IGNORED

I miss James Stinson every day

perunamuusi

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

was it a genetic disorder, dooming him from the start?

was it the aftermath of years of stimulant abuse?

or did he simply work himself to death?

I think it's all unknown? I've never seen an explanation anywhere. You can tell from pictures though that he was overweight. Could've been caused by clogged arteries and all that.

Edit: Here's something:

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com/2006/09/james-stinson.html

"James Stinson, founder member of electro-techno outfit Drexciya, died on September 3rd in Newnan, near Atlanta, Georgia, from what have been described as 'heart complications'. Stinson, who was 32, had been ill for some time, even instructing record labels with whom he had deals to go ahead and release his music should he not live. Prior to his death he had been working as a truck driver, a job he said he enjoyed because of the time it gave him to think."

Guest hahathhat

maybe, maybe not !

i don't need his deepest secrets, but the info released was quite vague.

addition: i remember it being mentioned he moved away from his home of detroit due to atmospheric conditions or something. better climate.... or perhaps one with less ingrained patterns?

Guest hahathhat

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com/2006/09/james-stinson.html

"James Stinson, founder member of electro-techno outfit Drexciya, died on September 3rd in Newnan, near Atlanta, Georgia, from what have been described as 'heart complications'. Stinson, who was 32, had been ill for some time, even instructing record labels with whom he had deals to go ahead and release his music should he not live. Prior to his death he had been working as a truck driver, a job he said he enjoyed because of the time it gave him to think."

yes, see, this is interesting. leaves me wanting more, as i did even before this ;)

maybe, maybe not !i don't need his deepest secrets, but the info released was quite vague.addition: i remember it being mentioned he moved away from his home of detroit due to atmospheric conditions or something. better climate.... or perhaps one with less ingrained patterns?

He mentioned that in the radio interview, moving to Atlanta over Detroit. I don't think he was a drug user personally, just someone with persistent health issues, as someone mentioned earlier.

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com/2006/09/james-stinson.html"James Stinson, founder member of electro-techno outfit Drexciya, died on September 3rd in Newnan, near Atlanta, Georgia, from what have been described as 'heart complications'. Stinson, who was 32, had been ill for some time, even instructing record labels with whom he had deals to go ahead and release his music should he not live. Prior to his death he had been working as a truck driver, a job he said he enjoyed because of the time it gave him to think."
yes, see, this is interesting. leaves me wanting more, as i did even before this ;)

Same here, I've always been inspired by the fact that he was a truck driver, and that it was even part of his music. A working techno scientist...and to think some of us could have literally passed by the Drexciyan visionary on the highway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blakeboogie

when music bores me, i can always listen to drexciya/stinson stuff. :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBNa2ZGeW4

there will never be such music again...

You're absolutely right. It's also very enjoyable to find out about his other stuff not under the Drexciya name. Just got The Abstract Thought LP from Discogs, love the opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3RUYtZCdn0&feature=related

Guest Promo

I love how LUDD is hardcore (and has a great tatse in music) but at the same time you feel like you could ruffle his hair and then go play swingball without feeling gay. What is with that?

Can't say I ever had the same feelings myself lol.

Guest Promo

journey home is one i've never paid much attention to until recently. no idea why it's brilliant! first track on l.a.m. too.

First ever Drexciya I heard. I remember Peely (RIP) playing it. Got it on 12" too.

Guest cult fiction

Drexciya & related acts subforum! There is really no excuse whatsoever not to have one. They meet or exceed any criteria you could judge them against the other subforum artists with...

• Huge library of tunes to discuss
  • Loads of Gerald music still being released
  • Lots of mystery - maybe even more than RDJ
  • Crazy Drexciyan mythos
  • Huge influence on just about every electronic artist
  • Fucking awesome
  • Have released music on both Rephlex and Warp
  • Fucking awesome

Reasons why we don't have a subforum:

• Joyrex doesn't care about black people
  • Other subforums would be abandoned for the awesome new Drexciya subforum

Drexciya & related acts subforum! There is really no excuse whatsoever not to have one. They meet or exceed any criteria you could judge them against the other subforum artists with...

• Huge library of tunes to discuss
  • Loads of Gerald music still being released
  • Lots of mystery - maybe even more than RDJ
  • Crazy Drexciyan mythos
  • Huge influence on just about every electronic artist
  • Fucking awesome
  • Have released music on both Rephlex and Warp
  • Fucking awesome

Reasons why we don't have a subforum:

• Joyrex doesn't care about black people
  • Other subforums would be abandoned for the awesome new Drexciya subforum

you forgot:

• Fucking awesome

They do seem far more deserving than say, Cylob (sorry Cylob)

fuck bashing Cylob, lets move Plaid out of there! while we're at it the U-ziq subforum as well since Paradinas doesn't make music really anymore due to running his label.

The BOC subforum is pretty inane too,

in fact fuck it. Lets just rewipe it all, give LABELS subforums (i.e. "Rephlex", "Planet Mu", "Skam" etc!)

Guest tht tne

They do seem far more deserving than say, Cylob (sorry Cylob)

fuck bashing Cylob, lets move Plaid out of there! while we're at it the U-ziq subforum as well since Paradinas doesn't make music really anymore due to running his label.

The BOC subforum is pretty inane too,

in fact fuck it. Lets just rewipe it all, give LABELS subforums (i.e. "Rephlex", "Planet Mu", "Skam" etc!)

labels subforums ftw

Archived