IGNORED

embeded MP3 player widget (flash?)

bomb23

Can anyone recommend an MP3 player widget that hides the URL of the MP3 file so the user can't download it? I like the one used here (WATMM) but it's too easy to download the file. Is hiding the playlist or direct link an option?

I was looking at XSPF, but the problem with it is that you can easily access the playlist, which then gives you the URL to the MP3 file.

thanx!

Can anyone recommend an MP3 player widget that hides the URL of the MP3 file so the user can't download it? I like the one used here (WATMM) but it's too easy to download the file. Is hiding the playlist or direct link an option?

I was looking at XSPF, but the problem with it is that you can easily access the playlist, which then gives you the URL to the MP3 file.

thanx!

You're going to need a script (PHP would work) to pass the URL through so the player can access it, but the URL is hidden.

Do a Google Search for "Mp3 player protected path" (without quotes) and see what comes up.

Guest EDGEY
Dude if you can hear it, you can download it. You'll never be able to battle against

I built my own custom flash player, with an encrypted URL being passed to it, that only plays 90 seconds of an MP3. Works for me: http://www.edgey.net

http://www.edgey.net/mp3mp3mp3mp3mp3mp3/EDGEY--[replaced, don't want to spread your links ;)].mp3

Great encryption. :)

You'll really need PHP to lock out most of the users. You can generate a UUID in Flash, encrypt that, store it in the database. Apart from decompiling and finding out the MD5 or SHA1 hash, there's no way to request the MP3 twice with the same url.

Guest EDGEY
Great encryption. :)

I never got around to finishing it - I had an "offset" to the encryption method so it would change according to the computer clock, but turned out to be too buggy, the passed variables could wind up being different the decryption variable, and the software could stop working... the next step was to put everything behind the www root, and then use an octet stream mime type (which would just prompt a "save as" dialog modal towards an empty file with the wrong header type) to pass it back and actually stream it (which is probably the safest method), and remove it from the public side of the server alltogether. It's a work in prgress (I'd rather program beats, than program code).

Guest EDGEY

I forgot there's also that URL ReWrite Module (thats what it is for IIS, I think it's even easier with UNIX boxes with mod rewrite or something?), then you can just toss everything behind the firewall, and access it without providing public links...

Archived