IGNORED

Your top movies of the 00s

patternoverlap

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pianist made it into two people's lists? Damn I might have to see that. Another holocaust movie + Adrien Brody + Polanski made me avoid it when it came out. Looked boring as hell, another one of those Holocaust oscar-bait flicks

Guest hydrozone

Amelie

Same for me, Amelie would be n.1.

I'd add (in no particular order):

- The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

- City of God

- Irréversible

- The Downfall

- Spirited Away

- Amores perros

- The Incredibles

- Let the Right One in

- Little Miss Sunshine

- The Departed

- The lives of others

memorable films of the decade, missing loads that i have and haven't seen

2000 - ghost dog, beau travail, o brother where art thou, pollock, one day in sept, chopper

2001 - lotr fotr, mulholland dr, beautiful mind, memento, sexy beast

2002 - lotr ttt, punch drunk love, ivansxtc, adaptation, russian ark, auto focus, sex and lucia, 24 hour party people, etre et avoir

2003 - lotr rotk, lost in translation, bus 174, capturing the friedmans, city of god, touching the void, elephant

2004 - the aviator, primer, hotel rwanda, the edukators, der untergang, dig!

2005 - grizzly man, cache, match point, no direction home, the new world

2006 - inland empire, wind that shakes the barley, last king of scotland, devil and daniel johnstone

2007 - pans labyrinth, apocalypto, united 93, tropa de elite, into the wild, joe strummer- the future is unwritten

2008 - diving bell and the butterfly, there will be blood, the lives of others, this is england, lust caution, bourne ultimatum, wrestler, wall-e, defiance, man on wire, gomorrah, garage, 4 months 3 weeks 2 days, baader meinhof komplex, berlin calling

2009 - das weisse band, a serious man, let the right one in, hurt locker, slumdog, milk

Chopper (2000)

this is a good call, but the assassination of jesse james is light years beyond it. huge leap for that director. but eric banas performance in chopper is among the best ive seen so that alone makes it noteworthy.

Guest analogue wings

Ichi the Killer

Visitor Q

Yatterman

Hulk

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

Mulholland Dr.

In The Loop

Adaptation

Capturing the Friedmans

Primer

No Country For Old Men

Cache

The Life Aquatic

Borat

The New World

Old Boy

Kill Bill vol 1

Red Belt

Zodiac

Out Of The Blue

Rize

Brick

Zatoichi

Godzilla: Final Wars

Bad Santa

Memento

Battle Royale

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Donnie Darko

Ghost World

Lost In Translation

Les triplettes de Belleville

Shaun of the Dead

Sin City

Good Night, and Good Luck

Ip Man

Team America: World Police

Grindhouse

L'instinct de mort

In My Father's Den

The Children

Moon

The Aristocrats

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I forgot the last 2 Matrix movies. I feel like they are severely underrated, especially when taken in context with the first.

I guess LOTR really is a 2000s movie, since they shot a lot of it after 2000. That belongs on the list too.

takeshi's spread. will check out.

(although punch drunk love... :dry: )

What didn't you like about Punch-Drunk Love, Kokoon?

well i don't remember it so well so i might be wrong, but wasn't it one of those "trying real hard to be cool and hip" movie about some quirky unadjusted individuals? i'm usually having a tough time swallowing those :/

takeshi's spread. will check out.

(although punch drunk love... :dry: )

What didn't you like about Punch-Drunk Love, Kokoon?

well i don't remember it so well so i might be wrong, but wasn't it one of those "trying real hard to be cool and hip" movie about some quirky unadjusted individuals? i'm usually having a tough time swallowing those :/

It's definitely got some of the aspects of that genre. But I thought it avoided a lot of the cliches by not trying to be cool or hip. It never does any of that winking-back-at-the-viewer cutesy stuff.

Archived