IGNORED

Cunningham new short (Spectral Musicians)

Guest mrcopyandpaste

That sites been lacking in updates because Kevin (site manager) has personal things to deal with, so he wont go looking for this kind of info anymore, only posts about it when its 100% out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20090930_chris_cunningham.shtml

Acclaimed director Chris Cunningham has almost finished another short film, which features his own music.

He produced some of The Horrors’ Mercury Prize-nominated album Primary Colours and has worked with Aphex Twin, Portishead and Madonna in the past.

An early version of the film was based around music from Squarepusher but Cunningham has since created his own score to accompany the visuals.

6 Music News paid a visit to the office of Warp Records, home to one of the models used in the film, which is being released on the film arm of the company.

It is pictured above but to see it in full take a look at our picture gallery of the Warp headquarters.

Warp Boss Steve Beckett described the prop: "It’s this incredible Jake and Dinos[Chapman]-style life-size model of a girl, but it’s got her innards and intestines completely ripped open."

"This girl basically gets an alien experience which ends in a lot of blood and violence, as you'd imagine with Chris Cunningham."

Warp founder Steve Beckett

Spectral Musicians is expected to be just as shocking as his famed Rubber Johnny, a six minute experimental short film released in 2005, cut to music by Aphex Twin.

As for the film’s plot, Beckett gave us a small insight: "This girl basically gets an alien experience which ends in a lot of blood and violence, as you’d imagine with Chris Cunningham."

The doll was used in a scene where alien beings come down and decimate a girl in approximately seven seconds.

According to Beckett, Spectral Musicians is near completion.

"It’s pretty much finished, but it just needs a few frames of special effects on it, so it’s when he gets round to it. I think he’s stalling until he gets a feature out before he releases another short," he said.

Hear more from Steve on Warp's Sheffield roots and how he deals with eccentric artists in the free Music Week podcast, available now until Sunday 4 October.

So, turns out Spectral Musicians won't use any AFX/SQPSH tracks anymore... I wonder why?

i'd read somewhere that a large portion of flex[/] was actually Cunningham, because RDJ couldn't be bothered or didn't have time to work on it.

maybe Cunningham is just trying to assert his own prowess as a musician?

either way, i'm looking forward to this. just hope we don't have to wait too long for it

So, turns out Spectral Musicians won't use any AFX/SQPSH tracks anymore... I wonder why?

i'd read somewhere that a large portion of flex[/] was actually Cunningham, because RDJ couldn't be bothered or didn't have time to work on it.

either way, i'm looking forward to this. just hope we don't have to wait too long for it

Well, he's been working on it since 2005...

Well, he's been working on it since 2005...

that's what i'm talking about :-s no neuromancer either

I hope he does a lot of post-production and whatnot because that prop is a bit shit. It looks no more frightening than the acrylic body model in biology classes all over the world.

considering it took him the best part of 4 or 5 years to do post on Rubber Johnny, i think he'll be doing considerable post editing

Guest mrcopyandpaste

apoloigoes for not linking to original article, i was almost positive that this would be jazz already. plus i was linked to the image gallery and nothing else, which didnt have much info on it.

kept it quiet eh!

I hope he does a lot of post-production and whatnot because that prop is a bit shit. It looks no more frightening than the acrylic body model in biology classes all over the world.

considering it took him the best part of 4 or 5 years to do post on Rubber Johnny, i think he'll be doing considerable post editing

Yeah but seeing as the post was working like 6 hours on 2 seconds worth of footage perday, then the post production effects on this will be a piece of piss

So why is Steve Beckett telling us about this when it likely won't be done for awhile? Is this his way of trying to pressure artists into following through? He did the same for the new Aphex.

Archived