IGNORED

zazen

USC professor creates an entire alien language for 'Avatar'

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/11/usc-professor-creates-alien-language-for-avatar.html

Spent 4 years on the language...

blimey. "I just wish that I had someone to talk to"

this quote from one of their other articles got me thinking:

But though "Avatar" might be all that, it also defies conventional Hollywood wisdom that today's blockbuster movies need to be "pre-sold" as bestsellers ("Harry Potter," "The Lord of the Rings"), comic books ("Batman," "X-Men"), toys ("Transformers," the upcoming "Battleship") or based on other movies (every sequel ever made).

Have there been any other big budget FX movies recently that weren't comic adaptions or film adaptions or toy adaptions?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you mean like 2012?

yeah thats a good point. Also Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day by the same chap. They're not great ideas but at least they're not based on some existing brand.

The Matrix is another good example. Sprung onto the scene with no existing brand.

Here's that Human Tech feature mentioned on the last page, now embeddable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv3lRl8HO9M

Also this one about the Colonel Quaritch character

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMAiD4DIEE

There are some little spoilers in there:

Huge mining machines. Jake's avatar being switched off. A Na'vi riding a Thanator.

i was thinking the female Navi , michelle rodriguez is way too generically attractive though to fit the paradgim needed for this a_003JenetteGoldstein.jpg

or this

jamie-lee-curtis-in-true-lies1.jpg

don't even need to mention sarah conner from pt 2, that's too obvious

my theory is that James Cameron the filmmaker finds it just important to light his sets and characters with blue as it is to include a very masculine acting female character

Wait, there's nothing butch or masculine about Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies ... the theory holds for the other films though.

I think Mr Cameron just like to buck the obvious action movie trend by casting females in powerful roles rather than Damsell in Distress roles.

Guest abusivegeorge

this film has been ruined already letting an x factor chick sing the theme song.

i dont care how ground breaking this film is, it just looks stupid.

My advice:

pull the stick from out of your ass

Lol!!

Archived