IGNORED

Tell me what to do watmm

Siegecow

So i recently "took a break" from (dropped out of) art school because i wasnt learning enough shit to justify the debt i would be putting myself in if i kept at it. Ive taken this time to work on creative projects-- most of which have been postponed due to money and job probs, leaving me to ponder what next to due with my life come autumn.

First option would be to go to sound school in san fran/vancouver for a year, if i go to vancouver i get a good education in post production and probably end up working in movies or video game audio, if i go to san fran i get a more of a broader education in general audio production and probably end up interning at sony. Doesnt provide a whole lot of job security, but it would be a whole lot of fun to be that well-versed in audio. Would probably be very lame socially as i'd probably just be hanging out with audio nerds for the next few years.

Second option is to go to state college for 4 years and get some sort of degree in chemistry or agricultural science, and minor in business or something. This way i either become a chemist or try to end hunger. Provides a good deal of job security and is socially very fulfilling as i meet people in college and "bum" the coeds 2 years younger than me, i also (hopefully) get a broader understanding and appreciation for nature. Unfortunately im not amazing at math and science and it would be a challenge to jump through all those academic hoops. Also, creative pursuits get pushed into the background maybe to be forgotten.

Third option is YOU DECIDE (suggestions: traveling, start my own business, become a monk, live on a boat, kill myself, become a freelance artist, stop posting, etc etc.)

tldr: see third option

Judging by the way you phrased things, it seems you prefer option 2.

I'm pretty content working run of the mill entry level jobs for rent & food money whilst pursuing creative endeavors. Merely the act of doing something creative brings me satisfaction, even without any ego gratification for a job well done. Of course it would be nice to live entirely off of music but it seems an unrealistic goal given the current state of the world and how all music is essentially free now (which I am an advocate of).

"Starving artist" really isn't just a cliche'd expression. If you truly want to dedicate yourself wholeheartedly to a life of art creation/exhibition, be prepared to live off ramen and pay rent out of your savings account for quite some time.

That being said, I'll be looking for a buddy to travel around Europe with this summer so you could always do that. Traveling rocks.

SF kind of sucks for audio.

With the ensuing depression, I would suggest something with the best job security.

"Starving artist" really isn't just a cliche'd expression. If you truly want to dedicate yourself wholeheartedly to a life of art creation/exhibition, be prepared to live off ramen and pay rent out of your savings account for quite some time.

lol unless you're good at it

Right, because you'll just play a few shows at local bars and Rephlex will swoop in and give you a huge record deal with which you can buy that nice penthouse suite you've had your eye on. :rolleyes:

Right, because you'll just play a few shows at local bars and Rephlex will swoop in and give you a huge record deal with which you can buy that nice penthouse suite you've had your eye on. :rolleyes:

i dunno ask wisp

obviously you aren't going to be rollin deep, but if you make something people like, and you actively try to get it to the people that like it, you will invariably profit from it.

Judging by the way you phrased things, it seems you prefer option 2.

I'm pretty content working run of the mill entry level jobs for rent & food money whilst pursuing creative endeavors. Merely the act of doing something creative brings me satisfaction, even without any ego gratification for a job well done. Of course it would be nice to live entirely off of music but it seems an unrealistic goal given the current state of the world and how all music is essentially free now (which I am an advocate of).

That being said, I'll be looking for a buddy to travel around Europe with this summer so you could always do that. Traveling rocks.

But the thing is, is it sustainable? Fucking around with art all my life would be lots of fun, but what if after a while i started to get sick of it? or wanted to raise a family? Sometimes i question how much of an artist i really am, but ive always known myself more as an artist than a scientist

With the ensuing depression, I would suggest something with the best job security.

Where's better?

Job security is definitely important to me at this point, but i doubt/hope that we wouldnt still be in a depression by the time im out of school. I'm more worried about environmental changes potentially fucking with the economy and perhaps forcing a lot of moves.

Where's better?

Job security is definitely important to me at this point, but i doubt/hope that we wouldnt still be in a depression by the time im out of school. I'm more worried about environmental changes potentially fucking with the economy and perhaps forcing a lot of moves.

