IGNORED

how many times have you played 'live'?

modey

13 times for me, and that includes a self-organised house party, a 15 minute set between two grindcore bands, and a couple of failed gigs.

considering i've been making electronic music for over 10 years, and my first gig was in 2001, 13 isn't a lot, is it?

Guest Tamas

I've played 6 times, though one of those times was strictly for friends (with about 25 people I suppose?) and one was a complete failure for me as well. I try to only do a show when I have at least half of a set that is *completely* new material though, which is why I haven't played much (my first live set was a little over 2 years ago). I'm probably going to play one more show while I'm in Montreal, so it'll be 7 in less than 2 months.

Honestly I'm more of a studio album person, I like to twiddle knobs as much as the next guy, buuut I like the feeling of mastering something perfectly and imagining people playing it at the perfect volume in the comfort of their own homes. I hate it when I play a live show and the mixing people turn it too high, etc.

Oh, and I used to work in a store, and I'd play my music there all the time, does that count? Honestly it was the best place to get real feedback (or an idea of what the average person thought). Everyone would be sober, and since no one would know that it was my music, they wouldn't be taken aback about saying something negative about it... Thankfully though no one said anything negative about it. =P

20 times my own electronic material

5 times shared electronic material

over 100 times with a band shared material again

playing live is what music is all about for me. the feeling of being in front of people responding to your music and then getting feedback after the show is one of the best things in the world.

playing live is what music is all about for me. the feeling of being in front of people responding to your music and then getting feedback after the show is one of the best things in the world.

yes

how do you usually go about getting gigs? do you whore your stuff out there? do people ask you? i'm interested because i never seem to be asked, and i'm not enough of a whore to push my music onto people.

yes

how do you usually go about getting gigs? do you whore your stuff out there? do people ask you? i'm interested because i never seem to be asked, and i'm not enough of a whore to push my music onto people.

It's rare that you will be asked.

IMO the best way to be "asked" is to set up a show. Don't expect to make any profit for yourself. Book some good local acts, or whatever acts are in the genre you are trying to play out as (ie: electronic,rock, hip hop, polka). Pay them after the show whether there's a good turn out or not (if there is a good turnout, bonus to you, and you may possibly make some money).

Then when they are on some kind of mixed artist show, or they are putting together their own show, they may ask you cuz they're like "hey this guy paid me 50 bucks for playing in front of 20 people"..or"this guys paid me 50 bucks and i played in front of 200 people, i would've done that for free, i owe him.her a favor".

as to getting on shows, go to the shows that you think you wuold best fit into, ask people who's in charge of that "night" ask that person if you can get on, say you dont want any pay, and you will set up and break down quickly. If that works out, they and or the crowd likes you you may be asked back and may make money. Kee[p ding that until you devolp a following, then do your own shows with other acts opening up, you headlining, split the profits however you feel.

also....

1. find local artist booking agents (not reccomended but can help in big cities)

2. House parties while spamming the name of your act on the mic throught your set and handing out cds or flyers with web addy's on them

3. do a song with a group that is already established "special guest modey on the synth noise keys whatever you do" and then if it goes well say "hey you think i can open for you guys and/or do this more often:

4. don't rely on myspace

5. don't expect to make money. Have a job that can support your travel, cables, instruments, etc.

6. play for free. a lot of clubs will not pay you if you are just starting out, but will let you play early to fill a space IF you can entertain people. Some clubs will pay you in alcohol...ie give you 20 dollars credit at the bar or have their own stash of canned beers that you can drink as many of.

7. pre game it. if you want to drink at your show, and get a good buzz drink before you play (though i suggest after you set up and sound check) and then use as little of the bar tab as possible and they will like you. Its like they are getting free employees. meanwhile more people are hearing your music. it's hard to make a living as an artist.

thanks for the tips.

yeah, it's not about making money for me at all, i just love playing my music/sound/noise to people.

one more thing

take compliments well

say "thank you" or "yeah i've been doing this a while bout time i got some respect" with a smile and laugh . don't say "oh i'm not that great" or "yeah most people hate this type of music so its hard for me to get gigs"

don't be arrogant of course. but have pride in yourself at the same time. if people think that you know your stuff, and get that vibe off of you, they will respond better and tell more of their friends about you and so on. word of mouth is one of the most important things. meet rock bands (or whatver type of music) that are interested in "different stuff"and like having "odd" opening acts and play with them even if you despise their music. chances are some people from their crowd will like your stuff.

also in a live situation....Im not too familiar with your music modey but i should be, but enabling people to dance and have a good time to your music is very important and they will remember it. and so will the bands you open for. a lot of bands like the crowd warmed up and ready as soon as they hit the stage, and ifyou can provide that the more you will be asked to play or open up.

