IGNORED

Making curry paste...

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Typically I use those prepared "10 minute curry" simmer sauces, but I decided to try to make it from scratch.

I'm about to throw this in the blender with some fish sauce, mustard, and lime juice and a bit of lite coconut milk. I figure the hotter the better, since it will go longer that way.

P1030329.jpg

I've chopped 3 white chilies, 2 "priks" or whatever they're called, 1 habanero, 1 red jalapeno, a stalk of lemongrass, some fresh ginger, 2 shallots, and a clove of elephant garlic that grows wild in my yard. I'm virtually blind at the moment as a result.

Does that sound about right? I'm actually not sure how much coconut milk to use -- or do you even use it in a paste? I'm hoping to use this stuff over the course of a week or two.

Hold the comments about my chopping skills to please. I'm not a chef, and I'm terrified of knives. Also, it took me 3 stalks of lemongrass to get an appreciable amount -- I must be doing that wrong.

I ended up using fish sauce, turmeric, 1/4 cup of coconut milk, brown sugar, lime juice, cinnamon, coriander, and a few squirts of Sriracha.

It's atrociously hot, which is good. But it is a little 'busy' compared to the Thai places I usually go to. Next time I'll use fewer ingredients.

Guest abusivegeorge

As far as turning it into a paste goes I would say that you'll need some sort of liquid to make it a little paste like I'm not sure if coconut milk is the right thing but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I'd probably just use a little bit of water if im honest.

Kool, does it taste good?

I'm not sure.

I did. It made enough to fill a peach jar.

I'm positive it would've still been a paste if I'd left it out -- the vegetables have tons more water in them than you'd think.

I'm using some plain yogurt as a base for my dinner. The coconut milk tastes amazing, but it's pure fucking fat.

The coconut milk tastes amazing, but it's pure fucking fat.

Yeah, but don't you dare buy the Coconut Milk Light.

Btw. maybe you should add some fish sauce to the curry paste. When I mix red/green curry paste together with coconut milk I add a spoonful of fish sauce to enhance the flavours.

You should buy this one...

FishSauce.jpg

But make sure not to get it on your fingers.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i.d.m.

yeah, the only thing i'd say is you really should be chopping up those veggies to be a little more fine, otherwise job well done!

OK here is an AUTHENTIC thai red curry paste recipe from a COOKBOOK my friends got from a cooking school in THAILAND !!!!!!! THIS RED CURRY PASTE IS INTENDED FOR USE IN ANYTHING EXCEPT SEA FOOD. IF U WANNA DO SEA FOOD U WANNA USE A DIFFERENT RECIPE !!!!!! ahahahhahahujjhahahhaha

Naam Prik Kaeng Phet (Red Curry Paste)

Ingredients:

8-10 dried bird chili's

5 bulb shallot

6 tbsp. garlic

3 tbsp lemon grass

2 tbsp. galangal

1 tbsp. kaffir lime outside skin

1 tsp. coriander root

1 tsp. coriander seed roasted

1 tsp. cumin roasted

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1tsp. salt

1 tsp. shrimp pasted (sic)

15 black pepper

HOW TO COOK:

Place spice mixture ingredients in mortar and pound until ground and mixed thoroughly (practice your ground and pound hahahahhhahahahhakjjsajkhasdfjhahahahahahhahaa)

IF U WANT ANY MORE AUTHENTIC THAI RECIP[ES.. HIT ME UP. LION @ WATMM.COM

The coconut milk tastes amazing, but it's pure fucking fat.

Yeah, but don't you dare buy the Coconut Milk Light.

Btw. maybe you should add some fish sauce to the curry paste. When I mix red/green curry paste together with coconut milk I add a spoonful of fish sauce to enhance the flavours.

You should buy this one...

FishSauce.jpg

But make sure not to get it on your fingers.

Actually I used light coconut milk. I used some cheap fish sauce from a generic Asian market. It smelled like a corpse's vagina.

why chop it up if you're throwing it all in a blender?

also i like to add ground almonds to my curry

The undersides of my fingernails are still on fire from the pepper chopping

make sure to rub your penis after chopping chili pepper

Guest Lady kakapo

Lion's recipe is ok, except Thai's don't use black pepper, they use white, and sometimes fresh green pepper as a garnish.

Don't add coconut milk directly to the paste. You separate the 'cream' from the 'milk', cook the cream until it 'cracks' and splits (the fat content will start seperating) and then you fry off the paste in this, and add the milk at a later stage.

Ginger is not a substitute for Galanga, they look similar but the taste is significantly different.

Ideally you should be using shrimp paste in the paste, and fish sauce to season.

Thai food is a question of balancing heat, salt, sour and sweetness, usually in that order.

If you're doing a 'green curry' it should be coloured with green chillies, and not green leafy herbs like a lot of westernised recipes.

so no lime leaves or 'thai basil'?

You can use lime leaves and peel in the paste, but not in sufficient quantities to make it green. A good trick is to use larger, less hot chillies to put more colour into the paste. Use the thai basil as a garnish.

If you want a healthier alternative to a coconut based curry, do either a sour curry (replace coconut milk with tamarind, more fish sauce and stock) or a jungle curry (stock).

Archived