IGNORED

Alien film: District 9

Guest joshier

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's really refreshing to see that with all the crappy derivative films and remakes being made these days, there's still some really cool and original ideas coming out of hollywood.

The fact that they showed all the guns was really awesome as well.

What a deviding movie. Some people seem to love it, while some hate it. I'm in between. Anyone else?

I mean, the idea is great, they spiled it to a too big degree, but the flick is still fun, special even (for hollywood standards). Could be worse and could be better. Let's wait for some time to see how it ages.

Guest joshier

I have to say to all you guys, HDDVD is good, but blu-Ray kicks fucking ass. I can't wait to see this movie in that format.

It has to be 5 times better than cinema (as long as you have a big tv/high res).

Here's an example, I saw some shitty new movie on a blu ray player with a standard hd tv, the camera panned to a typical scene .. park bench with people sitting down. You could see peoples skin in hyper detail, I thought - fuck - the cinema's been ripping me off.

great movie, we need more hard R action/scifi movies like this in the future. Im sick of shit like Live Free or Die Hard being the norm for action these days, sanitized piece of shit. Not since Total Recall have i felt this kicked in the balls by a scifi film

Guest joshier

I was only really put off by the poor acting during the faux-documentary bits. That was just terribly done. And Wikus' change in character seemed slightly abrupt.

What about the main characters accent? very annoying. In spite of this, it's still a great film.

the premise is interesting and so is the first quarter of the film, but after that its just cliches upon cliches..

some sweet starship troopers flavor but pretty bad overall

agreed.

It's just a style that hasn't been done before, having it start like a mockumentary and progressing into a full fledged cinematic film. The art design was awesome, and there is a ton of subversive stuff going on. It clearly parallels the way we treat immigrants and people who are not like ourselves. One line in particular illustrates this. It goes something like "We were expecting angels and bright lights from the heavens, but they were just..." Which kinda shows that if the aliens had looked normal and had more normal habits/behaviors we would have treated them totally differently.

Serious plot spoilers below:

Then there's the irony about how the main character is derogatory towards the prawns at the beginning, but ultimately he becomes one of them at the end. Also, him having an alien hand was a really clever way of having him be able to use alien weaponry and I totally didn't see that coming

Guest fondles the cat

there's also the irony of aicn fanboys assuming christopher johnson is from a more intelligent, productive caste of alien in a story about racism.

This was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's really refreshing to see that with all the crappy derivative films and remakes being made these days, there's still some really cool and original ideas coming out of hollywood.

The fact that they showed all the guns was really awesome as well.

i agree.

i thought there was a real opportunities for reflection written into this movie,

not just immigration issues either, all kinds of shit. in scenes like the one where Wikus is

strapped down after he has been infected and the powerful men are trying to decide how they

want to experiment with him, whether they are going to dissect him completely or just cut off

the alien parts. it was wonderful to see this interpretation of how this might go down. he was just

listening to them and screaming. so brutal and so raw, such a real glimpse behind closed doors.

the lead actor was the guy from se7en that they took out of the house of ill repute with the steel strap on cock right?

se7en is one of my favorite movies! i can go in for intense and graphic movies if there is something to learn, if there is a message.

the meat element in District 9 was a bit hard for me to handle being it that i am vegan.

flesh was flying, veracious appetites. it was hard for me to feel the compassion for the aliens with them tarring apart carcasses all the time.

the whole movie was such a blood bath.

i enjoyed it and learned from it.

I don't get the beef with this movie. It was really good, and the line between good guy/bad guy was quite blurred.

clearly you missed the evil corporate types who strode around menacingly in slow motion while middle eastern folks wailed on the soundtrack...

Serious plot spoilers below:

Then there's the irony about how the main character is derogatory towards the prawns at the beginning, but ultimately he becomes one of them at the end. Also, him having an alien hand was a really clever way of having him be able to use alien weaponry and I totally didn't see that coming

fucking lol

Archived