coffee shops and arsty bars are also good places to play, b/c artists love word of mouth and love kwoing "this guy that no one else knows about but is awesome you've gotta come see his next show its so fun"

give out cds for free at your shows. give the peopel somethign to take home....eat the cost. it takes a lot to get going.

ps- links to your musics modey?

here's some of mine from the electribe tourney...note they are not really representative of what i usually do as i was locked to one box with no computer aide, but its all i have online at the moment.

http://www.soundclick.com/manglebox

(manglebox was just the named i used for the electribe tourney, not the name i go by...i keep that stuff kinda low key for the moment for various reasons)

edit: clicked your sig

ps- links to your musics modey?

here's some of mine from the electribe tourney...note they are not really representative of what i usually do as i was locked to one box with no computer aide, but its all i have online at the moment.

http://www.soundclick.com/manglebox

(manglebox was just the named i used for the electribe tourney, not the name i go by...i keep that stuff kinda low key for the moment for various reasons)

edit: clicked your sig

i'll check out your stuff when i get home, thanks!

basically my live set will be kinda like the track 'lets take this dinosaur' from the rooftop access myspace. but a bit more elaborate maybe. one or two guitars, a microphone, loop/delay/reverb pedals, etc. basically an improvised guitar ambience set, but it won't sound like it was made with guitars. so i guess it's not really stuff to dance to heheh.

i'm talking to some people who organise experimental nights (there are quite a few in melbourne) about playing at them, so that sounds promising. the simultaneous advantage and disadvantage is that my solo stuff is as experimental as noise, but as melodic as post-rock, so while i could play at an indie gig or a noise gig, i'm not sure if i'd "fit in" at either, hahah.

oh and yeah, i always give my cds away. i think this is going to be the case until i actually get cds pressed. i work at a printing place so it doesn't cost me anything to print the covers, and cdrs are dirt cheap, $33 for 100 is pretty good!

1 show of my original material, about a 45min set. It was in a field, $5 a head to get in, and we added up a little over 500 people that were there (that actually paid, anyway). I finished my set, and then during the next guys up the police showed up and shut everything down.

i've played about 20 shows with the hip hop group im in.. opened up for aceyalone once, that was cool.

played solo electronic music around 5 times, mostly at house parties.

played electronic music as part of a group 2 times at house parties.

played with my country/blues band 3 times. 2 times at bars. once at a house party

lately i've been busking on the streets playing guitar. i've done it many times in town, and right now im in the middle of travelling, so i;ve been playing on foreign streets and beaches. busking tour, i guess you could say. hobo style

Guest Drahken

Too many to count if I include everything up to this point. For my current projects and such about 10 times. I'm actually doing a gig this weekend after the Euro final!

Finally got my system working proper so that I don't have to spend much time prepping shows. Its about 70% improv now which is pretty ace.

With all the various projects i have worked on over the years I have lost count. Hundreds is probably the best i could tell you.

I played sporadic shows (maybe less then 10) up until 2006ish when I met Terminal11, and I ended up playing pretty frequently at a bunch of places including out of state.

I stopped playing shows after a year so I could have time to make more music, but during that twice I played almost monthy to bi monthly. I don't write music that quickly so I'd end up playing the same songs if I played twice a month and my own music was driving me nuts. Somewhere around here my harddrive crashed as well and I lost a lot of works in progress. Thus I took sometime off to rebuild my setup and make some new music.

I haven't played out since then, but now I have more material so I suppose I could. It doesn't really interest me as much anymore but it was a ton of fun while it lasted. Good memories

I've played live electronic sets around 15-20 times, and various other concerts throughout the years. My first real concert was in 2000, I was 15. Bars, halls, basement parties. They're all fun.

Some dudes I play with in Columbus play around town frequently, so I generally get to play out whenever I'm there. I've only played in Boston a few times, though. Generally too wrapped up in my studies to network/find places to play.

this thread has made me feel a lot better about ekt. I like this section of the forum, it occasionally overlaps into watmm nonsense, but usually gets pulled back into actual music discussion or gear obsession discussion...which is good :)

The results of this thread so far, are making me want to create a watmm massive show in maybe 2009. I know (or think) that it's been done before? Get it set up ahead of time, figure out cheap travel for everyone, and good lodgings where peopel can afford to stay a couple days and still have money to spend. I'd say record a dvd (out of my pocket) and soundboard recordings for all acts. I think this could work very well if done at a venue i have hookups at, where i know there will be a turn out that will be into the music, and/or at least the experience.

thinking bout it....will post in ekt once i relocate next month to a musically/culture rich city :flower:

it would also mean i would have to reveal my true identity, which i'm not so sure i wanna do cuz i don't trust the internets. Not that i'm anyone special, cuz i'm not...just like remaining somewhat anon (had a bad internet stalker in my teen years).

post some vids if you folks have em of some live sets...not audio just vids.

Guest analogue wings

I don't think anyone's done an actual WATMM gig before.

