ASA 3
Acid In The Style Of David Tudor
Ten

Total Time: 51:53

Produced by Florian Hecker

Booklet Essay by Robin Mackay
Typesetting by Tina Frank
Mastered by Rashad Becker

‘Acid In The Style Of David Tudor’ is Florian Hecker’s first full length studio (as opposed to collections and commissions for art installations) album since 2003, when the groundbreaking ‘Sun Pandämonium’ was unleashed by Mego. Since then he has collaborated on audio projects with Yasunao Tone, Russell Haswell (as Haswell & Hecker) and a forthcoming live collaboration with Richard James as well a myriad of sound installation works, individually and with numerous artists worldwide.
As the title suggests this album is referencing the parallel universes of modern 20th century composition and hedonistic rave culture. A challenging but ultimately rewarding set of Electronic Music compositions which push these two reference points into unknown areas.
Set in apparent contrast are the sequence of six pieces Acid In The Style of David Tudor, where hyperchaotic functions are inherently coupled to their sources of manipulation - a Buchla modular synthesizer in combination with a Comdyna analog computer - in opposition to the ASA pieces, fruit of a complex manipulation of distinct auditory patterns into a new acoustic whole. The closing Ten opens with an intense head related localization blur. Here, virtual binaural, stereophonic, biphonic and monaural sound reproduction coexist. All three approaches are displayed into a contrasting dynamics, where non- linear waveforms and psychoacoustic illusions that constantly push our perceptual and representational fabrics. Following the ideas of Robin Mackay, Hecker’s work reinstanciates the genetic ofness, once proposed by philosopher David Kaplan, cutting both genetic and cultural territories of hearing.
This release is available as CD and download with an extensive 12 page essay ‘Climate of Bass Hunter: Florian Hecker, Acid in the Style of David Tudor’ by Robin Mackay, founding editor of Collapse.
It is recommended to listen to this material on loudspeakers at high volume. Headphone use is not advised.

http://www.editionsmego.com/twiki/bin/view...go/PurchasePage

/////////////////////////

+ limited edition cassette (out now on Tochnit aleph)

Hecker - Live @ WDR Cassette
Produced and performed by Florian Hecker. Recorded live at WDR Mehrzweck-Sendestudio, Cologne 26.09.2007. Edition of 200 Copies. Pro-duplicated & printed 60 minute cassettes with luxurious embossed silver-foil print cover.

http://mailorder.tochnit-aleph.com/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

despite the press release & article reading like a Haflerian academia spoof

despite the comdyna being a lazy alternative to breadboarding your schem discretely

...looking forward to hearing this

Guest tapage

isn't tudor the pianist that worked together with John Cage a lot?

anyways

curious about this

I'm going to see him perform live with AFX next month :)

Guest spraaaa

previews sound way cool... wetter and squishier sounds than I've heard from Hecker before.

I'd love to hear some of this stuff remixed by SND, T++, Ae etc... anyone with a weird enough sense of rhythm to do something that would fit. it's so much fun mixing him with other stuff cuz of all the spatialization.

• 2 weeks later...

xxx: Agreed. Totally. I was excited by the title. And the Buchla. Turns out it's just noise/standard Hecker pretentious art wank.

Come on, why has music drooped to this lower level of arrogant shit and lost its purpose? This stuff is not new, it's not exciting, it's not danceable, it's not relaxing, it's plain stupid. The whole abstract/avant-garde thing was done a lot better years ago by innovators, many of them using stupidly simple equipment at the time. I wouldn't be so objective if this whole movement didn't have such a sense of "new album. limited to 9.3 copies. on tape." attitude. I respect people like Carsten Nicolai and Ryoji Ikeda - yes, they're doing avant/abstract stuff - but it has direction, it has purpose. This shit doesn't. It's overpriced, overrated wank.

That first sample is clipping for fuck's sake.

Guest Glass Plate

I feel like it's not amazing, but at the same time I really like it. It does have a very acidic rhythm/vibe. I could see people dancing to it in some retro future stylist film.

I want to hear the whole album still.

I mean there's been very little discussion about the David Tudor half of the title, are you all familiar with some of his philosophies? Such as the loudspeaker being it's own instrument rather than a device to replicate all other sounds, it's simply not designed to do that, and it's a bit absurd to treat it like that. I feel like this album REALLY reflects that philosophy, there is a total awareness of the speaker system that mediates the digital data into vibrations.

oh well, it's not afx WHE WHE HWEHWEHWEHWHE

Guest Phasen

Umm, really people?

Good god, if this is more 'musical' than his previous work I would absolutely HATE to hear anything else from this guy.

Artsy Fartsy 'you just dont get it' shit if you ask me.

Archived