IGNORED

Resident Evil 5 Demo - Monday January 26

Squee

Yeah, tank controls are so 90s. It's hard even making headshots.

Even though I normally don't give the Wii credit for anything I must say that Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was amazing. This is the ONE time that they've actually managed to make the controls work the way they should. The aiming was top notch and the tank controls weren't as bad as they could have been.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first review is in:

The first Resident Evil 5 review score is in, and it's full marks, five out of five, from the US Official PlayStation Magazine.

"The good news is that this game is that good," says the mag. "Hours after playing through Resident Evil 5 once I'm already thinking about different strategies, load-outs and approaches to the game scenarios."

Among the many praises in the titanic seven-page review, including the "distinguished" and "revlationary" co-op mode, OPM pays particular attention to the game's mix of gameplay styles, which Resi 4 did particularly well in its excellent pacing.

"RE5 does a great job of mixing gameplay styles to create a sense of pacing that flows between high octane shootouts to more subdued, eerie exploratory sequences," it says.

"One moment you'll be blasting and hacking away at zombie mobs and face off against some seemingly invincible mini-boss in the midst of town, or you'll be systematically exploring working your way through the dark, claustrophobic confines of a mine of the labyrinth corridors of a secret research complex, experience a brief but hair-raising quick-time event and be back to fighting zombies - but this time racing across the Savannah manning the chain gun on the back of a humvee.

"It's exactly the type of event you have to share with a buddy, so you can discuss, dissect and deliberate over it for days to come," says OPM.

"This is like playing an Indiana Jones movie. And not the crappy ones."

High praise then. Expect review scores to appear from our office neighbours, the UK-based magazines in the coming weeks...

I don't really know about this though. I can't take it seriously when it comes from Official PlayStation Magazine or Official Xbox Magazine or anything else like it. I want the word from someone who doesn't represent anything but gaming.

I'm beginning to have a few speculations about this reviews, because most game sites have just been sent a build of the game which is for preview purposes only and this build is only about half the of the game and there are things missing from it but somehow OPM has managed to make play through and review the game? Plus, if you've read the review you would know that they don't mention anything that you haven't read about or seen in trailers... now that's a little... shady. I know that the OPM could have played one of the very first master Japanese Gold discs, but you can't help being a bit suspicious.

Even though I normally don't give the Wii credit for anything I must say that Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was amazing. This is the ONE time that they've actually managed to make the controls work the way they should. The aiming was top notch and the tank controls weren't as bad as they could have been.

agreed. the re5 demo made me go back and now im finishing re4 on wii, then plan to watch the RE Degeneration movie which fills in the story between re4 and re5.

agreed. the re5 demo made me go back and now im finishing re4 on wii, then plan to watch the RE Degeneration movie which fills in the story between re4 and re5.

Oh man, don't watch RE Degeneration. Don't!

I downloaded this and KillZone 2 from the Playstation Network and couldn't control either of them. The former was stupidly clunky with the stop start nature of the moving/aiming, and I couldn't aim at anything in the latter - Playstation Control pads and first person shooters do not a happy couple make.

I downloaded this and KillZone 2 from the Playstation Network and couldn't control either of them. The former was stupidly clunky with the stop start nature of the moving/aiming, and I couldn't aim at anything in the latter - Playstation Control pads and first person shooters do not a happy couple make.

I take it you're more used to mouse/keyboard controls? It takes time, but you can get deadly accurate with analogue sticks... I personally wish there was a controller that had a mouse for aiming, and a Wii Nunchuck-like one-handed controller for movement and ancillary buttons... The Wiimote itself is not accurate enough pointing at the screen.

damn thats quite disappointing, hopefully the fear 2 demo will be more entertaining

Haha, that will only leave you more disappointed!

So... FEAR2 demo sucks too? I downloaded it, but haven't tried it. Been working my way through PixelJunk Eden, trying to finish that before SF IV and Killzone 2 come out.

only waits for killzone 2 ... resident gaeville .. can eat it ..

killzone 2 demo is the tits!

