IGNORED

Convince me to switch from Fruityloops to Cubase

I mean as far as examples go... I can barely think of any kind of straight up sampling/slicing that I don't use slicex/edison for. Chopping up Amen/Funky/Whatever random break? Slicex. Mangling Japanese girls talking to the point of unrecognizability? Slicex. Sampling a riff/vocal line/horn stab/pretty much anything? Slicex. Automatically stretching a break to the tempo of the host? Slicex. I use Slicex more than Reaktor, Omnisphere and Glitch combined and I have never been anything but completely happy with it, and I have never found it limiting even in the most glitched out Vsnares breakcore chopped and fucked track I've ever done. I'm not saying it's necessarily better than whatever your slicing with, but Slicex + Piano Roll is not at all limiting.

what about taking an entire multi tracked performance of drums, bass guitar, lead guitar and cutting up little bits and fills through out the duration of the track? these are things i think that you would need a full fledged mutlitrack audio editor for. but don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this because i think fruity is inferior, it's just a key thing that i personally feel for my own workflow is vital for making songs. I love fruityloops and use it all the time,

I really admire how 'light' the program feels, it's nice to click an icon and have the software open up instantly. I get sick of how much programs like Logic, Cubase and Nuendo feel like bloat-ware.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about taking an entire multi tracked performance of drums, bass guitar, lead guitar and cutting up little bits and fills through out the duration of the track? these are things i think that you would need a full fledged mutlitrack audio editor for. but don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this because i think fruity is inferior, it's just a key thing that i personally feel for my own workflow is vital for making songs. I love fruityloops and use it all the time,

I really admire how 'light' the program feels, it's nice to click an icon and have the software open up instantly. I get sick of how much programs like Logic, Cubase and Nuendo feel like bloat-ware.

It depends on the situation. I think what I would normally do is load each of the three into its own instance of slicex and then double each sample on the top and bottom of the slicex track loader and route the audio to mute the bottom track if the top track is playing. So, for example, a bassline is running through the bottom track unless there's a slice playing in the top track, in which case the bottom is temporarily muted. I'm not totally sure I understand your example, though.

I think to settle this we would really have to be in the same room giving each other concrete examples and then seeing how each would perform a given edit. But I'm not saying that cubase is inferior either, I just wanted to point out that I've never felt limited by FL's audio editing suite, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to take things much further than the furthest I've ever taken them.

. I'm not totally sure I understand your example, though.

my example was meant to illustrate the lack of multitrack recording/editing timeline in Fruityloops. Most traditional DAWS are designed with a timeline (similar to fruitys timeline for midi) for audio editing/moving/crossfading. While a plugin like sliceX is very powerful, it does not replace the functionality of being able to rearrange and edit with a scissors tool multiple tracks of audio at the same time.

a specific thing ive done in Cubase before is take an entire drum recording performance (1 stereo track for the overhead mics, 1 mono track for the kick, 1 mono track for the snare, 1 mono track for the hat) synced to the tempo of the project. Then 'group' all the tracks together so that one chop on one track effects all 4 tracks.

for a part in the loop where i want to create a phony fill or glitch trick i would edit just the end of a bar so that the snare drum repeats several 16th notes and the bass drum hits a reverb, then a flanger then a delay all consecutively. In Cubase you can do all of this with editing, in fruity the only way i can devise a way to do this is through a cumbersome series of automation triggers

And like i said if you haven't hit a ceiling with Fruityloops you're fine. If you had told me you came from Logic or Pro Tools and Found Fruiy's way of editing audio not cumbersome i would have a VERY hard time believing you, but given that you seem to not see any limitations with Slicex im assuming you havent used other traditional daws or found a use for multitrack audio editing.

as far as chopping up audio goes, you can do all that... here is a crap illustration of that with some random scissoring examples...