New York, Chicago, or LA, unless you get a technical degree designing loud speakers. In that case, Meyer Sound is stationed right across the bay in Berkeley.

Even Boston is better for audio than SF.

But the thing is, is it sustainable?

If you 1) develop a live following and keep doing shows for 40 or so years or 2) keep putting out well-selling studio releases all the time ala Vsnares.

Otherwise, I'd say no.

what about going to bartender academy or cooking school? I see ads for cooks/tenders all the time, education would probably be cheap. Too bad i dont smoke and sopranos says the restaurant business poops on your head

do something in vancouver, learn to clean up the east side. also, you'd have the awesome chance of getting to meet essines. in person.

but i agree, option 2 sounds best, you're kind of asking the same questions i am.

what about going to bartender academy or cooking school? I see ads for cooks/tenders all the time, education would probably be cheap. Too bad i dont smoke and sopranos says the restaurant business poops on your head

I've worked foodservice quite a bit. It's really exhausting work, but being a server can land you with a nice wad of cash in your pocket if you're at a place that gets good business or serves wicked expensive food.

I'm actually taking bartending classes next month and am just going to travel doing that wherever I go. I think it's a good plan (for me) because there'll always be a market for booze. I don't care about occupation or wages so much as living somewhere where it's not so damn cold 50% of the year.

I wouldn't use that as a long term "this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life" plan, but I don't really make those kinds of plans. :undecided:

do something in vancouver, learn to clean up the east side. also, you'd have the awesome chance of getting to meet essines. in person.

but i agree, option 2 sounds best, you're kind of asking the same questions i am.

haha vancouver was fun while it lasted but im a bit bored of it really, plus its getting super fucked from the olympics

figure out what your goals are and what you want to accomplish with your life

figure out what you want to accomplish 2 years from now, 5 years, 10 years

then do it

See, i dont have any one particular goal in mind, i dont really care what im doing in 2, 5 or 10 years from now as long as im satisfied doing it, there's so many opportunities that will be potentially satisfying in some way, it's hard to decide when the future is so uncertain. I'm wondering what people think of their choices, if maybe they wished they hadnt gone to college for a 9 to 5 and instead decided to start a business, pursue wanderlust or a simpler life. Or conversely been more responsible and secured their future

So i recently "took a break" from (dropped out of) art school because i wasnt learning enough shit to justify the debt i would be putting myself in if i kept at it. Ive taken this time to work on creative projects-- most of which have been postponed due to money and job probs, leaving me to ponder what next to due with my life come autumn.

First option would be to go to sound school in san fran/vancouver for a year, if i go to vancouver i get a good education in post production and probably end up working in movies or video game audio, if i go to san fran i get a more of a broader education in general audio production and probably end up interning at sony. Doesnt provide a whole lot of job security, but it would be a whole lot of fun to be that well-versed in audio. Would probably be very lame socially as i'd probably just be hanging out with audio nerds for the next few years.

Second option is to go to state college for 4 years and get some sort of degree in chemistry or agricultural science, and minor in business or something. This way i either become a chemist or try to end hunger. Provides a good deal of job security and is socially very fulfilling as i meet people in college and "bum" the coeds 2 years younger than me, i also (hopefully) get a broader understanding and appreciation for nature. Unfortunately im not amazing at math and science and it would be a challenge to jump through all those academic hoops. Also, creative pursuits get pushed into the background maybe to be forgotten.

Third option is YOU DECIDE (suggestions: traveling, start my own business, become a monk, live on a boat, kill myself, become a freelance artist, stop posting, etc etc.)

tldr: see third option

you obviously have the time and money to go back to school

i'd say study more abroad than Vancouver..since your parents seem well off.

Guest Mr Salads

I think if you dont have a goal, its not going to help you. Finding what you want is the easy part, getting it is whats hard. So you may be better off just going with the flow at a 4 year school and seeing where it takes you.

Guest theSun
I'm sure Wisp worked really hard to enjoy the success he has at the moment.

last i heard his hummer had 47" platinum rims and a jacuzzi.

Archived