IGNORED

Resident Evil 5 Demo - Monday January 26

Squee

Resident Evil 5 will launch on Friday, March 13th but you’ll be able to get your hands on a two-level playable demo the week of January 26th. According to Capcom, the demo will have has three levels of co-op play: single-player with AI support, two-player split-screen on a single Xbox 360 and two-player across Xbox LIVE.

-Major Nelson

The PS3 demo will be out one week later, so don't worry, PS3-gamers.

Would anyone be up for some Co-Op Watmm Zombie Slaying?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

did they make it so you have to be still to shoot still? Im hoping for the best but I heard the gameplay was planned to be very unevolved.

did they make it so you have to be still to shoot still?

From the looks of it, no. I'm not really sure whether or not the handicapped controls are supposed to be part of the Resident Evil franchise, but it looks as if they've decided to go with it.

Im hoping for the best but I heard the gameplay was planned to be very unevolved.

My guess is it'll be exactly like Resident Evil 4 when it comes to the controls. But from what I've heard it's a very action based game which sort of annoys me since RE4 was the perfect mixture of action and horror. If they've gone full blown action-blasting-through-windows-and-flexing-huge-muscles then they're really going to hear about it in the upcoming reviews. A Resident Evil game without one scare is just not a perfect Resident Evil game.

Okay... ehm... I just completed the demo and... eh... This is like "Resident Evil 4 Turbo".

I'm calling it now - reviewers will complain that:

1. Controls are crap. Which they are, but honestly it wouldn't be RE without crap controls.

2. It's not scary. Not at all. RE4 was scary here and there but it was a good mixture between action and shocks. RE5 will NOT be as scary as any of the other games.

3. Your partner is an idiot.

4. Enemy AI is beyond stupid. Having an enemy run up to you with an axe, screaming, only to stop just before coming into contact with you is hilarious. OMG he's running at me! Oh wait, he stopped for me so I can headshot him. Good boy!

5. You and your partner moans ALL the fucking time. I know it's in Africa and it's probably burning up in the sun, but come on... it's worse than listening to Jack from Lost.

Guest ex-voto
Okay... ehm... I just completed the demo and... eh... This is like "Resident Evil 4 Turbo".

1. Controls are crap. Which they are, but honestly it wouldn't be RE without crap controls.

2. It's not scary. Not at all. RE4 was scary here and there but it was a good mixture between action and shocks. RE5 will NOT be as scary as any of the other games.

4. Enemy AI is beyond stupid. Having an enemy run up to you with an axe, screaming, only to stop just before coming into contact with you is hilarious. OMG he's running at me! Oh wait, he stopped for me so I can headshot him. Good boy!

5. You and your partner moans ALL the fucking time. I know it's in Africa and it's probably burning up in the sun, but come on... it's worse than listening to Jack from Lost.

Damn that sucks ;s

I didn't think RE4 was scary either. It was fucking hilarious. Zombies saying TEH COOKIE (in different tones and rythms ffs!) all over the place cmon, brilliant.

damn thats quite disappointing, hopefully the fear 2 demo will be more entertaining

Haha, that will only leave you more disappointed!

So... FEAR2 demo sucks too? I downloaded it, but haven't tried it. Been working my way through PixelJunk Eden, trying to finish that before SF IV and Killzone 2 come out.

Damn that sucks ;s

I didn't think RE4 was scary either. It was fucking hilarious. Zombies saying TEH COOKIE (in different tones and rythms ffs!) all over the place cmon, brilliant.

Hm, I didn't encounter The Cookie Monster nor Baby Herman in RE4. I guess I really missed out on something, huh?

RE4 did freak me out a couple of times. The tall, skinny, grey monsters gave me a good scare at least a couple of times.

Guest ex-voto

Damn that sucks ;s

Hm, I didn't encounter The Cookie Monster nor Baby Herman in RE4. I guess I really missed out on something, huh?

RE4 did freak me out a couple of times. The tall, skinny, grey monsters gave me a good scare at least a couple of times.

You didnt hear the TEH COOKIE stuff? TEEEEEHHH COOOOKIIEEEEEE sometimes, which was so hilarious. They made these awkward vomiting sounds too sometimes. Sometimes that sound bugged and became some gargling sound of a choking dog.

I played the game on gamecube and on pc and both times I had this.

Ah yes, there was one time I was scared by this stupid fucker which needs some specific shots on specific spots, grabbing you and spiking you. That son of a bitch did scare me ones in a while. But in general I thought RE4 was a big laughter, also the story line, LAS PLAGAS coming to get you.

Something I wasn't even able to finish was Silent Hill 3.

damn thats quite disappointing, hopefully the fear 2 demo will be more entertaining

So... FEAR2 demo sucks too? I downloaded it, but haven't tried it. Been working my way through PixelJunk Eden, trying to finish that before SF IV and Killzone 2 come out.

Yeah, I didn't really like it. I didn't even bother completing the demo. FEAR2 is almost like a downgrade of the original. I remember the original kicking so much ass when it came to sound effects, graphics, AI, the bullet time function (which they can't call it anymore so now it's "slow-mo"), and the shock effects. Considering where we are now in the world of gaming and considering how beautiful most games look these days (Killzone2, RE5, GTAIV etc.)... it just leaves FEAR2 looking extremely bland.

Alma is a bit more fucked up this time around, though, so if you play the full version you might end up with more than a couple of scares. But if you've played the original, and you've played Condemned 1 & 2 then there's nothing new to it.

