IGNORED

last.fm game!

QBLA

basically... randomly choose a watmm member's library, play the first 5 tracks, comment, post link to theirs and so forth.

post link to their last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/posture

5 tracks and comments:

Daybre - Game Over: nice mix of hip hop and idm. if you're into the 2 genres, then you'll like this.

Manitoba - People Eating Fruit: i love how it starts off slow and the track doesn't pick up till later.

Phuture - Acid Tracks: classic acid house track.

M83 - *: I'd probably really like this about 20 years ago. it's something that would probably grow on me if i gave it enough listens.

brian eno - little fishes: pretty... so pretty! listening to this track alone, i can see why there is much love for mr. eno!

Summerize

good mixture of music. i was hoping to hear some hip hop within the tracks, but i would probably have to listen for another 5 tracks or so before one pops up!

link to your last.fm

http://www.last.fm/user/asymmetrical

i'm not really good at this commenting and summerizing, but i'm sure a lot of you are good at it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest placidburp

This is so exciting!!! *claps hands while drooling*

http://www.last.fm/listen/user/pigster

Deerhunter - Agraphobia - Wow! Really nice actually, kinda shoehazey, indie rock or something!? I love the half-arsed approach to singing, yet it sounds great. Been listening to a lot of this sort of music recently, So it's just what I'm after!

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset - Doesn't really need a description, it's a facking classic!

Raymond Scott - The Bass-line Generator - ha, is great! Mad Tuss vibes when it kicks in. Looking at the description, this was mega groundbreaking at the time, and to be honest sounds better than anything I could come up with! Going to look into this chap some more.

Tortoise - Benway - Nice! Electronic bleeps an bloops, then progresses to live instruments, very funky! The Glockenspiel thing sounds like a Windows XP sound! I like it!

Lightning Bolt - Dracula Mountain - Noisey, Grungey metal? I dunno, not really my thing. Urgh, my head ache just got worse. I had heard of these, but I expected it to be shoegaze or something more mellow for some reason...

Loved the first 4 tracks. I'm sure the last track would be OK if I didnt have such a twatting headache! Nice selection of music, gonna go an see what Deerhunter I can find now. :D

faek edit: ochre - whispers just followed on... :wub:

mine - http://www.last.fm/user/mikaywalp

Spore mentioned this? :dry:

Actually what you want to do is provide the link directly to your library, not your profile. Because if you click the player in the top right of someone's profile, which is the first thing someone might look at, it'll play their top tracks by default, or a station that they've created. To be truly random, you have to play from the library page. If we all know to click on the library from the profile page, then it's all good, but otherwise...Just click the header "(username)'s library" below your recent tracks, and provide that link. On that page, there's a button in the top right that says "Play (username)'s library". You could give that link directly, but then it autostarts and someone may not be ready. So providing the link to the library page is best.

I like that you said "randomly choose a watmm member", rather than doing the person before you. That's always an option though. So I'll do yours, unless somebody comes in before me.

Might be helpful if we post both the link and username of the person whose library we're reviewing, since some use different names.

Not sure if this is a direct link.. http://www.last.fm/listen/user/mikaywalp/personal but yeah, I used my common sense, what's left of it, and clicked on "Play Pigster's Library" button...

Yeah, that one'll autoplay though, so that can be annoying. Doesn't give the other person a chance to get a quick overview and start playing when they're ready.

http://www.last.fm/user/Grizz

Boys Noize - Kontact Me: I like the synthesized voice. Not a huge fan of this type of music, its produced well I guess. I like everything but the drums pretty much. I like the 8-bit sounds that come in later in the song. This could definitely benefit from some more engaging drums. Give me some real Electro please.

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait: Not really my type of music, I could probably get into it if I was in the right setting and intoxicated. I enjoy this more towards the end. It's not a bad song, just not my cup of tea, besides I prefer instrumental music mostly.

Garnica - The Lucky Guy: Nice NES sounding bass sound. I like this one the most so far, though I've never really listened to music like this before.