2u739d0.png

obviously i didnt record these bits, just dragged some files into the playlist view, but theres no reason why i couldnt have recorded them in live from mic inputs

im not saying FL is better than cubase for what you want or all you need or anything, but as far as i can make out, everything that you've said can't be done in FL can

Guest ryanmcallister

i think the "can do/can't do" debates are irrelevant these days. it seems now it's just variations and the question becomes more "how this is done" and which software has which buttons arranged in which way you like and what not.

i like how everybody assumes to make breaks you have to use Renoise. i became a renoise guru then changed my mind and went back to ableton's "slice to midi". neither is better, i just have been using ableton longer and i prefer to do as much as possible in it. just recently i tried FL Studio for the first time in a few years and personally felt it's interface to be clumsy. why? because i was raised on something else, not because fruity loops sucks. let's not forget the amazing music that we all love that was made using solutions that make propellerhead Record seem like the holy grail.

the deciding factor between Logic or Cubase for me was the fact that I like Cubase's colour scheme more. who cares right? might as well have flipped a coin.

as far as chopping up audio goes, you can do all that... here is a crap illustration of that with some random scissoring examples...

2u739d0.png

obviously i didnt record these bits, just dragged some files into the playlist view, but theres no reason why i couldnt have recorded them in live from mic inputs

im not saying FL is better than cubase for what you want or all you need or anything, but as far as i can make out, everything that you've said can't be done in FL can

shit! how did you do that. ill stop talking out of my ass now.

So I'm using both FL and Cubase now. I gotta say that recording audio is a lot easier with Cubase, and I especially appreciate the direct monitoring and zero latency.

Does anyone know if FL can do direct monitoring? I've never figured that out.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but its been interesting reading.

I purchased FLStudio 9 last year (producer edition) as a complete beginner at production, and I love it. Does everything I need it to, and more. Might change to something else in the future if I get the cash to invest in a new machine+software, but for the money ive paid it kicks ass and it really is versatile.

I'm sure FL can be a mindfuck/pain if you're used to the classic DAW's, but it seems like image-line is trying to bridge that gap cause with every new version it starts to look more and more like all the other DAW's.

My favorite DAW's are in no order: FL, Ableton Live, and Energy XT. Hoping my NI Maschine arrives today/tomorrow so I can have a go with that system and see what it's like.

I'm currently moving from Jeskola Buzz to Ableton. I've actually tried to build a Live setup in Buzz, and i must say it works pretty well. 8 track loopstation and all, multi effect chains. It's just those freaking timing issues that make me want to get out and try a different approach.

Buzz is perfect for tracking and actually very much like FL. Its author also did some work on FL. I've been waiting for those timing issues to be solved by the devs, but they don't seem to feel the urgency.

Live's warping abilities are promising, and i'm feeling very comfortable with the interface already, after just a few hours of toying around.

the program is called FruityLoops.. how can any of you take it seriously? it's fucking stupid.

yes, a very brainless assessment, but that's what it comes down to.

the program is called FruityLoops.. how can any of you take it seriously? it's fucking stupid.

I take it seriously because I know I can outproduce anyone by using it.

Well, if I could be bothered at least :p

gol + co are brilliant programmers, end of.

the new stuff they're working on is going to blow everything out of the water when its out. grossmidi? harmless+? visual mizer? thankyouveryfuckingmuch

updates for life, and actual input if you're an alpha tester? yeah its well shit :rolleyes:

edit* & co. its not just gol.

edit* mixer

not a big fan of floops, though i do rewire it into cubase occasionally and use it like a multitrack drum machine.

listen to the phrizzm ep by phrizzm if you want to hear what floops can do if you push it.

lol.. what? LOL

just give me something with a piano roll and VST support and I'll make the IDM of your life. seriously, the old "FL is for kidz" is ooold and doesn't stand true at all.

edit: but I do really dislike using FL, tho. I'm too used to Live.

careful mafted...

why? to say you can 'outproduce anyone' is a pretty loaded statement. i realize FL has come a long way (and that piece does sound good) but i just prefer other software. it's cool that you are in to it though.. i respect that.

impakt was joking I'm sure...but even if not I can testify to the fact he is a very accomplished producer - listen to his album on the ultra-trendy envmod.com (ahem) for proof. I do like FLoops yes, but have been working mainly with hardware for a number of years now, so hardly use it any more really.

Archived