IGNORED

This has been bugging me for years

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

This regards my download folder. Sometimes, I want to sort it by name to find a file. Other times, i want to sort it by DATE MODIFIED so I can go right to recently downloaded stuff.

However, because there are mp3s in it and such, Windows XP decides it's a MEDIA FOLDER, so when I right-click arrange-by, there is NAME, SIZE, TYPE, ARTIST all sorts of bullshit i don't ever use. BUT THERE IS NO DATED MODIFIED!!

to get ARRANGE BY DATE MODIFIED, i have to:

1) right click, view, details

2) right click on the column header that appears

3) check "date modified"

4) click on it to sort

5) put the folder back to the view i actually want.

every couple days, it seems, it decides it's an mp3 folder again and date modified goes away.

THIS IS INCREDIBLY GODDAMN ANNOYING!! halp

This regards my download folder. Sometimes, I want to sort it by name to find a file. Other times, i want to sort it by DATE MODIFIED so I can go right to recently downloaded stuff.

However, because there are mp3s in it and such, Windows XP decides it's a MEDIA FOLDER, so when I right-click arrange-by, there is NAME, SIZE, TYPE, ARTIST all sorts of bullshit i don't ever use. BUT THERE IS NO DATED MODIFIED!!

3) check "date modified"

4) click on it to sort

every couple days, it seems, it decides it's an mp3 folder again and date modified goes away.

check folder options, i think you can set it so that it always shows up that way

ive been having xp issues too, when i get a folder too full, like 30gb of files over or around 1gb each, explorer crashes

Yeah. Vista is notorious for this bullshit. Insanely frustrating, as I NEVER want to sort files by artist, album, or RATING. terrible. Never had too many issues with this on XP, though I did manage to permanently reverse all of my files on my one laptop, so whenever I want to browse by folder, I have to right click and sort by name, and then the folders will appear on the top like they should. I know that sounds lazy, but it mostly frustrating because I don't know how to fix it.

i like to have most of the mp3 tags showing in columns (year, album title, track number)

each time i re-visit them, my luke vibert and u-ziq folders get reset to [Name] [Type]

lol :[

i have 2 extremely ludicrous ideas....

1: when selecting a file sorting option from an (endless and useless list) i.e. sort by date, that preference should be saved so i don't have to fucking reselect it (from the endless list) every fucking time

2: when i use a specific program and i often use the ''open'' or ''save'' button, i often have to browse through the same folder, and everytime i go back to opening a different file in the same folder i have to go through all other preceding folders before going in that specific folder i often use.

so for those who don't have a short memory, there should be a genius invention called : ''not having to reclick through every fucking folder to reach in the foler i often use with a specific program....

i think im a genius....

thanks vista

for xp users, you can try microsoft's tweak UI. use this to customize tons of settings in xp like autoplay, which options come up when you right click to make a new file, indexing hdds when idle, etc. i am not sure if it can customize what youre talking about, but it is definitely worth a try.

Yeah. Vista is notorious for this bullshit. Insanely frustrating, as I NEVER want to sort files by artist, album, or RATING. terrible.

this is why i went back to xp.

3) check "date modified"

4) click on it to sort

make a new folder. copy the files. delete the old folder.

be careful not to copy over any desktop.ini files in the process.

Archived