IGNORED

Does anybody else here have Psoriasis?

thehauntingsoul

When I was a kid, I used to have it on my eyelids. It sucked. They were always sore and raw. I got some special ointment and it cleared up.

I remember that it also gave me really bad hangnails on my fingers. I used the ointment on that and it it did the trick.

I wish I could remember the ointment they gave me. Oh well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, lots of psoriasis up in here! i don't have psoriasis, but i do have blotchy skin on my thighs, and to a lesser extent, on the backs of my upper arms—thankfully, not as bad as the photos in here. as for the arms, no clue why, but i think having a hotplate of a laptop on my lap might have something to do with the thighs. might be related to sweating. (i sweat buckets.)

we should have an all-over physical ailment thread. or maybe a balding/receeding hairline subforum? joyrex? balding subforum, please? :\

for me i think it's related to computer work. Something about just staring at a screen immobile, with all of the yeasts and stuff on your skin just hanging out and marinating in your facial oils and growing. Sitting immobile for days on end is just not good for the human animal. Whenever I get on a strict exercise regimen my symptoms clear up naturally. By the way, salt water may help.

Guest my usernames always really suck

Every time I touch a red brick wall, my palm breaks out in watery bubbles.

I have some sort of dry skin condition that gets pretty bad during the winter and my legs get super itchy. Its absolutely orgasmic to scratch at, feels a bit like late coitus before orgasm. Pretty much why i havent bothered to get it looked at, but i probably should as i usually end up breaking the skin and it appears parts of my legs (mostly the shins) have gone completely bald :boc:

no psoriasis but I get rosacea really bad sometimes, which is the reddening around your nose and cheeks and looks like a rash. apparently it also is related to diet, stress, and weather changes. it itches/burns like hell and can be embarrassing when people ask why my face is so red.

dude i get that. Whether you call it psoriasis, or seborrhea dermatitis, or rosacea, i'll bet medication takes care of it for you. There's a shitload of stuff for it. They usually start you off with nizoral topical or shampoo, but there are really innumerable topical treatments, just have to find the right one for you.

yeah I've tried different creams and ointments but haven't found one that can relieve it. I may look into that sulphur ointment yegg mentioned. I never used to get it a few years ago. seems to have gotten worse once I hit my late 20's.

I have rosacea which only came on in my 30s, but it's been cleared up quite a lot by applying azelaic acid. Good shit, for me anyway. I also have a huge rash area that often itches like hell just below my navel which is apparently a nickel allergy. Once it was colonised by staphylococcus aureus. Like a dickhead though I continue to wear belts as I prefer my nads to be below my waistband.

I have some sort of dry skin condition that gets pretty bad during the winter and my legs get super itchy. Its absolutely orgasmic to scratch at, feels a bit like late coitus before orgasm. Pretty much why i havent bothered to get it looked at, but i probably should as i usually end up breaking the skin and it appears parts of my legs (mostly the shins) have gone completely bald :boc:

That sounds like eczema - mine always seems to aggravate during the summer (like now) and I currently have it on:

both index fingers, right at the knuckles and first joints;

back of my left leg, on the back of my ankle

front of my right leg, right before the ankle where you foot and leg join.

I've had it on my eyelids in High School and again a few years ago, and a homeopathic doctor diagnosed it as having a reaction to pork (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis) - I cut out the amount of pork I ate, and it cleared up. I notice now that when I do occasionally eat pork (bacon), it will flare up, and stopping that will cause it to subside.

My dermatologist is not very helpful because all she does is throw prescriptions at it and I would like to try to narrow down the list of causes.

I'm fairly certain stress causes it to worsen, as does extreme heat/humidity

Dropped my prescript off yesterday though which means I will be smearing some creamy delight all over my body come 8 tonight

My dermatologist is not very helpful because all she does is throw prescriptions at it and I would like to try to narrow down the list of causes.

Dropped my prescript off yesterday though which means I will be smearing some creamy delight all over my body come 8 tonight

Try looking for a homeopathic doctor in your area; I'm sure there is one, and he or she might be able to offer a natural alternative to medications that might cause more problems than they solve.

Try looking for a homeopathic doctor in your area; I'm sure there is one, and he or she might be able to offer a natural alternative to medications that might cause more problems than they solve.

did he use a pendulum to diagnose your "allergy" against pork? A friend of mine got his diagnosis by this, the doctor used a pendulum to diagnose him an allergy against lactose...

did he use a pendulum to diagnose your "allergy" against pork? A friend of mine got his diagnosis by this, the doctor used a pendulum to diagnose him an allergy against lactose...

