IGNORED

Convince me to switch from Fruityloops to Cubase

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a good way to start:

firstly, make sure Fruity Loops knows where your VST instruments are (if you haven't got them, download D16 Drumazon, D16 Nithonat, AudioRealism Bassline and some Arturia stuff - Minimoog, CS-80V etc) - go to the options menu and specify the folder where you keep all your VSTs basically. then go to the "insert" menu, choose "more" and you should get some kind of list that pops up showing you lots of instruments and VST effects, at the bottom of the list there is an option to "scan" - choose this and put an X in the box of any VSTs that appear on the list, if they appear in red, they are new VSTs that have recently been added (this enables you to use them basically).

right, now find and download a shit load of drum hit samples (machines.hyperreal.org/samples.html) has lots. stick these samples in a folder somwhere and find it in Fruity Loops on the left hand side sub menu thing.

ok, now you're ready to get some noises going.

you should see in front of you a grid like sequencer with 4 instruments called "Kick", "Snare", "Hi Hat", and "Clap". right click on the rectangular button that says "Kick" etc and select delete/remove or whatever the option is...do this for all 4 instruments so you're just left with one instrument slot with nothing in it. Right click on that and select "replace". This should bring up your list of available VSTs... I recommend choosing a drum machine for your first instrument in this example. So select the Drumazon VST or whatever and it should appear on your screen. on the Drumazon VST graphic interface there are it's sync options...select external sync but leave the pattern on internal...

if you look at the step sequencer grid behind the VST, you will see in the top left hand corner a little display with an 8 in it. this corresponds to the number of steps you want in your pattern. put it up to 16 for a laugh. highlight/select the first step. press the master play button and you should hear one of the preset drum patterns from the VST. you can put the VST in pattern edit mode to change the pattern etc if you like...fuck about with it for a bit and see what cool drum patterns you can make.

get something your happy with - this will do for your first beat.

you'll notice next to the stop and play buttons another little display called "pattern". it should be saying "1". so the beat you have just made is your pattern number 1. you now need to go into the playlist screen. you will see another, different grid with "Pattern 1", "Pattern 2" etc down the left hand side. You can now paint in your drum pattern into the "Pattern 1" slot. Just like, paint loads in for the moment...now look on the left hand side of the Play and Stop buttons and you will see two little lights next to "Pattern" and "Song". This is to tell Fruity Loops to play in whichever mode... select "Song" and press play. If you go to the playlist screen again, you should see Fruity Loops playing your painted in pattern 1 and looping when it gets to the end of the painted parts (or the end of the song if you like).

ok nice, now put it back in pattern play mode and move the selector onto pattern number 2. it should be empty and 8 steps long again, although the instrument you used for pattern 1 will still be showing....again, select the desired amount of steps you want for pattern 2. now go to the "insert" menu and choose a synth! choose anything, fuck it. a new VST interface will appear now, choose a preset bass sound or something....now right click on the button displaying the instrument name, go down to Edit and across to Randomize :). this will bring up the randomize window and will automatically create a pattern with some notes and portamento etc.... mess about with the options and create something that looks exciting. click OK or whatver it says.... so now you have a pattern number 2....

go into the playlist window again and paint your pattern 2 blocks under your pattern 1 blocks. now when you put it in song mode and hit play, both patterns will play together!

repeat the above numerous times with different synths and beats etc in different pattens and arrange the corresponding blocks into a song in the playlist window...

that's pretty much it for starters....next week, automation clips....

Guest Lube Saibot

It's actually THE COMPRESSOR of choice if you wanna clark shit up.

Not really a great sales pitch there chief. :dry:

What do you mean?

I'm still using FL7 I think. Maybe I should start another thread - convince me to upgrade to the current version of FL.

i hear it's good.

Fair enough.

i'm not being silly. i checked on a few forums. not too much naysaying at all. i'm about ready to snuff it though I swear to raymond. with everthing else going on in my life , my fucking right speaker no longer works, meaning I listen with only the left channel or with headphones. this makes my motive for learning a new program -2.76897.

my cracked version of FL8, running on a cracked version of Windows on a Bootcamped Mac has started to glitch out on me and produce random time stretching type effects. It sounds quality.

Wtf with the new free plugin autogun. My link

that is absolutely insane and pointless

i guess it could be okay as a random idea thing...but it seems useless

also LOL at the 'features'

choose a preset bass sound or something....now right click on the button displaying the instrument name, go down to Edit and across to Randomize :). this will bring up the randomize window and will automatically create a pattern with some notes and portamento etc.... mess about with the options and create something that looks exciting. click OK or whatver it says.... so now you have a pattern number 2....

wtf?

The worst part about FL is the lack of a complete song/project "master quantize" function. You can of course enter every pattern and quantize it manually, but I miss the "master quantize" function a lot.

There is a swing function in FL, but it only affect the step-sequencer - not the midirolls :facepalm:

Other than that I quite like FL, there's other issues as well, but I still find it the best software sequencer. My top 3 DAW's are FL, XT2 and Live.

The worst part about FL is the lack of a complete song/project "master quantize" function. You can of course enter every pattern and quantize it manually, but I miss the "master quantize" function a lot.

There is a swing function in FL, but it only affect the step-sequencer - not the midirolls :facepalm:

Other than that I quite like FL, there's other issues as well, but I still find it the best software sequencer. My top 3 DAW's are FL, XT2 and Live.

you can get round the lack of swing in piano rolls, by linking the offset (in the func panel) to the PEAK + LFO on a peak controller... takes a bit of fannying around but can get some interesting swingy effects from subtle to extreme...

Yes, there are many workarounds but I would still prefer a more elegant and direct solution(aka the classic swing/shuffle knob). I guess I've been using FL since around 2.0 so I'm nearing a 10 year anniversary soon.

yeah. thoug i do like the way you can write some hats or whatever, wack the swing on, then convert to pattern roll, so the hats are preserved in a kind of perma swing mode, while the other step sequencer parts are effected by swing level...

a master swing that controlled pattern rolls would over ride this possibility. i suppose it just need a few additional swing controls... hey impakt are you a memebr on the image line forums / do you test beta versions ... cause gol is very open to suggestions

choose a preset bass sound or something....now right click on the button displaying the instrument name, go down to Edit and across to Randomize :). this will bring up the randomize window and will automatically create a pattern with some notes and portamento etc.... mess about with the options and create something that looks exciting. click OK or whatver it says.... so now you have a pattern number 2....

wtf?

what?

Archived