IGNORED

Fred McGriff

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I just downloaded the score and its really great imo. First time I saw the movie I didn't think much of it... cause it kind of was lost in the visuals... but the score is extremely well paced and memorable now. This truly is one of those movies that gets better and better I think.

ok I can be the best defender of Avatar but there is something you need to learn about music score composers : James Horner is a hack. He doesn't just borrows artisitically like others do, he blattently steals and even rips himself for the past three decades.

The score sucks. It's really sub-part Horner. While yeah he's a hack, he's also capable of great scores (Khan, Krull, Aliens, Apollo 13, Legends of the Fall, etc..), heck i've got more than 30 scores of his. But Avatar is NOT good. It fucking sucks even.

Philip Glass

yah dood the score had approximately less than 2 minutes total that I thought was good and or fitting

Weekly percentages are down by 2% in the US, and that's during Christmas... Advertising on this has dropped completely in the UK and word-of-mouth still doesn't give a fuck*.

I won't voice the argument that this film is flopping yet, as with such a simple plot and dialogue it will transfer well to Asian markets.

* I've had two conversations about it, and both of the people involved admitted they were going to download it. I've told them that I'll be going to see it in 3D, as that's the whole point, but they were largely ignorant.

this wasn't so much a movie as an experience. it was so overwhelming in 3D that it was like waking up from an intense dream after 3 hours. this is that moment of a quantum shift in cinema for 3D visual effects, the motion capture was insane. i would say it was worth the wait, but I am looking forward to Battle Angel Alita much more.

it was so overwhelming in 3D that it was like waking up from an intense dream after 3 hours.

glad you enjoyed it, this just reminded me. I got a really strong lucid dreaming parallel from the plot, the way he would take video journals of his experience in the avatar reminded me of the technique of keeping a dream journal to heighten one's dream recall memory. and it probably doesn't need to be stated again but all of the scenes when you would actually see jake go from being human into his avatar seemed extremely dream like. the transition to a full cgi landscape didn't feel as jarring as a result

I just had the most hilarious Avatar-inspired dream (I haven't seen the film yet). It started out as an amusement park ride where I was in a tram along with other people as it moved slowly down a dark hall past windows with little dioramas from the film. One was the "capture of Neytiri" showing the lead blue chick being held captive inside some funny looking vehicle that is transporting her from one place to another. You could hear Cameron's voice coming out of a speaker "Do you think we should keep this in the film? The vehicle design is shit. But I like the scene." Then the trolley we're riding in leaves the tunnel into the "world of Avatar", it's supposed to be the first breathtaking glimpse of the world Cameron created, but instead it's like an auditorium filled with a scale model of a valley with all these homes on the hillsides a la Hopi cliff-dwellings, except the dwellings are small scale models that are supposed to look "far away" by tricking your eye's sense of perspective, but it doesn't work and the whole thing looks shoddy, like someone's cheap Christmas nativity scene. Just when I'm wondering where the 3D is, a spaceship flies overhead and dips in the river (the rollercoaster has now turned into a log-ride) and as the spaceship is flying off again one gigantic, beautifully rendered 3D droplet of water forms underneath it, detaches, and lands in the stream ahead of us with a slow-mo splash.

Then somehow it's night, I'm not in the log ride anymore but some sort of residential "Navi" area where I'm supposed to spend the night, except I'm bored so I drive off in a car but get stopped by the police, who administer a sort of field sobriety test involving writing my name in Navi on a sort of digitized board. Despite the fact that the lines of my name are already visible on the board and all I have to do is trace them, I keep failing with these big clumsy sausage fingers (maybe I'm drunk?) They are going to arrest me, when suddenly it all shifts into bullet time, I steal a grenade from the cops, blow them up, and then steal a car, which the police start shooting at and I die in a hail of bullets and wake up laughing. Yeah I'm probably nuts.

I dreamt that i was fat a few days prior to watching avatar, is that related?

Most likely, your sub-consciously probably feeling inferior to the physical form of the Na'Vi and your mind is warping your self image

lol, its highly feasible that the guy was annoying him for like 10 minutes before that, not defending jimmy(im sure he probably is a megalomaniac to certain extent) but who knows what happened before that. Its like that bjork attacks video, supposedly the reporter she went nutzo on had been following her and her kid annoyingly for a few days.

lol, its highly feasible that the guy was annoying him for like 10 minutes before that, not defending jimmy(im sure he probably is a megalomaniac to certain extent) but who knows what happened before that. Its like that bjork attacks video, supposedly the reporter she went nutzo on had been following her and her kid annoyingly for a few days.

yeah, and clearly that guy didn't want a signature cause he was a "fan" ... he either wanted to sell the poster online or to piss Cameron off and sell the video to places like TMZ... Cameron knew it... people like this are the scum of the earth

i have no idea from the footage there. there is absolutely no way of knowing. but i guess he didn't like avatar so he isn't a real fan.

your dogmatic defense of this movie and everyone involved in it is actually starting to worry me.

i have no idea from the footage there. there is absolutely no way of knowing. but i guess he didn't like avatar so he isn't a real fan.

your dogmatic defense of this movie and everyone involved in it is actually starting to worry me.

haha

im pretty sure kramerkramer is being paid by the cameron estate as watmm's is the end all opinion on the universe. or hes a cliche uber fan stalker and is flying to LA tommorow to rape and torture the guy who dissed cameron and then do the same to james cameron

im pretty sure kramerkramer is being paid by the cameron estate as watmm's is the end all opinion on the universe. or hes a cliche uber fan stalker and is flying to LA tommorow to rape and torture the guy who dissed cameron and then do the same to james cameron

:lol:

Guest abusivegeorge

lets get back to you kramerkramer how long you been smoking james camerons cock.... I kid, I kid I really don't find your ever present defense of avatar anything but adorable(okay maybe its a little suspicious)((or maybe really suspicious))

Awww Its cool, I would have the same suspicions if someone else was behaving the same way I did for something else... I'm well aware of how my behavior looks to bystanders. And if you knew me in real life, you'd know I often purposefully play along for my own amusement/entertainment. There's a good amount of exaggeration that goes with my posts and your suspicions are just as essential to this sub-reality we have going on. Cheers to all and Merry Christmas. It's been a sober family filled one for me this year. A nice relaxing break. :smile:

Here you go guys, Blanket Fort Collapse would like to apologise for getting the wrong thread.

His answer was pretty well what I expected and thought the watmm's needed to readz.

You see? Harmless mistake.

Maybe the guy in the video was karmakramer

:fear:

Yeah I'm getting a bit worried about karmakramer too.

Dude, its great that for once there was a big build up to something that didn't disappoint (some people) but don't let it take over your life. Its just a film. People that didn't like it will continue to slag it off for ever, if you start acting as Avatars chief defender your going to be very busy for a long time.

Its just a film. Stand up, step away from the computer and feel your legs connect with the real world.

Oh, and when I say legs, I mean

YourRealLegsSmall.jpg

Archived