No, the doctor that diagnosed me did a combination of taking my pulse (apparently a lot about the pulse can tell a homeopath what ails you), and looking up the symptoms/causation in a Heel homeopathic physician's guide, which also told him the formulation of items to prepare the remedy with.

Guest my usernames always really suck

Homeopathy is a fucking joke!

I blame the Jesusfags for this shit, even if they themselves decry it as "New Age satanism". Religion as a whole is to blame for the fact that too many people aren't as skeptical as they ought to be.

I think the deal with homeopathy is that it works about half the time just as with regular medicine, and people are quick to dismiss it as useless when the first homeopathic solution they try completely fails.

I think its generally better to try for some sort of herbal solution before pills because generally if they work they are going to be less toxic for your body and they will not cause you to build up a tolerance as fast.

That being said, good ol' fashioned western medicine can work wonders, but its disappointing that todays medical professionals will hardly even mention herbal medicines in favour of prescription pills

I think the deal with homeopathy is that it works about half the time just as with regular medicine, and people are quick to dismiss it as useless when the first homeopathic solution they try completely fails.

I think its generally better to try for some sort of herbal solution before pills because generally if they work they are going to be less toxic for your body and they will not cause you to build up a tolerance as fast.

That being said, good ol' fashioned western medicine can work wonders, but its disappointing that todays medical professionals will hardly even mention herbal medicines in favour of prescription pills

This.

Guest Iain C

I'm sorry, but if you think you're being healed by one undetectable part in a million, I recommend you read up on the placebo effect.

Case in point: I've never really been a huge enthusiast for herbal medicines simply because the logic would imply that refined and researched medicines probably would have a better effect.

However, orgininally when I had psoriasis I tried over 7 different kinds of topical creams and ointments and none of them seemed to do shit all.

My girlfriend at the time bought me a tin of this cream called Badger, which is mostly herbal, containing things like Aloe Vera and a bunch of other herbs I cant be bothered to remember. I was pretty skeptical but to patronize her I gave it a shot and it completely cleared the shit up in about 3 days.

So I think you are being just as incredibly ignorant as homeopaths by completely passing herbal medicine off as the homeopathic enthusiasts are completely passing off new western medicine. The fact is that both will work in certain circumstances and your insignificant amount of personal experience is no where near enough to confidently say that herbal medicines are nothing but placebo.

Also if I remember this is coming from the guy who thinks drum circles are lamewacko.gif

Guest Iain C

Do you even know what you're talking about? I'm talking about homeopathic remedies. You know, the absurdly, insignificantly diluted remedies sold by snake-oil salesmen to hippies. Homeopathic is not a catch-all term for "herbal"; I keep an aloe plant in my kitchen because the sap is very soothing on burns. That does not change the fact that HOMEOPATHY (look it up) is a crock.

So I think you are being just as incredibly ignorant as homeopaths by completely passing herbal medicine off as the homeopathic enthusiasts are completely passing off new western medicine. The fact is that both will work in certain circumstances and your insignificant amount of personal experience is no where near enough to confidently say that herbal medicines are nothing but placebo.

Also, I hope you're not a native English speaker because if you are, this completely nonsensical paragraph is proof that your opinions can be safely discarded.

I remember watching a bbc documentary about homeopathy. I dont remember their exact conclusions, but in the experiments they conducted the scientists seemed to be baffled by the fact that homeopathy appeared to be working, and only when they did some sort of "blind" test did they find that it didnt work. It seemed like a strange almost quantum physics effect that the act of observing or believing the remedy made it effective.

My point is, is that whether you believe in the healing power of jesus, a shaman, or homeopathy, you stand to lose very little by having a bit of faith in something, other than the approval of those who would ostracize you for believing in something without scientific proof.

I think a good deal of faith can be incredibly healthy and is a very essential part of being human, but must be balanced with a good deal of skepticism. I think we all know people who put their faith into anything all too willingly, and i think we all know people who are complete skeptics of everything, both can extremely detrimental

Guest Iain C

It seemed like a strange almost quantum physics effect that the act of observing or believing the remedy made it effective.

I recommend you read up on the placebo effect.

I'm sorry, but if you think you're being healed by one undetectable part in a million, I recommend you read up on the placebo effect.

I suggest you read up on what homeopathy fully entails before making blanket statements like that.

i know what the fucking placebo effect is iain.

The way the experiment was conducted there was no test subject to "believe" the remedy was working for them. They just added homeopathic solution to a dish of cells to gauge some sort of resistance to allergic reaction. You trying to tell me that all the scientists wanted homeopathy to work so much that the dish of cells just magically transformed to align with their hopes?

Archived