IGNORED

Sci-fi novels/short story's

Blir

^^

plus:

robert heinlein, stanislaw lem, isaac asimov, ray bradbury, robert silverberg, roger zelazny...

those are some of the names (all oldschool/classic sci-fi) that sticked in my memory from the days of youth when i still read books :(

When, long ago, the gods created Earth

In Iove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.

The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;

Yet were they too remote from humankind.

To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,

Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.

A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,

Filled it with vice, and called the thing a nigger.

About that last couplet . . . Lovecraft wasn't much of a poet, was he? "Nih-gyur", or "fig-er"?

Lovecraft was a shit poet for many reasons, but you're an idiot for implying that anything less than a full rhyme makes you a shit poet.

Or, for that matter, that nigger and figure can't be full rhymes

Filled it with vice, and called the thing a nigger.

About that last couplet . . . Lovecraft wasn't much of a poet, was he? "Nih-gyur", or "fig-er"?

Lovecraft was a shit poet for many reasons, but you're an idiot for implying that anything less than a full rhyme makes you a shit poet.

Or, for that matter, that nigger and figure can't be full rhymes

Sir, your words have the pulling power of a dozen mules

With that said, I must implore that you read the rules

another recommendation for Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. love them. currently re-reading Use of Weapons after just re-reading Excession... my favourite one is probably Consider Phlebas though....

i also like Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi, but not in the Culture universe), but i reckon I'm the only one...

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

No one's mentioned William Gibson yet? "Burning Chrome" is a great collection of short stories, and also purportedly the origin of the word "cyberspace."

Filled it with vice, and called the thing A NIGGER.

lololol this poem is hilarious if you read "A NIGGER" with the right inflection of voice.

it's like... all this beautiful poetry, shakespearean vowel omission and all that fancy shit and then at the end

"A NIGGER"

lol.

I finished Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land last week. It was pretty awesome. Basically about a human raised by aliens who come back to earth with a totally different language/culture/religion.

Also read Robert J Sawyer's Flashfoward which was alot better than the show is so far..

Also anything in The Ender universe by Orson Scott Card starting with Ender's Game. Great books but written by a right wing mormon nutjob. The books don't come off like that at all tho.

another recommendation for Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. love them. currently re-reading Use of Weapons after just re-reading Excession... my favourite one is probably Consider Phlebas though....

i also like Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi, but not in the Culture universe), but i reckon I'm the only one...

I spent a couple of months, a few years ago, embarrassingly obsessed with the Culture novels but I couldn't finish Feersum Endjinn. The setting was interesting but from what I remember (not much) the style did my head in. Can't see why Consider Phlebas was your favourite, though... it's just space opera, although admittedly quite a good one. I liked The Player of Games the most.

my favorite culture novel is the player of games.

read something by octavia butler. william gibson is obvious, as are most of the recommendations here. harlan ellison is often overlooked. he is probably the best writer of short science fiction stories.

Archived