IGNORED

Are you able to do this in music theory?

Guest joshier

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier

Can someone tell me if that clip I posted on page 1 was correct or not?

To my ears it sounded ok

Guest joshier

To my ears it sounded ok

if you like it it's fine.

Does it sound bad or totally out of tune to anyone else?

Guest joshier
Joshier, you're always correct.

Can you just give me an honest opinion. I know you hate me with a passion.

Any note can be flat or sharp, so you can have, for example, an E sharp. Looking at the keyboard and remembering that the definition of sharp is "one half step higher than natural", you can see that an E sharp must sound the same as an F natural

I wrote that above. I'm fuck smart.

half step, is that an american term? semitone is generally the accepted terminology

but youre right, every note NAME can be flat or sharp. An E sharp becomes an F natural yes, this is called an enharmonic (the same way that g flat and f sharp are the same note in equal temperament). USUALLY the flats and sharps will correspond to black keys on the piano because this was the way it made sense to lay the instrument basing the white notes on the notes of the scale of C Major. The fact that E sharp and B sharp (equally F flat and c flat) are white notes is due to the fact that the major scale is comprised of intervals of both tones and semitones. Also notes can have double sharps (denoted by an x symbol) and double flats (denoted by two flat symbols) although these are only useful in notating functional harmony where it is important to know how each degree of the scale funtions.

edit. also there is no need to use f flat for what youre doing, just use e

Guest Iain C
Joshier, you're always correct.

Can you just give me an honest opinion. I know you hate me with a passion.

It's a bit dissonant but if you like it who cares? What loganfive's been saying. It doesn't sound massively offensive. And I don't hate anyone on watmm, I just troll.

Guest joshier
sounds like metroidz. don't listen to you're friend. who is anybody to say it is wrong?

Clearly my friend. He's on 5 horses stacked on top of each other you see.

To my ears it sounded ok

if you like it it's fine.

Does it sound bad or totally out of tune to anyone else?

what clip? So the question was if a sequence of gsharp, e and d-sharp is correct or incorrect music?

where the fuck have you been the past 100 years? ever heard of john cage?

Oh and yeah, beethoven used your sequence in Nocturne, so it must be okay. He also changed the g-flat into an f after 2 bars.

dissonance and consonance are equally useful musical tools.

lol.

tools.

half step, is that an american term? semitone is generally the accepted terminology

Does "semi-" still mean half in the UK?

naw man, it's when you get a bit of a boner on the bus.

Guest joshier
what clip? So the question was if a sequence of gsharp, e and d-sharp is correct or incorrect music?

where the fuck have you been the past 100 years? ever heard of john cage?

I personally don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't have posted this if my friend hadn't been almost personally offended and laughed a lot after at the thought of my lack of knowledge.

http://selentice.net/clip_1.mp3

(the clip in question)

okay people

the term "SHARP" just means one semitone UP from whatever note it refers to.

example 1: A# is one semitone up from A.

example 2: E# is one semitone up from E. (yes, this is another correct way to refer to the note more commonly known as F)

the term "FLAT" just means one semitone DOWN from whatever note it refers to.

so every note has a corresponding sharp and flat, regardless of what color the key is. ignore the colors.

example: G# has both a sharp (A) and a flat (G).

This is not music theory. This is fact.

example: G# has both a sharp (A) and a flat (G).

no not really, g has a double sharp (enharmonic a) a single sharp (g sharp or a flat) and a natural which is naturally g natural... naturally.

like i said, it corresponds to the note names.

joshier, please punch your friend for me the next time you see him, because he's not being a good friend and definitely not being a good musician.

That melody is perfectly fine, I like it. but change the lead patch away from that "trance lead 2624806" preset, that is more offending to my ears.

joshier, please punch your friend for me the next time you see him, because he's not being a good friend and definitely not being a good musician.

That melody is perfectly fine, I like it.

This.

By the way, a note used that is out of key in a melody is called an "accidental".

Your friend can go fuck himself.

Guest joshier

Here's the whole thing.. it's 12 minutes of random clips I been playing with.

link

Guest joshier

Oh and, thanks guys for being knowledgeable. I'm always quite hesitant to delve into music theory because there's so much to it.

That melody is fine. Sounds like an Indian scale.

This.

By the way, a note used that is out of key in a melody is called an "accidental".

Your friend can go fuck himself.

It's only an "accidental" if it's written down. It only pertains to notation.

Archived