IGNORED

Public Enemy Remix

Zephyr_Nova

The vocals are theirs, the rest is mine (including vocal fuckery). PS it is a very LOUD mix. It just seemed like a track that should uber-compressed.

I started remixing before I actually heard the original. I was surprised to find out it was this happy-go-lucky-fun-in-the-sun type mix. I think this is more fitting for the way Chuck D delivers. He's an intense, hard hitting spitter, and the music should reflect that damnit!

Zephyr Nova, where's your album? Weren't you supposed to release something last year?

This shit is bananas! Love Public Enemy, love glitch-hop, this is my wet dream.

way too loud but really cool

more

I was trying to win the loudness war with this one.

I'd like to do a glitch hop project with all original stuff, just need to find the right collaborator.

Zephyr Nova, where's your album? Weren't you supposed to release something last year?

This shit is bananas! Love Public Enemy, love glitch-hop, this is my wet dream.

Thanks! My debut was ready to be released two years ago. But it's out of my hands --two labels have agreed to put it out, neither have done it, the album's too old for me to care to pay for the release myself. I've got another album done as well. I may release that one on my own.

i don't like this at all

Right on!

I was going to give this a go as well... got an email from a friend regarding it.

as for the track... LOVED it! really fucking loud though as you noted. Has some really good head noddin motion to it.

I was going to give this a go as well... got an email from a friend regarding it.

as for the track... LOVED it! really fucking loud though as you noted. Has some really good head noddin motion to it.

You should give it a go! It was a really fun vocal track to play with.

Did you find the loudness to be detrimental to your enjoyment of the track? I hear a lot of complaints about that kind of sound, and I agree that an almost complete lack of dynamics becomes a bad thing when it's done all the time. But for this track I thought it was fairly appropriate. I also think most of Clark's totally brickwalled mixes sound pretty damn sick, suits the style in my opinion. Basically I wanted this to sound as hardcore as possible, like your head is imploding underneath the beats as you listen. My friend pointed out that Public Enemy's probably not going to be fond of that sound, and he's probably right about that. But I like it. Might do another mix as well, try it from a different angle.

Did you find the loudness to be detrimental to your enjoyment of the track?

Not at all... though I can see a lot of people going "wtf? this dude can't mix for shit" because they don't understand where you are coming from... or that you chose to have it sound like that.

Did you find the loudness to be detrimental to your enjoyment of the track?

Not at all... though I can see a lot of people going "wtf? this dude can't mix for shit" because they don't understand where you are coming from... or that you chose to have it sound like that.

But then there are all those people who are accustomed to hearing super loud mixes so that when they hear something more dynamic and lower in volume they associate that with being less produced. Like if you put a loud mix and a dynamic mix side by side to the average listener, they'll almost always pick the loud mix because it jumps out at them. It's a sad thing really, but it's becoming the norm.

v nice

fitting mix

Cheers. :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

*edit -in response to Beneboi:

An MC. I can rap, but only in an over-the-top parody way. I recorded on track as "The Phunky Phresh Phascists" titled "Two Hits o' Hitler" back in the day. I was manic out of my skull one night and decided to crank one out... should post it here some time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catsonearth

nice one. personally, i think the loudness is a liiiittle annoying, but maybe that's just because of the speakers i have here at work. they tend to favor certain frequencies. the track itself is cool though.

i did a glitch hop remix of public enemy myself, although it was a few years ago.

05_public_enemy___PE_1__numero_uno_m.mp3

i think everybody should do one and we'll put out an ep!

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded this a couple of days ago and have listened many times, I really dig it. The unsettling atmosphere and juggernaut beats add weight to Chuck's lyrics. If PE had good production like this they would sound more relevant which would be good because their rhymes certainly are.

• 2 weeks later...
production brilliant as usual, STILL WAITING FOR A RELEASE!!!

:beer: Wait no longer: http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=39981

And thanks!

nice one. personally, i think the loudness is a liiiittle annoying, but maybe that's just because of the speakers i have here at work. they tend to favor certain frequencies. the track itself is cool though.

i did a glitch hop remix of public enemy myself, although it was a few years ago.

05_public_enemy___PE_1__numero_uno_m.mp3

i think everybody should do one and we'll put out an ep!

Cool track! I'm enjoying your vocal mangling. I still haven't given the remix I did a spin on my discman, so who knows, maybe the loudness would bug me in that context. But then again, I really like Clark's mixes, so who knows.

big PE fan here and i loved it

The loudness was cool but just a bit too much. but i understand why you processed it that way.

Cheers!

I downloaded this a couple of days ago and have listened many times, I really dig it. The unsettling atmosphere and juggernaut beats add weight to Chuck's lyrics. If PE had good production like this they would sound more relevant which would be good because their rhymes certainly are.

Yeah, I've found the production on their new material that I've heard to be extremely disappointing. I listened to the original after finishing this mix and was very surprised.

wow... great job!

Thank you!

Archived