There's been gigs by people who met on WATMM who happen to live near each other, but that's about it.

I'm sure you could get another local EKTer to be your RL sock puppet so you could stay anon(ish).

this thread has made me feel a lot better about ekt. I like this section of the forum, it occasionally overlaps into watmm nonsense, but usually gets pulled back into actual music discussion or gear obsession discussion...which is good :)

The results of this thread so far, are making me want to create a watmm massive show in maybe 2009. I know (or think) that it's been done before? Get it set up ahead of time, figure out cheap travel for everyone, and good lodgings where peopel can afford to stay a couple days and still have money to spend. I'd say record a dvd (out of my pocket) and soundboard recordings for all acts. I think this could work very well if done at a venue i have hookups at, where i know there will be a turn out that will be into the music, and/or at least the experience.

thinking bout it....will post in ekt once i relocate next month to a musically/culture rich city :flower:

it would also mean i would have to reveal my true identity, which i'm not so sure i wanna do cuz i don't trust the internets. Not that i'm anyone special, cuz i'm not...just like remaining somewhat anon (had a bad internet stalker in my teen years).

post some vids if you folks have em of some live sets...not audio just vids.

that's a good idea, would that be late 2009? because i've been thinking of travelling anyway, maybe around that time, so i could possibly participate.

as for live videos, the only one i have is of my band playing at a house party last year, it's in four parts, first part is here:

it was all improvised, so there are some dodgy bits here and there.

1 show of my original material, about a 45min set. It was in a field, $5 a head to get in, and we added up a little over 500 people that were there (that actually paid, anyway). I finished my set, and then during the next guys up the police showed up and shut everything down.

Nice! I've always wanted to play in a field. Any type of music actually. I was supposed to do some down tempo ambient stuff for some huge hippie/Quaker gathering in a big filed once but they couldn't fork over proper directions until 10 mins before (for *safety* reasons, which i understand...but i was performing so ya know...kinda needed to get there early) i needed to be there and i needed at least an hour to set up and wasn't too keen on having all my gear in my car around a bunch of people I don't know that would likely be all intoxicated, so i didn't do it. But i shall do a field gig one day!

500 people in a field sounds awesome.

Speaking of cops with the band i used to play in a couple years ago we played in this small town that was a dry county (no alcohol sold, or to be consumed publicly), and had just outlawed "crusing" their main street (which was less than 2 miles long), so a bunch of bands set up a show in a motel parking lot for the kids to have something to do, got all the permits, etc. But the cops showed up before we even began playing. (there were 4-5 bands). They had like 6 police cars (and my band and I were all stoned as hell since it was a dry county, but didn't care...we just wanted to give these kids something). Long story short, the cops killed the atmosphere by being all over the place, AND HAVING THEIR LIGHTS ON! (jeez...can some artists get some respect? esp. cuz we had lights and fog machines and stuff)....n-e way the band after us (third band) was asked to stop b/c of "offensive material" and the show was shut down. But all the kids thanked us and said it was gonna happen anyway. Damn fuzz always ruining stuff.

I'm sure you could get another local EKTer to be your RL sock puppet so you could stay anon(ish).

That's actually a good idea lol. But if I do this, I am too social of a person to hide and would want to meet everybody, mingle, etc. Plus be able to be in contact with people and organize everything.

i did a lot throughout 2004 and early 2005 of my original stuff... the last one was in april of 2005... after that show i kinda lost all interest in playing live mainly cuz i was playing for a cliquish promotion with just as much cliquish following... after that show i limited my gigs to laptop dj sets at art galleries and occasional appearances here and there.

now that i'm in florida, i don't play live at all! but a college radio show in atlanta (randy garcia has a hand is that station somehow i think) invited me up there for an interview and me doing a live set... but i can't make it up there right now!

oh... and a yearly movie festival thing out in someplace called winter park invited me to dj back in like march... but i don't have a reliable laptop right now!

none. i'd like to. i haven't put any effort in to doing it tho. last year i chatted with quite a few gig promoters [with the aim of plugging] and friends of but never felt comfortable saying "i make music and want to do gigs!" (well, the one time i said that, i didn't like the person :/).

edit: i just remembered i have been asked to play live a couple of times, but nothing came of it...

Once.

I took my 303 on stage at a party last new year, in Brno (Cz) to improvise a bit with the boys (a bass player and a guitarist (both sing)). I borrowed a korg electribe drum machine, synced the little bastards up, and there we went, me playing standard drum patterns from the korg and tweaking them a bit (mainly just the tempo though) and them just playing their rock songs. Playing my 303 was fun though, i even played the dutch anthem on the little keyboard:) Shame i had to squeeze out just those simple blues scheme basses instead of some phat acid. Well it wasn't really an acid crowd anyway.

Oh and i've played some records at a couple small parties here and there, but then again who hasn't.

Edit:

Sorry about that;)

Archived