IGNORED

Are hard drives now family heirlooms?

lumpenprol

Do you think parents will bequeath a "family hard drive" to their children in the future, much as they do other heirlooms today?

The thing that made me think about this is the massive amount of texture and object reference I've amassed during my career in 3D. In total it probably amounts to months of photograph taking and culling through the internet. Would hate to see it go to waste...

Not to mention Yegg's gif collection...

Guest analogue wings

Gibson_William_400.jpg

WILLIUAM GIBSIN CALLED

HE WANTS TYO OPTION THIS THREAD FOR HIS NEXY NOVEL

Guest uelogy
the massive amount of texture and object reference I've amassed during my career in 3D. In total it probably amounts to months of photograph taking and culling through the internet. Would hate to see it go to waste...

ahh drive-failure :cry::fear:

Guest JohnTqs

everyone should marry interracial and have kids. eventually everyone will be the same race and there will be no more racism

Guest Betty
everyone should marry interracial and have kids. eventually everyone will be the same race and there will be no more racism

^ Prefers on-line storage systems.

The thing that made me think about this is the massive amount of texture and object reference I've amassed during my career in 3D. In total it probably amounts to months of photograph taking and culling through the internet. Would hate to see it go to waste...

Storied memories...

Nobody really cares about them in the universe but yourself ! ;)

well if you make music, i'd guess it'd be the same as passing along a library of samples you painstakingly collected over the years...it would be useful to another musician, no doubt...

thinking along those lines, I wonder if when Aphex dies his hard drives will be preserved as notebooks or sheet music were preserved in past eras...

I'd been keen on this idea if hard drives didn't fail so often. Someone needs to make archival quality hard drives, or at least some kind of way of storing them that prolongs their life. Maybe solid state will improve upon that.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

^^^ i wouldn't be surprised if something like this existed, even if only at an r&d level at this point due to cost/non-availability of emerging technologies.

I'd been keen on this idea if hard drives didn't fail so often. Someone needs to make archival quality hard drives, or at least some kind of way of storing them that prolongs their life. Maybe solid state will improve upon that.

I don't know of any consumer level archival quality devices, but I know there are consumer archival services. I also know that there are a ton of methods used for preservation in the business and commercial sector of computer storage. A combination of Using RAID arrays and regular tape backups. I think redundancy is still the most accepted method of preservation and protection of digital data.

Guest A/D

we already have them in my family . . 20 and 40 meg hard drives from back in the day, containing such gems as arctic adventure, commander keen 1 and my grade school projects.

It's interesting to think that a whole industry of semi-speculative biography of famous figures may die out if we have access to everything a person ever saved to disk. It's not like someone would write a thick book on the question of Abe Lincoln's purported homosexuality if they could open up his hard drive and find "Naughty Woodsmen Vol. 23."

On the other hand, this may open up a cottage industry in raiding famous people's hard drives.

Guest bitroast
thinking along those lines, I wonder if when Aphex dies his hard drives will be preserved as notebooks or sheet music were preserved in past eras...

Richard_D_James_-_Complete_Hard_Drive.torrent

Guest Yegg
the massive amount of texture and object reference I've amassed during my career in 3D. In total it probably amounts to months of photograph taking and culling through the internet. Would hate to see it go to waste...

I have nightmares about losing all of my precious data.

I have nightmares about losing all of my precious data.

don't worry, it's all there on 4-chan.

^^^ i wouldn't be surprised if something like this existed, even if only at an r&d level at this point due to cost/non-availability of emerging technologies.

the new generation of magneto-optical discs would be up to the job

certainly not SSD's, which is where everyone else is going now

the new generation of magneto-optical discs would be up to the job

certainly not SSD's, which is where everyone else is going now

too little storage capacity in magneto-optical discs.also magneto-optical drives still suffer from the same problem. Errors usually occur on reads.

SSD's are the short-term future (like next 10-15) years.

Archived