Ween - Voodoo Lady: Heard of ween before, never heard them. Not really into this at all. Noisy stuff towards end of song is interesting and enjoyable.

Tim and Eric - I Sit Down When I Pee: I love this song, best song out of all of them. Great lyrics, love the backing music and the interplay between the two singers. Good skit on the show too.

I hadn't heard any of the first four songs, I didn't hate them but they didn't gel with me really. The last song made up for it though. Good variety of music too.

Mine: http://www.last.fm/user/posture

Spore mentioned this? :dry:

Yeah I think sidewinder mentioned it, I agreed that it was a great idea. :beer:

asymmetrical's library:

Modeselektor - Black Block (from Happy Birthday)

I haven't listened to these guys before, though I gained a little interest from the recent thread. Actually a bit over a year ago I was in a coffee shop and heard a song I liked, luckily they were playing the local indie station which has an online playlist, so I checked when I got home later and it was Modeselektor. I never checked out any albums though. So about the track…it’s enjoyable, though I don’t know if I like it enough to really check these guys out. There are some things that seem a little off to me, but then again I’m analyzing it more than I would otherwise. I guess maybe it’s a bit too club-oriented for me.

Skytree - Oupine (from Knotwork)

I’m not familiar with this music. I think I ran across this name for the first time this week, though. No idea what to expect. Well it’s definitely mellow, relaxing music…not bad but not all that interesting either. Something that would probably take a few listens to appreciate. I’m detecting a bit of a folk-ish sound in there, maybe a violin or something, combined with drum beats. It feels a little long.

The Grouch - Simple Man (from Making Perfect Sense)

I’ve only heard the album Say G&E! from The Grouch & Eligh, which I thought was decent but some of it sounded amateurish. I’m getting that same feeling here, especially concerning the beats. The rapping isn’t doing much for me either, just pretty boring.

Orbital - Halcyon + On + On (from Brown Album)

A fucking classic. I was big into Orbital around 95-98, but I don’t listen to them that much anymore. I’m more likely to put on In Sides or Snivilisation nowadays if I listen to them. In fact I’ve been meaning to rip In Sides to give it another spin on the go. Hearing this track now, if it were my first time, I’d probably not explore the band to be honest. I’m not really a fan of this type of female vocal, which is the biggest deterrent. And it’s a bit too trance-y (and dated) for my current tastes. The production still seems very clean though. And all this doesn’t change the fact that this is classic tune from a classic album.

Peanut Butter Wolf - Tale of Five Cities (from My Vinyl Weighs a Ton)

I’ve never really heard this guy’s stuff, though I’ve been aware of him for about a decade. Lots of scratching in the beginning. I like scratching in moderation, and oh jesus this track is over 7 minutes long. Getting a bit more interesting and breakbeat-ish now. Some vocal samples are welcome, this seems to be turning into something very cut-up…which I like. But yeah, again too much scratching for me. This kind of stuff just sounds too much like showing off. But what it’s showing off, I don’t know. I appreciate turntableism and the ability to splice together samples from various sources, I mean I love stuff like early MBM, but the scratching to me should just be used as an occasional flourish, perhaps between samples, but when it goes on more than a couple seconds I get bored. Lots going on in this track but it doesn’t really feel cohesive in any way. Not bad, just not really my thing.

--------------------------

Wish there was a way to pause this stuff.

My link: http://www.last.fm/user/sidewinder03/library

i apologize sidewinder... i think when i saw the post, i had just seen spore's avatar!

No worries. ;)

To be truly random, you have to play from the library page.

I tried this with my own profile and it seems far from random, only playing very recent additions, in my case nine out of the first ten tracks came out of the Jackie Brown soundtrack which I ripped a few weeks ago.

To be truly random, you have to play from the library page.

I tried this with my own profile and it seems far from random, only playing very recent additions, in my case nine out of the first ten tracks came out of the Jackie Brown soundtrack which I ripped a few weeks ago.

9 out of 10 huh? Well that sucks. It's the most random way to play someone's library that I know of, though.

