sound is great too... The last long Radiance III-track are totally out of this world!

All copycats (like Rod Modell) are mostly boring and so much just a total rip off of the BC-sound without depth and adding any of their own original ideas... Therefore most "Chord/Dub-techno" are stuck in a rut - I think BC added more than noise and chords to their music (the followers tend to think thats all there is)

i've been into this kind of sound for some time (pole, vladislav delay, deatbeat and the BC stuff etc.). dig the shit out of r&s stuff, the instrumental ones especially. also the chain reaction stuff is great, favourtie delay's multila. also like rod modell's stuff, both as solo (the 'plays michael mantra' is a really nice ambient number) and deepchord/echospace. although it can get bit samey with all the 2nd generation artists popping up, but i like this sound and more is always good.

edit: why is it so damn hard to get shit in their proper forums around here?! shame on you! BC and friends needs proper appreciation in the proper forum!

Guest Quoth
All copycats (like Rod Modell) are mostly boring and so much just a total rip off of the BC-sound without depth and adding any of their own original ideas... Therefore most "Chord/Dub-techno" are stuck in a rut - I think BC added more than noise and chords to their music (the followers tend to think thats all there is)
I guess you didn't check out 'Incense & Blacklight' yet? Rod Modell does deliver some of the deepest grooves here, and has definately created a style on his own.

Guest telikan

I always find most of Rod Modell, Deepchord, Echocord and other followers pretty unremarkable. I think the style is really best exemplified in it's original form, and preserved before the new millennium. That's probably why the labels get discontinued, methinks. It gets documented in its truest form, and then they move on.

Kit Clayton is really on the only person I can think of in the 'follower' position who really made stuff that lived up to the original, and in some cases surpassed it. His ~scape releases and "Lateral Forces (Surface Fault)" are unreal. So unique. And just like "Multila", have textures you can't find anywhere else. And from an American no less! Also Andreas Tilliander's "Dutty and Digital" 12" and the Lowfour "Ian" EP are also real contenders in the post 2000 era of dub techno.

Guest moo duck

i am a bit surprised that there is more appreciation of r&s instrumentals, i feel pieces when they intentionally do it with toasters singing over as full & better versions rather than additional 'versions'. so they came to the last album sounding orthodox - one riddim, much vocal work.

though their absolute best goes into pure sonic tracks of the 'mid era'.

Guest Hanratty

I don't know about Quantec. I've heard a bunch of his stuff lately. It's ok for me, but not nearly up to the level of Deepchord/Rod Modell. People always give Modell a hard time for sounding like Basic Channel, but I hear much more variety in his music than Quantec.

Guest telikan

Modell definitely does put out some good stuff, but i like it better when he goes straight ambient. I was expecting Incense and Blacklight to be really good and different, but when I heard it I just thought "why is this on Plop?"

Stupid posters? Fuck off. The reason I posted it here was because Sean and Rob had been raving about it in the Quaristice interviews. Ok, fair enough, it's not a thread about autechre themselves, but if i saw someone posting a thread about mantronik, I'd see the connection.

have you thought that there might be fans of BC that are not autechre fans and will now miss this thread, cuz you thought a namedrop by sean&rob warrants a thread in the ae forum. lets place all topics about burial and others mentioned by ae,sqp and aphex in their respective forums. wouldn't that be great.

Guest burnibus

seen rythm and sound Djing in manchester with tikiman on wobbly, delayed vocals. It was amazing, seriously heavy dub. Basic channel is proper cool, but i agree that the deepchord stuff all sounds a bit too familiar.

T++ is absolutely amazing, should check him out really good BC style techno. Also some of the new 2562 stuff has that dub techno feel but also dupstep as well. brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived