IGNORED

Convince me to switch from Fruityloops to Cubase

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fruity Loops to Reason to Cubase to Ableton to Logic to Cubase again to Cakewalk to Renoise to LMMS back to Fruity Loops to Pro Tools to Digital Performer to Garageband to OctaMED to ACID to Nuendo to Modplug to Reaper to Fruity Loops one more time to Hitting A Bucket With A Stick.

Do you mean just for sequencing?

Fruity Loops is a good beginner program but nothing spectacular. It's all so generic sounding and looking.. gimmicky.. but that's just my opinion.

Do you mean just for sequencing?

Fruity Loops is a good beginner program but nothing spectacular. It's all so generic sounding and looking.. gimmicky.. but that's just my opinion.

what would you recommend?

any of the Cubase SX series, which tends to be a bit unstable at least on Windows but is very precise.. , or Logic (stable with better features yet more confusing)

Guest Otto Krat

People, i think I may go out on a limb here and broaden my horizons. The only thing stopping me from branching out of my reason habit was laziness and unwillingness to learn. how retarded eh? so I reckon I'm going to give this a go. any good resources for FL no0bs? I'm new to the whole vst thing (still after all these years :facepalm: ) but I think I've collected enough of them (for some stupid reason) over the past 2 years, so I'm good with that.

I'd like to give advice but I just don't know where to start.

Basically you can do anything you want, use any vst you like, so the only advice is practice, again and again...

But you have to learn how not to think "rack" anymore. :mu-ziq: (seriously wtf with this mike paradinass smiley :ohmy: ) Lol.

I'd like to give advice but I just don't know where to start.

Basically you can do anything you want, use any vst you like, so the only advice is practice, again and again...

no worries there

But you have to learn how not to think "rack" anymore.

may be trickier.

I'm not going to lie, I am apprehensive as hell, to the point where, despite it being installed and working, I'm afraid to delve in, partially in fear that it's going to take me forever to get to where I'm at with Reason (relatively). FML. :facepalm: I need motivation. I'm at the tipping point. push me INTO the coffee mug. Sink or muthafuckin swim innit.

I'm fucking neurotic. Holy hell by the time I get to be Woody Allen's age my neurosis are going to have a life of their own methinks....

Guest welcome to the machine

not tried it no, but from your explanation it doesn't sound as good as Fruity! also sounds a bit flakey and unreliable... anyway, matter, I have FL Studio 8 now so it's all good.

yeah, its not as 'get up and go' it requires a bit of learning etc but once its up and running its reliable. You can kind of think of it as single step sequencer channel in fruity with the keyboard thing always down, then with the ability to add anything else as an extra lane at the bottom, filter cut etc.

You can make a map with just the notes in the key of the track, so instead of having the whole keyboard you just have the 5 or so notes you will use, then add filter cut, resonance, decay etc and you have a huge amount of control over a loop in just one window. you can just click randomly and know it will all 'work', very fun.

but nowhere near as quick as fruity and you can only work on one synth/sampler per window rather than having it all laid out. I reccommend having a go tho, even as an addition to fruity loops for the odd sound, its REALLY flexible! I've got some good tutorials on how to use it if you want, the manual doesn't explain it that well!

Guest Scott Howard

floops is visually confusing and looks like a toy, having said that, its the sounds that you put into it it that make all the difference...... :sorcerer:

Guest Otto Krat

I need motivation.

Well Dmx Krew uses mainly Fruity Loops.

Hum..wait, this is not true! :cisfor:

No seriously, I think there's no real reason for you to switch from reason (ahah wasn't a topic where they said french didn't discovered humour? :mcgriff:) to FL. A part may be:

- You may want to use the infinity of excellent synths, drummachines, fx available (free or not) as vsts. Or some hardware (actually I don't know may be Reason can do this)

- Fruity is very instinctive and inspiring.

- You are going to progress twice faster because you already are a master about sequencing.

- Hudson Mohawke is using it. (hum... :unsure:)

I need motivation.

No seriously, I think there's no real reason for you to switch from reason (ahah wasn't a topic where they said french didn't discovered humour? :mcgriff:) to FL. A part may be:

- You may want to use the infinity of excellent synths, drummachines, fx available (free or not) as vsts. Or some hardware (actually I don't know may be Reason can do this)

- You are going to progress twice faster because you already are a master about sequencing.

i love you. seriously.

Guest Otto Krat

I need motivation.

i love you. seriously.

I'll have to return the compliment, even if you are a male located in St Louis. :wink:

I need motivation.

i love you. seriously.

I'll have to return the compliment, even if you are a male located in St Louis. :wink:

I have it now but have no idea where to begin. I need to get in the groove of this. Reason was so intuitive for me, as I was mucking about with rebirth in '98 or so. FML.

Guest Otto Krat

I have it now but have no idea where to begin. I need to get in the groove of this. Reason was so intuitive for me, as I was mucking about with rebirth in '98 or so. FML.

Make a pattern with a good beat (samples that you take in the left menu or to add vsts, Channels, Add one, (vst of your choice). Put some synths and a good TB303. :spiteful:

For miwing, mastering and fxs, you'll notice by clicking on each instrument or sample a little window which is the instrument "id". On the top right corner of this window you can send the instrument to nay channel you want in the Mixer - Master where you can easily add, in the right part of it, fx or anything.

277540456_b993cb75e6_o.jpg

Then assemble the patterns in the song pannel.

There:

0.jpg

To make automation, with a reverb volume or a cut off for example, in a pattern you select the record button and just tap play and then do want you want! Same thing with song mode, just place a empty pattern.

Guest Otto Krat

Samples are located in the Pack sub menu, in the left. It could be a good idea to fill with your own samples, you would immediatly feel at home and understand why the step sequencer is so famous.

Also on each instrument/sound, right click then "Piano roll" and you'll be able to make all kind of complex melodies, then quantize it and configure panel, pitch and velocity of each step quickly and with great precision.

keep 'em coming brother. I didn't get the chance to mess around yesterday due to the fact that I had the opportunity to work and earn a few bucks so I don't starve & what not, but I count on doing so today. Thank you very much. Just GLANCING at what you're showing and telling me makes me think that the transition isn't going to be as painful as I thought, despite using only reason and cool edit since 2002. Awesome.

sorry I haven't sent you any ideas yet mate...I've got a wicked "tutorial" I've worked out for you...but can't really write it all out on my iPhone...my Internet should be sorted within a week though so will get it to you as soon as I can bro....

Archived