IGNORED

zazen

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

this film would be a lot of fucking bad ass with a much darker direction for the music, creature design and story but I am pretty well positive at this point I am going to enjoy the shit out of the 3D techno-stenographel-rollacoasta

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He gets paid by the post, FOX are said to have invested 150 million in promoting this thing. That money had to go somewhere.

wonder what he'll promote next.

wonder if his ip tracks back to a server in mumbai

He gets paid by the post, FOX are said to have invested 150 million in promoting this thing. That money had to go somewhere.

295613o.gif

yep, and there's nothing you can do about it. i've got dollar bills coming out of my ass cause of this gig. I mean I figure I've probably gotten 30 maybe 100! people to now want to go see this movie. WATMM has been a huge focus/target for Fox marketing, and its really taken awhile for me to gain enough confidence from inside the community to be able to pull off such a ploy. We actually designed the viral marketing around the plot of the movie, but without the whole, I turn against them and change sides stuff... this is just me jamming my dick up WATMM asshole. It feels so great. I love money. I love it so much. Go see Avatar

295613o.gif

What interview is that from?

yep, and there's nothing you can do about it. i've got dollar bills coming out of my ass cause of this gig. I mean I figure I've probably gotten 30 maybe 100! people to now want to go see this movie. WATMM has been a huge focus/target for Fox marketing, and its really taken awhile for me to gain enough confidence from inside the community to be able to pull off such a ploy. We actually designed the viral marketing around the plot of the movie, but without the whole, I turn against them and change sides stuff... this is just me jamming my dick up WATMM asshole. It feels so great. I love money. I love it so much. Go see Avatar

it's worth more to market to us cause the users here are influential tastemakers in their outside communities. How it werks baby .p

295613o.gif

What interview is that from?

It's actually from some outtakes that Fox let me use

Conan interview... youtube it

"Not since Dorothy’s Kansas farmhouse landed in “The Wizard of Oz” – 70 years ago – and the screen transformed from black-and-white to color – has there been such a magical, revelatory moment, as the emergence of the planet Pandora in James Cameron’s “Avatar” in IMAX 3-D. To call it a revolution in sci-fi imagery is an understatement."

"[T]he closest I will ever come to visiting another planet, and it was an exhilarating trip..."

"Avatar may be James Cameron's masterpiece."

Rottenwatch (93% - 33 Fresh and 3 Rotten)

note: 2 of the 3 rotten are actually by the websites standards, fresh reviews... so either its a glitch, or whats more likely is lesser known critics want to get hits by being one of the few negative reviews or have the appearance of a negative review. Armond White is an infamous critic, who does such things.

Just to balance things ....

The Titanic director's monstrously-hyped creation does look fantastic but, in trying to cover all the bases with militarist sci-fi, vacuous eco-waffle and an intra-species love story, it's too baggy

2 out of 5

Any lingering suspicions that James Cameron has become the Al Gore of Hollywood will be firmly extinguished by his new, monstrously-hyped creation. For a while, it looked like he was giving us a reasonably sweet-natured blockbuster, suggesting that the natural world has, like, the power to heal us all, or something. Then Cameron sends in the helicopter gunships and starts blowing shit up, big time. Way to undermine your own message.

Avatar, for anyone who's had their head in the sand for the last few months, is the first film in over a decade from the man behind Titanic, still the all-time box-office champ. The success of that film presumably allowed Cameron to write his own cheques for this one, and it's a project that's been stewing on the back burner for at least as long, waiting for the special-effects industry to catch up.

And whatever the truth behind the rumoured hundreds of millions spent on it, Cameron certainly gives Hollywood a lot of bang for its buck. Avatar, in all conscience, looks fantastic – a near-seamless melding of fantasy extraterrestrial landscapes and cutting edge computer-generated imagery, all inserted beautifully into the high-testosterone camerawork which Cameron has made his specialty.

But what is this highest-of-high-end image-making aimed at? Cameron has constructed a fable that combines militarist sci-fi, alarmingly vacuous eco-waffle and an intra-species love story that is presumably designed to cover all the bases. The central character is one Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), a paraplegic marine who is assigned to a mining colony on the alien world of Pandora, where he joins a band of nerdy scientists trying to establish friendly relations with the locals; this they hope to achieve by fusing their brains with specially developed beings (the "avatars" of the title) that are a blend of human and alien DNA.

The locals turn out to be spindly blue 10-foot humanoids with distractingly twitchy ears – suggestions that Avatar is somehow channelling Ferngully are not all that wide of the mark. Sully quickly falls for the non-specific mystical rabbitings of the tribe, involving memory-harbouring trees, intimate relationships with flying lizards, and other such prog-rock-influenced stylings. It really is like a Yes album cover come to life.

Sully's position is made considerably more tricky by the genocidal glee of his human military commander, who – in a plot move shamelessly similar to Cameron's earlier film, Aliens – is prepared to cause mass casualties in the service of the sleazy mining-corporation executive.

There are heavy-handed attempts to implant contemporary references (at one point, the marines are told to fight "terror with terror"), but there's no mistaking what Avatar is taking aim at: the founding myth of America, and the incursions of European colonists into indigenous civilisations. The Na'vi, the tribe with whom Sully fetches up, are a sort of grab-bag of generic tribal characteristics – a little bit African, a little bit Amerindian, the equivalent of one of those worldbeat restaurants that serve up teriyaki tortilla and the like.

To his credit, Cameron is a skilful narrative organiser, and fairly soon he has you rooting for the aliens, not those pesky human invaders. (This may not be the most tasteful approach though, to use on an American audience that still doesn't appear to feel especially guilty about what happened to the indigenous people on their own continent.)

Be that as it may, Avatar tries to have it both ways, to be preachy and a thrill-ride at the same time. I can't in all honesty say it pulls it off – it's baggy, longwinded and, for all the light-speed imagery, just not quick on its feet. Cameron used to be the tautest film-maker around, but he just got slack.

that cracked review brings up an interesting point here"

Exactly. 2009 has been a year of oddly personal directorial statements across the board. Fantastic Mr. Fox nicely summarized everything that makes Wes Anderson what he is as a director, as was the Coen Bros A Serious Man, and for better or worse, Michael Bay's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. For all the faults that Avatar displays, and it displays a lot of them, there's something charming about Cameron excitedly showing off every last personal kink, tweak and obsession that pops his geek boner.

the only one i can think of that he omitted from that list is Sam Raimi's Drag me to Hell , which shares some parallels with Avatar. Mainly the idea that its an old script both filmmakers resurrected and turned into actual films.

Dune did not 'look like shit' it has some of the most hard worked on an large scale set design and costumes for that era of science fiction. If you did not like the aesthetics of it, its your loss. But for someone who appreciates Aliens im surprised to hear you say that. I love Dune and i'm not ashamed to say it, but i still have huge doubts about Avatar.

275px-Guild_Navigator.jpg

the visual look of scenes like the above, i miss this amount of effort put into practical effects and sets in today's movies

Very true, Dune had some of the most amazing set designs of ever, I love that scene in particular, it blew my mind and I think it's still incredibly original today.

These days everything is made on computer farms, young cg artists who look at video games as inspiration, you'll never get the same designs as say Dune because guys like HR Giger or Moebius are true genius and the Hollywood of today is very different from the 70 and 80's.

Archived