Well, I just skipped through them, obviously, but I'm not sure that would influence the randomization? It seemed to simply be going by the most recent additions to the library, omitting tracks that aren't available on last.fm or whatever.

...omitting tracks that aren't available on last.fm or whatever.

This is most likely true, which is unfortunate. Actually in playing this 'game' in the past, It'll include tracks that only have 30-second clips available, which is annoying. I didn't include those for the purpose of the 'game'...obviously.

Sidewinder

http://www.last.fm/user/sidewinder03/library

Mastadon - Naked Burn

I've listened to some mastodon before but i don't think i've heard this. the guitar work is pretty fun - overall pretty nice song. not something i would just listen to again.

Birdy Nam Nam - Escape

Never heard of this artist/group? bass kinda funky - spy movie-ish. kinda reminds me of Propellerheads a bit or some spy genre - breaks/big beats ala David Holmes.

Humble Pie - Down Home Again

very classic rock-ish. pretty nice track. not something i normally listen to either.

Amon Tobin - Big Furry Head

I'm very surprised that it took 4 tracks to get to something i loved let alone recognized - this is watmm! we pretty much love the same music. I LOVE Amon Tobin and this track is no exception. Beginning of this track is very Autechre - Second Bad Vilbel-ish. The Growly noises are a bit creepy - especially since i just came home from watching a creepy movie - that and the discordant violins.

David Bowie - Oh! You Pretty Things

Love Bowie! Song is very Beatle-esque - kinda more refined than beatles though. Great listen - Haven't heard this track in a while.

Me: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/paullyboy8440/personal

Homestar Runner: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/paullyboy8440

1. The Cool Kids, 'What It Is': enjoyed this, nice old school hip-hop. I'm no authority on the genre, but this reminded me of what I liked in late 80s/early 90s hi-hop and rap before it started to grate on me. Think I might check these out further

2. Asobi Seksu, 'Goodbye': pleasant enough dreampop (again pretty old-school sounding to an old fart like me), but failed to really grab me. Not bad at all, but not distinctive to my ears either.

3. Morris Nightingale, 'NT Highrise Hotel': I'm a sucker for more experimental hip-hop just lately, so I liked this. Very slick

4. Odd Nosdam, 'Blast': reminded me that I should've checked his stuff out a long time ago.

5. edIT, 'Situps Pullups': nice 'n' glitchy if a little over-long. I seem to remember this coming out on Mu a good few years ago, an album I reckon I could enjoy.

Overall HR obviously taste. Not too long ago I would've got pissed off with this type of music, but I've started lately to give hip-hop more of the respect it deserves. Plenty of music here I'll be looking into a little more.

OK, please, someone go to town on mine: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/Quinss/personal. Plenty of embarrassing shit on there to tear me to pieces with.

Caretstik

Madlib - The Comeup (Come Down): WOOOOOOOO tuuuuuunnnnne!!! One of my favorite Madlib tracks of all all all all all timeeeeee!!!! :emotawesomepm9:

Shitmat - Nasty Rabbits: Never heard Shitmat before, good intro to them. Nice little breakbeat song here, really liking the ambient background. This would be a pretty good song to play out live.

The Kinks - Picture Book: This sounds so much like the Beatles, it's not even funny. I remember hearing this in some commercial way back when. I hear Kinks are good, might give them a listen.

Ulrich Schnauss: Truly epic artist, love everything about this song. It's busy, but just enough to where it's not annoying. Loving the airy vocals as well. Definitely getting more into this guy.

BMX Bandits - E102: Sounds nice, but not really my cup of tea.

Me: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/doomaddicts/personal

karmakramer's library

Kurt Vile - Freeway (from Constant Hitmaker)

I've never heard of this guy. Not sure how exactly to describe it...it's vocal rock basically, but with some electronics involved. It actually reminds me a lot of Helio Sequence’s latest album Keep Your Eyes Ahead, which I like. Good track.

