IGNORED

Pot Legalized (California)???

karmakramer

misleading thread title, theres almost no way this will get passed. however if it does get passed, the legal age will be 21 which i think is kind of humorous.

I think in this economy (California is fucked right now), this idea will be received with open arms. Its just too logical to not do it... Billionaire dollar industry getting NO TAXES... what the fuck here.

Its clear where the American people stand when the fucking crop is sold/grown more then any other motherflippin thing you can find at your grocery store. If it was legal... holy fucking shit.

In Belgium weed is hitting the headlines every month to tell us it's a problem. And it seems they are fighting it in Holland as well. And this is cannabis-friendly territory.

So legalizing it in an American state? Seems impossible. But maybe you guys are willing to do anything for the money.

Guest Hanratty

If it happens California will be THE vacation spot in the U.S. (for me anyways).

The combination of good Mexican food, great weather, and high quality reefer will make California unstoppable.

Guest hahathhat

- what's it mean if cali legalizes it, but the federal government refuses to? obama's admin as come right out and said WE DO NOT SUPPORT LEGALIZATION.

- on another note, i've heard it's harder for underage kids in amsterdam to get weed than in the US, because there it's all regulated... that could, of course, be bullshit, it's something i read on the internets.

- how do you start taxing this shit?? if i lived in cali and weed were legalized, i'd be buying an ounce and tell the guy, "hey i owe you $50 taxes for this" "yeah you do" and we'd both have a good laugh about it

- on another note, i've heard it's harder for underage kids in amsterdam to get weed than in the US, because there it's all regulated... that could, of course, be bullshit, it's something i read on the internets.

It is regulated indeed. But you can always ask an older friend. The minimum age is 18, not 21.

- how do you start taxing this shit?? if i lived in cali and weed were legalized, i'd be buying an ounce and tell the guy, "hey i owe you $50 taxes for this" "yeah you do" and we'd both have a good laugh about it

the same way it works in holland... and in the 'medical mj' circles. it's the same theory as anything, actually. it would be taxable because cafes (or something similar) would be selling it. those legal businesses would have to pay taxes on their revenues, just like a grocery store.

your argument is sound, but it's the same as me buying (or growing) a bunch of lettuce, and then selling it to a friend. the taxation comes in with the legitimisation of the businesses selling it.

having recently obtained my CA cannabis card, i'd MUCH rather go in to my local dispensary and choose from 20+ varieties, baked goods, sodas, etc. and talk to a guy who runs this business professionally than to pay whatever arbitrary prices some guy wants to charge me for the god-knows-what he's selling.

the dispensaries in my neighborhood are starting to be reviewed on yelp - customer service and quality goes up 100 fold when it becomes 'legitimate' as well...

anyway, that's my 8 cents.

c

Guest Al Hounos

i don't hold out much hope for it, but i will say this: if it does happen, we can thank the recession, and if it happens in CA, it will spread to other states quickly.

If it happens California will be THE vacation spot in the U.S. (for me anyways).

The combination of good Mexican food, great weather, and high quality reefer will make California unstoppable.

this is potentially a huge problem. If california legalizes it (isnt it just decriminalized in holland?) everyone is going to try to smuggle and export weed out of the state because it cheaper than anywhere else, and very much quality. I can see that creating a lot of drug crime. If legalization is going to work smoothly it would have to be at a national level, or at least 20 or 30 states at a time. I dont want cali to legalize it only to have drug wars break out which will only act as fodder for the conservatives to keep it illegal. Not to mention legalization is going to mean a LOT of people are going to start abusing it, which is just more reason for the anti-drug folk to criminalize it, and once its illegal, its going to be another 10-30 years before people start to consider legalizing it again.

Guest David R James

this is potentially a huge problem. If california legalizes it (isnt it just decriminalized in holland?) everyone is going to try to smuggle and export weed out of the state because it cheaper than anywhere else, and very much quality. I can see that creating a lot of drug crime. If legalization is going to work smoothly it would have to be at a national level, or at least 20 or 30 states at a time. I dont want cali to legalize it only to have drug wars break out which will only act as fodder for the conservatives to keep it illegal. Not to mention legalization is going to mean a LOT of people are going to start abusing it, which is just more reason for the anti-drug folk to criminalize it, and once its illegal, its going to be another 10-30 years before people start to consider legalizing it again.

If its legal in CA its gona have to be legal everywhere in the us

Guest Drahken

I don't know about the rest of you, but it was a hell of a lot easier for me to find a bag than a case of beer when I was in high school.

Guest Hanratty

I don't know about the rest of you, but it was a hell of a lot easier for me to find a bag than a case of beer when I was in high school.

true. true.

but what about smoking and driving? My gut tells me that most people will not really be that much worse at driving then when sober, at least compared to drinking.

Archived