IGNORED

Recommend me a book

Guest Christoph

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yukio Mishima's "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion".

Careful with this one. It will effectively turn you into a nihilist for a brief stretch.

[edit]

About the Author...

"On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp—the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[4] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The customary kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, but Morita was unable to properly perform the task: after several attempts, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima.

Another traditional element of the suicide ritual was the composition of jisei (death poems) before their entry into the headquarters.[6] Mishima planned his suicide meticulously for at least a year and no one outside the group of hand-picked Tatenokai members had any indication of what he was planning. His biographer, translator and former friend John Nathan suggests that the coup attempt was only a pretext for the ritual suicide of which Mishima had long dreamed.[7] Mishima made sure his affairs were in order and left money for the legal defence of the three surviving Tatenokai members."

the dark tower series by stephen king is really IDM.

Its a 7 book series, and its not horror at all so forget what you think you know about king.

In a nutshell, the first book begins with a gunslinger chasing a man in black across a desert. He needs to catch him so he can be told where to find the dark tower. Once he has this information he will embark on a huge quest to travel to the 6 ends of the energy beams that hold up the tower. You see, the beams are weakening, and the world has moved on, and it is nigh apocalypse. Actually the whole idea is exactly the type of world I think AE always stresses.

It starts out like a western/adventure, but the world grows and contains:

- Robot wolves that kidnap children

- Clouds called 'thinny's' that are essentially places where reality is dangerously thin

- Freestanding doors that open through into our world (the real one)

- Heroin addicts

- A schizophrenic paraplegic black lady in a wheelchair (one of the main characters)

- A train called Blaine the mono that tells riddles to its passengers

- An epic battle with a huge cyborg grizzly bear

holy shit. List goes on. Stephen king is famous for a reason - he is a GOOD fucking author. His general style of writing is not so good because Its just too samey (horror novels) but this Epic fucking series is easily the best I've ever read and deals with alot of metaphysical stuff too

If Stephen fucking King is IDM than so is Dan Brown

was it you who said to read bright lights big city?

well i did, finished it a few months ago... really fun book.. dark and depressing, nice though!

reminded me of the first few chapters of glamorama.

Guest analogue wings

well i did, finished it a few months ago... really fun book.. dark and depressing, nice though!

i havent read BLBS yet but i plan to - it was me that told you to FINISH Glamorama lol

i havent read BLBS yet but i plan to - it was me that told you to FINISH Glamorama lol

ah shit. i havnt even touched that book for about a year...plus the book mark fell out of it too. think i got up to the point where they blew a car up in belgium or france.

i havtn read in a long while, last book i read was lunar park by bee accompanied by the audio books spoken by james van der beek, thought it was a wicked book.. loved it

its a comic book but oh well. im reading this right now and its fucking blowing my mind

from-hell.jpg

I wish I had a copy, have read it and need to reread it, fuck that goddamned film version, this book is one of the best!

Guest Z_B_Z
its a comic book but oh well. im reading this right now and its fucking blowing my mind

from-hell.jpg

I wish I had a copy, have read it and need to reread it, fuck that goddamned film version, this book is one of the best!

ive read the killing joke, the watchman, v for vendetta and now am working my way through from hell. where to from here? im digging alan moore a ton these days. fantastic writer and thinker

Guest Rabid

Glad to see you've read House of Leaves, very "IDM" indeed.

Also, anything by Vonnegut.

from-hell.jpg

ive read the killing joke, the watchman, v for vendetta and now am working my way through from hell. where to from here? im digging alan moore a ton these days. fantastic writer and thinker

PROMETHEA!

Guest analogue wings

PROMETHEA!

And Top Ten!

And maybe Swamp Thing (tho you have to remember that no superhero had ever had an existential crisis before to really appreciate that one)

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke

Yes! That reminds me I need to find my copy of the sequel to this and read that I finish 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'. Which is good too, by the way, don't know if it's IDM but it's my first time reading Murakami and I like it.

Archived