AFX – Pitcard (from Chosen Lords)

Excellent…one of my favorites from the Chosen Lords collection.

Stars of the Lid - Another Ballad for Heavy Lids (from And Their Refinement of the Decline)

Been aware of these guys for the past year or so, but never looked into them because from what I hear, they’re too ambient for my tastes. This track does not change my opinion. Nothing wrong with the music, I just rarely want anything this mellow. I’m sure the album as a whole works better than the individual track.

Neil Young - Birds (from After the Gold Rush)

I've been thinking of checking out a Neil Young album for years, but still haven't. Possibly because none of the songs I’ve heard have really done all that much for me, I just feel I ‘should’ because of how influential he was to many bands I do like, such as Built to Spill. I like his track “Cortez the Killer” which they covered. While I don’t hate this song, it’s not persuading me to explore. It was pretty depressing actually. Not that I don’t listen to my share of depressing music.

port-royal - Roliga Tammien (Longing Machines) (from Afraid to Dance)

I recently downloaded an album from these guys,Dying in Time, but haven’t listened to it yet. So aside from sound clips, this is my first time hearing a complete track. A very chill post-rock sound, with some atmospheric vocals. Again this is the type of stuff that usually works best in the context of an album rather than on a track-by-track basis. So I don’t have too strong of an opinion from this one listen. I like the vocal samples at the end.

Brian Eno - St. Elmo's Fire (from Another Green World)

I'm not well versed in Brian Eno's catalog, but the stuff I'm most familiar with is his early vocal albums, including this one. The first two are a little jarring but this particular album and Before and After Science are the ones I enjoy most. Not the best track, but not a bad one.

Screw it I went for 6 tracks. Overall I’m surprised, as someone was when checking out my library, that there wasn’t that much IDM. And that’s just fine by me…it would be quite boring if all we heard was stuff we already know.

--------------------

mine: http://www.last.fm/user/sidewinder03/library

http://www.last.fm/user/asymmetrical

Digable Planets - Borough Check: I love the rebirth of slick, this is cool too. Really like this kind of Hip-Hop, early to mid 90s was the shit. Love the snare/rim in this track. Something I'd definitely listen to on a regular basis, I need to check out more of their stuff.

edIT - Ashtray: Beneboi showed me this track back in 06, good shit. Only thing I can say is most of the tracks on the album sound the same and its hard to differentiate them from one another.

Asymmetrical Head - qtrplxy: Never heard your music before, this is ace. Reminds me of something but I can't place my finger on it. I really dug this and will be looking into more of your stuff.

James Pants - Murder: Never heard of or heard James Pants before. This track is interesting and reminds me of the movie Altered States for some reason. It's got my head noddin too. lol

Bernhard Loibner - langfing: This is really cool and has many textures. Has shades of cornelius, with some glitchy sounding stuff from the 12k roster thrown in. This is a really cool track and I love this kind, you can latch onto one of the repeating samples and as you are doing so, processed acoustic instruments come in to compliment it. Really cool loopy song, this one.

All in all I heard 4 new tracks, 3 new artists, and all of it was good stuff. Nice mixture of stuff and I plan on listening to your library again when looking for some new music.

http://www.last.fm/user/posture

http://www.last.fm/listen/user/doomaddicts

lil boosie & webbie - hustlin: not really into this style of hip hop. didn't like the track. there are some rappers from the south that i can dig (i.e. field mob, 36 mafia, bruce banner, T-Rexz, etc). but this... nah!

madvillian - curls: hell yeah... not my fav track from them. but it's always cool to hear madvillian!

vektordrum - konjuv dseq: first time i've ever heard from him. cool soundscapes and melodies. i'm gonna seek out this dude some more.

dr. who dat? - memories: yeah! love that laid back chill vibe! came across this dude a few days ago on someone elses library. i like what i'm hearing so far!

daft punk - hard, better, faster, stronger: cool back in the day. nowadays, i can only listen to this album in that dvd animated movie form. i can't listen to it on it's own anymore.

