IGNORED

some nice headphones for under 150$?

MAXIMUS MISCHIEF

hi i am looking to buy some nice headphones within the range of 150 dollars or less. i wuld like some nice big comfy ones that fit over your whole ears and are nice and soft, none of the leather stuff and none of that flat stuff that kind of sits on your ear.

i would also like the sound quality to be of a high level and for the bass to be good. i basically want to get the best kind of headphones within this price range.

i dont mind what they look like as long as they arent skullcandy. size doesn't matter . thanks. :)

i like most things about these headphones after reading reviews but it seems like the bass isnt very good and the cord is really long. i am looking for something that i can use to make music with and listen to ipod going around town. so these apparently let the sound out a lot and have a long-ass cord so i dont know..

Guest elliotjking

I have the 555s, straight out the box they were ok but after a while they're awesome, the bass is pretty good, not massive like a sub or anything but definitely noticeable. the cord is stupid long though and yeah they do leak a lot. only complaint I have is sometimes (rarely) the treble feels like it needs a bit of a boost, but i'm hoping this might improve over time

from what i hear they were designed to be used with home theatre systems. as open headphones it gives you a larger soundstage and a more enjoyable movie experience. dunno, i personally have only used them for listening to music. i feel for the money they cost, the HD-555 are the best on the market. my only complaint is that they aren't portable and i can't take them everywhere i go :) i dunno about making music with em though.

Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro.jpg

I'd go for the Sennheiser HD280Pro. The bass is incredible, the new versions are light weight, and they're closed so you won't get that much background noise when using them. I love my HD280s... loooove 'em.

cool i hear those were good as well during my research about the 555s.

but i don't like that nasty leathery stuff, but if it turns out that i cant find a pair that is any better than that sound wise with a comfier material and not so fat/plasticy looking i will probably get those.

i use them both for pleasure and studio work... i find them portable... about the same size as any normal set of cans. They also isolate sound very well.

cool. these interest me. i was looking at them earlier and though they looked nice but i was worried about the durability. those thin plastic things look like they would break easy. are they sturdy, would they take a bit of a beating or do you think those things might bust ?

cool. these interest me. i was looking at them earlier and though they looked nice but i was worried about the durability. those thin plastic things look like they would break easy. are they sturdy, would they take a bit of a beating or do you think those things might bust ?

I drop them and run over the cord them with my chair just about everyday and haven't had any problems for the year that I have had them. They feel pretty sturdy to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HokusPoker

i just bought a pair of SR60's for £60. they're lovely.

i had a pair of grado sr-80's and they literally fell apart after a year and a half. plus they were also uncomfortable after long periods...never buying grado anything again heh

also this has some good info: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/20/my-quest-for-good-dj-headphones/

But the Grado sound is great imho. I've got the iGrados which are based upon the SR60 and they sound absolutely fantastic.

Quality is crap though. I've been using them rarely and VERY carefully because I could see that the cables were nothing but an insult, but still they've got loose contacts already after just 3 months or so.

This is not what I paid 60 Euro for (which was a VERY good price).

the guy who suggested the sennheiser 555s, can you tell me what they are like for the sound leakage? and with the cord, is it too long that you cant take it around town?

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Theres major sound leakage involved. For instance, if i play it in my room at night, the sound travels all the way to the adjacent room.

The cord is long as hell. So I keep it bundled up.

Basically if you want something to use on the go i wouldn't recommend these. I have a pair of UE metro-fi's that I move around with. The HD-555 I keep strictly for home usage or when I head out of town on treks/long car journeys etc. Im really very happy with them tbh..I've been using them on a daily basis since April without a single fuck up.

cool. i will try to find them at a good price, but they seem to be going for 189$ which is out of my range.

if i cant find them for cheaper i think im gonna get the sony MDR-7506.

As far as I remember, the components in the MDR-7506 are exactly the same as the ones in the Sennheiser HD280Pro so... go for it!

Archived