Guest Ultravisitor

Damn that sucks ;s

You didnt hear the TEH COOKIE stuff? TEEEEEHHH COOOOKIIEEEEEE sometimes, which was so hilarious. They made these awkward vomiting sounds too sometimes. Sometimes that sound bugged and became some gargling sound of a choking dog.

Ah yes, there was one time I was scared by this stupid fucker which needs some specific shots on specific spots, grabbing you and spiking you. That son of a bitch did scare me ones in a while. But in general I thought RE4 was a big laughter, also the story line, LAS PLAGAS coming to get you.

i seem to remember laughing loads when i heard them saying ''tar poolin''

i thought it was brilliant

Damn that sucks ;s

I think that "TEH COOKIE" thing you heard was either "¡Cogedlo!" or "¡Te voy a matar!"

But yeah, sometimes RE4 got a bit over the top. It was kind of hilarious that Leon could never stand still in any of the cut scenes. He always had to jump out the nearest window just to prove that was pure action. Also the villagers were always pretty damn angry telling you things like "¡Imbécil, quiero matar!" and "Mueren, Mueren, Meuren". None the less it was a good action/survivor game.

Guest assegai

Had a feeling this was going to suck (if you could recall the last RE thread). The gameplay videos looked horrid, altho I'll download the demo tonight. Re4 took the series from eerie horror to pure action. If re4 wasn't a re game than I would have enjoyed it much more, but looking back at re1-3 the new direction is that much more disappointing.

Yeah, I didn't really like it. I didn't even bother completing the demo. FEAR2 is almost like a downgrade of the original. I remember the original kicking so much ass when it came to sound effects, graphics, AI, the bullet time function (which they can't call it anymore so now it's "slow-mo"), and the shock effects. Considering where we are now in the world of gaming and considering how beautiful most games look these days (Killzone2, RE5, GTAIV etc.)... it just leaves FEAR2 looking extremely bland.

Alma is a bit more fucked up this time around, though, so if you play the full version you might end up with more than a couple of scares. But if you've played the original, and you've played Condemned 1 & 2 then there's nothing new to it.

Yeah, got to agree with Squee here - there was some cool shit towards the end of the demo with a mech-suit, but it all kind of feels done to death by this point.

Then again, I wonder if it's just a matter of only so many good ideas to go around. . . I mean, how many more bullet-time FPS shooters with some boo-scares can you play before it just feels repetitive and un-engaging?

Yeah, got to agree with Squee here - there was some cool shit towards the end of the demo with a mech-suit, but it all kind of feels done to death by this point.

Then again, I wonder if it's just a matter of only so many good ideas to go around. . . I mean, how many more bullet-time FPS shooters with some boo-scares can you play before it just feels repetitive and un-engaging?

As a matter of fact, I was talking to my friend about this the other day. People have got to come out of their little The Matrix boxes that they're hiding in, because it's been 10 fucking years with bullet time now, and it's simply not impressing anyone anymore. Everytime I see someone make use of bullet time or anything similar to what was done in The Matirx, I just see another nail in the coffin.

The same goes for The Ring. Obviously, the FEAR franchise has borrowed a lot from The Ring, and people aren't scared by it any longer... at least I don't hope they are. Invent something new ffs!

As a matter of fact, I was talking to my friend about this the other day. People have got to come out of their little The Matrix boxes that they're hiding in, because it's been 10 fucking years with bullet time now, and it's simply not impressing anyone anymore. Everytime I see someone make use of bullet time or anything similar to what was done in The Matirx, I just see another nail in the coffin.

The same goes for The Ring. Obviously, the FEAR franchise has borrowed a lot from The Ring, and people aren't scared by it any longer... at least I don't hope they are. Invent something new ffs!

I KNOW right? I mean, wasn't Max Payne doing the bullet time thing a long-ass time ago? And its, like, I haven't even played a game where I felt it REALLY nailed the bullet time feeling. It's become this thing where you just feel like developers are sitting around going, "well, what else can we throw in there? why don't we add slow-mo, it'll make things 4x's awesome!!!"

Back OT - here's the deal - does it just become harder and harder to scare people because so much shit has just been done? I mean, its like scary movies - the shit that scared people back in the 50's would get laughed out of theaters today, even things back in the 80's seems histrionic and ridiculous (I mean, Nightmare on Elm Street used to scare the shit out of me, but now?)

So, survival horror games seems like it's gone down the same path - I'll admit, Dead Space did a great job with pacing and atmosphere (imhop), but any of the "sequel" horror games (condemned, FEAR, Resident Evil) just seem stagnant.

ok, sry, wall of text - carry on

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean.

I would much rather play a game where the scary parts are more 'implicit'. I don't know if that makes any sense, but what I mean is, that in-your-face-shock-effects aren't scary. They may shock me, but seconds later I'm on my feet again exploring the vast world of whatever. The Silent Hill franchise on the other hand has more than once made me stop up a couple of times and actually consider whether or not I want to keep on going because the atmosphere has scared me more than anything. If it feels as if the atmosphere can kill you then you're on the right track. I think that's why I really loved the first half of The Strangers. Especially the scene where one of the killers is standing in the background doing nothing, but just looking at Liv Tyler and then after 10-15 seconds walks away. It keeps the audience on the edge of the seat for so much longer than they would if he had just blasted out from the closet and started stabbing everything within his reach.

Guest thechintzyschpincter

hey squee, you post on kotaku dont you? :)

anyways, this game is still a buy for me but thats mainly because i dont pay more than 20 bucks for new games. but all squee's points are valid. the online co-op will be the only saving grace here.

Archived