liked 3 out of 5 tracks. nice diverse mixture though. i'm just glad an alternative track didn't pop up! :)

http://www.last.fm/users/asymmetrical

http://www.last.fm/listen/user/doomaddicts

lil boosie & webbie - hustlin: not really into this style of hip hop. didn't like the track. there are some rappers from the south that i can dig (i.e. field mob, 36 mafia, bruce banner, T-Rexz, etc). but this... nah!

madvillian - curls: hell yeah... not my fav track from them. but it's always cool to hear madvillian!

vektordrum - konjuv dseq: first time i've ever heard from him. cool soundscapes and melodies. i'm gonna seek out this dude some more.

dr. who dat? - memories: yeah! love that laid back chill vibe! came across this dude a few days ago on someone elses library. i like what i'm hearing so far!

daft punk - hard, better, faster, stronger: cool back in the day. nowadays, i can only listen to this album in that dvd animated movie form. i can't listen to it on it's own anymore.

liked 3 out of 5 tracks. nice diverse mixture though. i'm just glad an alternative track didn't pop up! :)

http://www.last.fm/users/asymmetrical

Yeah I'm pretty good friends w/Vektordrum, he's got some really good stuff. here is his last.fm page where you can DL his latest 3 albums :D

http://www.last.fm/user/DDRmaster117

http://www.last.fm/music/Vektordrum

Asymmetrical Head: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/asymmetrical/

Eurythmics - Love Is A Stranger

Familiar with them but never really listened to them. Hadn't realized Annie Lennox was in this group. anyways this song - pretty nice. Nice background 303s going on - pretty oldskool sounding dance/electro. I thought they were more synthpop/new wave-ish. Maybe this is a dance remix? I don't know but I do like it and would listen again.

Phuture - Acid Tracks

More oldskool! I've definately heard this before and when i did I was at the point where I hated house music back then when I first heard it. In honesty, I still don't like this track all that much - really repetitive. Kinda dull to me but who knows.

Daft Punk - Revolution 909

Haha more house. Daft Punk was really overrated to me back then during the time I didn't like house music. I actually grew to like some Daft Punk eventually but it took a while. This song is pretty cool - got a great beat and is pretty funky. If on, I would dance.

The Orb - Thursday's Keeper

Orb was always hit or miss for me. I mean, I like their stuff but was never heavily into it. This is really dubby. Nice breaks. Sounds are a bit cut+pastey for me

Model 500 - Off To Battle

This is easily my favorite of the bunch. I'm not familiar with Model 500 but am a little familiar with Juan Atkins. May have to look up more of his tracks. Great beats/synths everything! Honestly, probably one of the better electro songs I've heard.

This is a really really electronic set! Not only that but mostly pre-2K electronics I think. Not that I didn't expect electronic music but - I thought it would be a bit more varied. All in all, this was half + half for me.

Me: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/paullyboy8440/personal

Since someone did mine I felt inclined to join in on the fun

Placid Burp

http://www.last.fm/user/mikaywalp

Araya - The Mast

I have a feeling he'll probably be on the forums but I'm unfamiliar with his work. Standard IDM fare really but it's a nice track to listen to. A couple of years ago I'd probably research further but not enough stood out for me a bit too Ochre/Wispy for me.

Bowerbirds - Northern Lights

Really boring standard Indie Folk. I can't even think of anything else to say about the track its so bland.

John Williams - Schindler's List Theme

Knew this one as most would. Brilliant composition. Whelled a little tear *sob*

First Aid Kit - Pervigilo

More Indie Folk stuff with a female vocalist this time. Good vocals but just not my cup of tea, I don't understand how people that like this stuff distinguish one act from another.

Kettel - Song From Toverpeeks

Kettel is awesome and this was the best tune of the lot although it's one I'm familar with.

In summary there was a bit of diversity I guess, although its unfair to judge someones music taste on 5 songs. Would have been a lot happier with the selections without the Indie folk stuff but you likes what you likes.

Won't bother posting mine since its been done.

Archived