IGNORED

Older, Good PC games that I should play

Bubba69

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free GTA1/2 are worth playing on any computer.

The original Grand Theft Auto is a million times better than the sequel, don't waste your time with the second one.

I'd definitely suggest playing Duke Nukem II - not the original crappy 8bit version but the awesome 90's version, this one: dukenukem2-1.gif

also i'd suggest quake live: http://www.quakelive.com which is just quake 3 arena (that was released in 1999) that you can play through the browser

Guest Iain C

syndicate (avoid syndicate wars though).

I've been playing this using DOSBox just this week!

I haven't played Syndicate Wars for years but I remember quite enjoying it when it came out.

syndicate (avoid syndicate wars though).

I've been playing this using DOSBox just this week!

I haven't played Syndicate Wars for years but I remember quite enjoying it when it came out.

syndicate wars WAS cool when it first came out, but it has not aged well, at all.

Of course, if it's Diablo you like, I recommend the (not quite but nearly) original hack-and-slash RPG, Nethack ( http://www.nethack.org/ ). It's been in continuous development since 1985 (like me), still updated today. Randomly-generated dungeons, loads of character races and classes, and more depth and replayability than any Diablo clone. And its graphics are created entirely using ASCII characters, so the system requirements are negligable. The graphics take a bit of getting used to, but give it a chance - it's very rewarding and incredibly addictive. I've been trying to beat it for longer than I can remember.

Oh, don't worry, I'm fully familiar with nethack. And yes, I agree it is a great game.

Well, so far i've gotten half life to run. Its hard! soldirs constantly throwing grenades at you... fucking assholes, half the time I don't even see them.

I got isos of diablo and fallout, but I can't seem to get them to run in WINE(I'm using fuseiso to mount them in my home folder and then running the .exes with wine), I could just boot over to windows but I'm lazy. So I'm looking for other games in the meantime.

Okay, I just tried and fallout seems to run fine. But kind of glitchy.

gonna try some other stuff out...

thanks guys!

nice to see that halfway through the 2nd page of this thread people start actually mentioning PC games PRE 1997 , excited about that!

here are my favorite PC games of all time

Quarantine

quaran1.gif

It's a driving game that uses the engine from Doom, pretty hilarious driving physics and super violent with really dark detailed levels.

you can pick people up to collect cab fare to buy weapons (GTA definitly stole this) and if you don't like your passenger you could eject them out of the car

in a cloud of blood and intestines. Carmageddon also was heavily influenced by this game

Magic Carpet

magic+carpet+plus.jpg

the first RPG/strategy game to have fully action oriented gameplay, no point and click bullshit movement in this one, its all first person 3d. the graphics were amazing for it's time

highly underrated game

nice to see that halfway through the 2nd page of this thread people start actually mentioning PC games PRE 1997 , excited about that!

here are my favorite PC games of all time

Quarantine

quaran1.gif

It's a driving game that uses the engine from Doom, pretty hilarious driving physics and super violent with really dark detailed levels.

you can pick people up to collect cab fare to buy weapons (GTA definitly stole this) and if you don't like your passenger you could eject them out of the car

in a cloud of blood and intestines. Carmageddon also was heavily influenced by this game

I loved this game! I used to have it for 3D0! So fun and awesome depth, lots to do. I've been trying to find a pc version of it. Must not have looked hard enough.

Guest Ominous

also, another world.

AnotherWorld_640.jpg

link

holy shit! I've been combing through the recesses of my brain now and again for a couple of years trying to remember the name of this game! not that i got too far in it though..

thanks

Guest analogue wings

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Superhero League of Hoboken

XCom / UFO

Homeworld

Rise of Nations

Plants vs Zombies (not old but low requirements and addictive as hell)

Guest FortyTwo

Star Wars Battlefront/ Star Wars Battlefront 2. Decent campaigns, and numerous hours replay value too.

get one of those massive SNES ROM pack torrents and snes9x. also, do the same for MAME ROMs

also arkanoid 2/dune 2/eye of the beholder 2/the incredible machine/the bards tale/ultimas/ultima underworld/ultima underworld II through DOSbox

and get a copy of scummVM - day of the tentacle, sam and max hit the road, monkey islands - some of the best games ever made IMO, await you

if you wanted to you could even have a crack at some old infocom text adventures, i love me a bit of that

Guest ezkerraldean

Total Annihilation!

fucking yes

i still play that game now

in fact, i've got tonnes of genuinely good multiplayer maps that i made for it, if anyone's vaguely interested

The 7th Guest

yeah, just downloaded that the other day for nostalgia's sake... unfortunately, the music doesn't play. The voice overs are, but no music. I can't figure out how to fix it and I refuse to play without the music. any ideas?

Archived