IGNORED

philip k dick

Guest Z_B_Z

As has already been stated:

UBIK

Flow My Tears The Policeman Said

Man in the High Castle

Radio Free Albemuth/Valis/Divine Invasion (I know RFA isn't part of the trilogy, but it provides a great backdrop)

A Scanner Darkly

Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

To compare Dick to Hubbard is a ludicrous assertation. Yes, he was paranoid, but his writings were all about breaking down the illusory nature of the freedom we have in the world around us.

Blade Runner is the only good film adaptation, A Scanner Darkly was competent.

how the hell do you find out the author/title of a book you remember reading?

i know it was all going on on an island, then towards the end there was a catastrophe or sth, explosion maybe, most of the people died, some went on to live in caves... prolly even not a PKD book

Guest abusivegeorge

At your time of posting this thread I was chilling bed with a cup of tea watching "A Scanner Darkly", I have nothing to say but brilliant.

why did you like 'the divine invasion' so much? its been a while since i read it, so its a bit hazy in my memory.. i just remember it leaving me a bit cold

have you read r crumbs 'the religious experience of philip k dick'?

Yes I have read the comic strip.....

there is a collection of them about different genius', i.e. Tesla, Poe, Crowley, Kafka, Burroughs...

cool comic book indeed, but can't remember its title...

and I love 'The Divine Invasion' because of its subject matter being so close to my heart and my belief systems....

I would have to write an essay to explain how much and why I love this novel....

I don't see much a difference between Dick's insanity and L Ron Hubbard's psychotic ramblings. The only difference is Dick didn't turn his personal theologies into an Mafiaesque New Age cult.

The biggest difference is that PKD could write very well and had an amazing imagination while L Ron has neither of these qualities and wanted to make money by lying to people.........

agreed. We've had PKD threads before. I'm mixed on the guy. I like him more as an "idea guy" than I like his actual novels. Personally I have a low threshold for paranoid ramblings, misanthropy and misogyny. I also don't consider himself a particularly good writer, in the sense of his command of language and ear for dialogue, etc. I haven't read Valis though.

read 'VALIS', if I were to fuck a book it would be this one...

I'd recommend 'What If Our World Is Their Heaven?' a book of transcripted interviews from shortly before Dick's death, he talks a lot about his unfinished novel The Owl In Daylight which iirc is very electronic music, about a race of aliens who think in music, and put an implant in a hack hollywood composers head or something- its all about the relationship between sound, colour and maths. He talks a bit about having seen an early screening of Bladerunner and is very impressed.

read other people's posts before posting, I posted a link to this book and talked about it in length....

just a suggestion....

but yes 'The Owl in Daylight' would have been incredible!

Let us hope the film does him a bit of justice, most of the other films based on his work are unwatchable...

there is a collection of them about different genius', i.e. Tesla, Poe, Crowley, Kafka, Burroughs...

does crumb do all them? if so this sounds amazing.

does crumb do all them? if so this sounds amazing.

*of

that was bugging me

also, i just read this delightfully insane piece by terence mkcenna called "i understand philip k dick"

http://www.sirbacon.org/dick.htm

"How many deluded, or illuminated ecstatics does it take to make a reality?"

I love dick.

lol

Seriously tho, man in the high castle, do androids dream of electric sheep, dr bloodmoney (or how we got along after the bomb), valis, divine invasion, the three stigmata of palmer eldritch, ubik - all great. For shear amount of great books, PKD is up there personally.

I remember reading that Bladerunner was nothing like how he envisioned the book (it was pretty damn different right!?), but he liked the money. I have always disliked the movie and thought the book amazing but whatever. I am probably empirically wrong if that cuts down on the bitching :)

some Dick I have not even bothered to finish tho, also not a flow my tears fan for one reason or another..

how the hell do you find out the author/title of a book you remember reading?

i know it was all going on on an island, then towards the end there was a catastrophe or sth, explosion maybe, most of the people died, some went on to live in caves... prolly even not a PKD book

anyone?

why did you like 'the divine invasion' so much? its been a while since i read it, so its a bit hazy in my memory.. i just remember it leaving me a bit cold

have you read r crumbs 'the religious experience of philip k dick'?

and I love 'The Divine Invasion' because of its subject matter being so close to my heart and my belief systems....

I would have to write an essay to explain how much and why I love this novel....

I don't see much a difference between Dick's insanity and L Ron Hubbard's psychotic ramblings. The only difference is Dick didn't turn his personal theologies into an Mafiaesque New Age cult.

The biggest difference is that PKD could write very well and had an amazing imagination while L Ron has neither of these qualities and wanted to make money by lying to people.........

agreed. We've had PKD threads before. I'm mixed on the guy. I like him more as an "idea guy" than I like his actual novels. Personally I have a low threshold for paranoid ramblings, misanthropy and misogyny. I also don't consider himself a particularly good writer, in the sense of his command of language and ear for dialogue, etc. I haven't read Valis though.

read 'VALIS', if I were to fuck a book it would be this one...

I'd recommend 'What If Our World Is Their Heaven?' a book of transcripted interviews from shortly before Dick's death, he talks a lot about his unfinished novel The Owl In Daylight which iirc is very electronic music, about a race of aliens who think in music, and put an implant in a hack hollywood composers head or something- its all about the relationship between sound, colour and maths. He talks a bit about having seen an early screening of Bladerunner and is very impressed.

read other people's posts before posting, I posted a link to this book and talked about it in length....

just a suggestion....

but yes 'The Owl in Daylight' would have been incredible!

Let us hope the film does him a bit of justice, most of the other films based on his work are unwatchable...

nah I don't like reading other peoples posts, theyre usually too full of suggestions.

Ive read

Do androids dream of electric sheep

Scanner darkly

And one what i cant find or remember the title, but i remember it had Abe Lincon as a robot and possibly another former president, i just remember it being an odd read.

As for the film adaptions ive seen a few, Blade runner and Scanner darkly being the best and Next and Pay check being the worst

Archived