*agitates*

Agreed... but it's too fucking short! Although going through it over and over to hear the Helghast voices (so cool!) and see how many different ways you can shoot them is fun.

I take it you're more used to mouse/keyboard controls? It takes time, but you can get deadly accurate with analogue sticks...

Yeah, I'm definitely more a WASD/Mouse combo. I've never been able to play FPS's with the Playstation controller, the only pads I've been able to use for that genre are the N64 ones.

Guest blicero
I finally got around to playing this, and you know what? I hated it - sure, the graphics were pretty good (if a bit "oversharpened" - they looked as if someone applied the Unsharp Mask filter in Photoshop to the graphics too much, causing harsh white edges on objects and textures), but the real abomination was the controls - perhaps I've gotten too used to Western-style controls for FPSes and even games like Metal Gear, but it was so awkward to control, I spent more time just trying to position my guy then actually fending off the zombies. I'm going to try again, but I was really, really disappointed. To note, the last RE game I played was the Dreamcast remake of Code Veronica on the PS2 - that was pretty good, I though, and while I never finished it, I got pretty far and the control wasn't as much of an issue as it is in this game. Games like Bioshock, Resistance 2, MGS 4 and the like control so much better than this.

I agree, I think the problem is that RE refuses to evolve it's control system and inventory system, and both are DESPERATELY in need of a refresh.

My cousin played my Simpsons Hit & Run game a week ago. My memory card was full but he started a new game anyway. He played 16 hours and beat tons of missions, got further in the game than I ever have. Cause of the disappointment of not being able to save, he then wanted another game to play. RE4 was the only one left, he hated the controls (PS2) but it was so much fun watching him struggle and freak out about it that I'm looking forward to RE5 again now. Never mind the lack of innovation. :stuart:

im currently dling the demo...sorta excited, but ive never really been disappointed by a resident evil game yet.

i thought part of the allure was the clunky controller...makes it scarier....just like the fixed camera angles in the first two/three? games.

im currently dling the demo...sorta excited, but ive never really been disappointed by a resident evil game yet.

i thought part of the allure was the clunky controller...makes it scarier....

But what if the game itself isn't scary at all and the AI is too stupid to actually follow your trail or catch up on you?

i dunno....i guess ill see tonight when i play the demo.

b tw, i heard good things about the silent hill that came out......anyone play this? whats the verdict?

b tw, i heard good things about the silent hill that came out......anyone play this? whats the verdict?

Yeah, the reviews were surprisingly good, but I don't like the change of looks they gave the game. They Hollywood-ised it and made it look like something from that dreadful Silent Hill movie from 2006...

Yeah, the reviews were surprisingly good, but I don't like the change of looks they gave the game. They Hollywood-ised it and made it look like something from that dreadful Silent Hill movie from 2006...

yeah..thats why im worried about buying it...christ i have such a long queue:

MGS4

Fallout 3

Silent Hill

RE5

Dynasty Warriors

Armored Core

and so on and so on...

Guest abusivegeorge

Silent Hill was/is an extremely good game one of those games you switch on at 7 o clock and by the time your peckish and think "wheres dinner" its midnight.

Silent Hill was/is an extremely good game one of those games you switch on at 7 o clock and by the time your peckish and think "wheres dinner" its midnight.

Are you talking about the new one or the franchise in general?

Guest abusivegeorge

MGS4 from what I've seen/heard/read, hasn't got that great a review, or at least did not meet its expectations.

Are you talking about the new one or the franchise in general?

Sorry mate I'm really tired tonight for no particluar reason, I was actually talking about the years old original PS one :).

Guest awkwardsilence

Resident Evil has always had that though. Bad controls, but somehow you want to play it anyway.

(edit: Also, bad savesystem, bad/restricted inventory system)

Sure, I said I was disappointed by the demo, but I think I'm still going to pick it up, at least eventually. It remains to be seen how it turns out though, but I have a bad feeling about some of the previews for the game. Apparently the game is too much based on co-op play, and your co-op buddy stand-in in singleplayer (the chick), has really bad AI and just fucks up and uses up all your carefully collected ammo.

Archived