IGNORED

VMware image of chrome OS

kaini

can i ask a question, what the hell is a 'net book' ? is it different from a normal laptop? the things ive seen called netbooks seem just like normal laptops but with a solid state drive, or is it just a meaningless buzz word

netbooks are small form factor machines. Usually 10" screen or under. Personally I think the 10" ones are a rip-off, not that much smaller than a 13" laptop and way less powerful. Really they're suitable for web browsing, mail reading (not that those are mutually exclusive) and maybe light word processing.

I tend to think they're just a waste of time, "oooh I need to be on the net all the time". If you're that busy, get a proper office and a proper computer and do some work. If you just want to check your e-mail/facebook whatever, do it on your phone.

yeah it doesn't seem like they are going to last that long, they seem about as useful as a portable DVD player.

i realize how dumb my question was in retrospect but i guess i was under the impression that a netbook wasn't simply a stripped down laptop with web browsing as it's main feature, i thought it had something extra like a dedicated 3g connection . gay

I dunno some might. My wife always complained about her laptop being to heavy so I got her a netbook (which she barely ever uses as far as I can tell), seems pretty useless to me. Although her HP laptop is a giant piece of shit.

'they' were talking about computers from near-future that will have zero boot time. something like a calculator or similar. i think google is making a step towards this, which is a good thing imo. but i'm still unable to understand the frenzy idea to centralize just about everything we have (currency, countries, politics, military, information,...) can you see where this is going? is having things stored locally just an obsolete idea, or there is a greater plan? honestly, i can't see the benefit of this cloud stuff...

cus you're not seeing far enough, in the future we are all part of the could and information is reundantly stored in bits and pieces all over the cloud and IP will be replaced by a bittorrent type protocol, so there will be total freedom, and then we die.

can i ask a question, what the hell is a 'net book' ? is it different from a normal laptop? the things ive seen called netbooks seem just like normal laptops but with a solid state drive, or is it just a meaningless buzz word

i have what was the first machine to be termed a Netbook (or rather, netBook)

psion_nb_1.jpg

i'm a big Psion nerd, have always loved their handheld machines and i still have a netBook and Series 5mxPRO.

with regards to the modern usage of the term, i'm not gonna say anything on it since it's already been covered. what i will say though is that a 10" netbook is indeed a bit too big really. although my EeePC 1000HE does have great battery life, i still miss the smaller screen of my 900

Archived