IGNORED

The positive experience of listening to Queen

gaarg

Its like this:

I've started listening to Queen in grade school. It was THE band that made me start listening to music, as I was pretty indifferent listening to some home folklore shit you don't wanna know about. I loved them and I still love do. But I kinda cant really listen to Queen these days as my life restructured and I became more demanding and stuff and Queen kinda mostly talk about love which is great, but I'm not exactly studying that in life.

But I still fucking love their spirit! The go all out, Freddie knocks himself out and does it properly, all band members knew music and how to play instruments and Freddie sand like a motherfucker! The power was great, the atmosphere unique and their message down to earth, available to everybody.

freddie%20mercury%208%20-%20live.jpg

So where do I get such awesome performance today? Battles is something that comes in mind but still way too bordered in tis own sound research. Vocals too, I need more vocals in my life. Spirit, positivism, vocals, quality music, Watmm, gimme al you got!

Please.

interesting, i haven't actually listened to queen before because i don't enjoy music that has vocals in it

but i'll definitely check them out, what album would you recommend to start off with?

oh man, it seems like Queen occupies a similar place in your heart as they do mine. I listened to them up and down in grade school annd loved them. In retrospect I think what I loved about them the most is their self-awareness. They weren't like Led Zep/Pink Floyd and others who took their music seriously and believed there was something brilliant in what they were doing; no, Queen was campy and they knew it. But that didn't stop them from having a blast and totally rocking out in a goofy fun way. It also helps that they all can play their instruments and are clearly smart individuals. (Brian May has a astrophysics degree ffs)

Queen!

And I have no idea how anyone could find another band that has similar qualities to Queen today. (The Darkness lol)

chax: just get the greatest hits. There's enough great material there, and the album filler is just boring.

I think the gay community should embrace the legacy of Queen more, I mean most of the gay guys I know are more into dance music, but Freddie is one of the greatest vocalists in rock history and much better than Elton John IMO.

Guest abusivegeorge

interesting, i haven't actually listened to queen before because i don't enjoy music that has vocals in it

but i'll definitely check them out, what album would you recommend to start off with?

What

I love Queen, I remember in high school me and my best friend James listened to Queen and The Beatles every day. I even remember drama class me and James would steal the cassette player and the teacher would walk in to start lesson and we'd be sat listening to "Bicycle".

The other kids thought we were fucking weird but we were the hardest cunts in school so all the other kids grew up really confused and probabaly questioning their sexuality.

i completely understand the life-affirming qualities of queen of which you speak

if i had to suggest another band... a band who do not even understand the nature of cheesy or embarrassing

a band that transcends that... a band that lives to rock; i would suggest mid-period thin lizzy.

runners up are ac/dc and zeppelin. but when i think 'band that would rock whether they like it or not'...

i think thin lizzy.

Guest ezkerraldean

don't bother with them, they are a mere popular music band and don't encompass nearly the same variety of themes, emotions or technical variety as even a run-of-the-mill IDM act like Venetian Snares

Guest abusivegeorge

it's on my wall as well

I'm really attracted to the peruvian looking woman stood naked whos on your wall. I think she has her head hunched, is she stood in a loft or something?

Really attractive girl.

Just as I'm writing this I'm listening to your mixty sinutes mix and "I wanna be your lover" started. So appropriate, I love the way timing works sometimes.

The funny thing is that today the band I trust and love the best is Ulver that has probably the opposite kinda atmosphere in music.

Is it true art to be both a high quality artist AND happy about it?

Queen was also the first band I was consciously into, and they were my favourite band until I discovered Nirvana a few years later. It must be a common trend in kids, because I remember when I moved to a new city and in one of my first days of grade 2, I sat next to this kid who also really liked Queen.

a band who do not even understand the nature of cheesy or embarrassing

This is probably the region that gives me the "sounds like a show-tune" vibe.

edit; That sounded nastier than I wanted it to; Bohemian Rhapsody was on the radio the other day, and I started wondering about the appeal of Queen (since the first thing I think of when I hear it is "this sounds like it came right out of a 70's rock musical"), so I appreciate gaarg starting this thread, it's giving me some real insight.

Guest Conor74

Why thank you!

Actually Queen weren't the worst. And I would like to have seen Freddie Mercury in his pomp on stage. But find their music a bit bombastic and overblown, almost like...well a night at the opera. Huge anthems like We Are the Champions, Radio Gaga, Don't Stop Me Now etc didn't really do it for me, nor am I sure they were...

message down to earth, available to everybody.

Archived