IGNORED

Are you able to do this in music theory?

Guest joshier

example: G# has both a sharp (A) and a flat (G).

no not really, g has a double sharp (enharmonic a) a single sharp (g sharp or a flat) and a natural which is naturally g natural... naturally.

but don't you see that any note has any amount of sharps and flats you want? for example G# could also be called C########. it's just a way of referring to a specific note. instead of using a 12 letter system we use a 7 letter system and use "sharp" or "flat" to signify plus or minus 1 semitone.

like i said, it corresponds to the note names.

perhaps we're saying the same thing... if so, my bad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
example: G# has both a sharp (A) and a flat (G).

no not really, g has a double sharp (enharmonic a) a single sharp (g sharp or a flat) and a natural which is naturally g natural... naturally.

but don't you see that any note has any amount of sharps and flats you want? for example G# could also be called C########. it's just a way of referring to a specific note. instead of using a 12 letter system we use a 7 letter system and use "sharp" or "flat" to signify plus or minus 1 semitone.

like i said, it corresponds to the note names.

perhaps we're saying the same thing... if so, my bad.

yeah i get you but you were just overcomplicating it, and in musical notation the maximum you can have is a double sharp or a double flat i.e. a C# flattened is just a c natural not a c#b.

edit: which you know but i was just being clear

in musical notation the maximum you can have is a double sharp or a double flat

This also depends on the composition, though.  I remember my theory instructor describing one genre that made use of four triple-sharps (I think it was a jazz piece), but I don't remember the context (solo, and/or instrument), either.

in musical notation the maximum you can have is a double sharp or a double flat

This also depends on the composition, though. I remember my theory instructor describing one genre that made use of four triple-sharps (I think it was a jazz piece), but I don't remember the context (solo, and/or instrument), either.

are you sure? I've never seen triple sharps. Would be interesting to see.

edit: wikipedia informs me you're correct. Strange, as a pianist who specializes in contemporary music i'm surprised i haven't come across it.

are you sure? I've never seen triple sharps. Would be interesting to see.

edit: wikipedia informs me you're correct. Strange, as a pianist who specializes in contemporary music i'm surprised i haven't come across it.

I've never seen it, but the way I understand scales, you could theoretically make them sharp or flat until you come to the octave (why not just choose to change the key is the composer's problem).  After all, music is largely a series of numbers (hertz) with labels (note-names) attached.

It's called music theory for a reason. You can add as many sharps or flats as you want. If you want people to play it, however, you'll make it easy to read.

Archived