IGNORED

Tangerine Dream

eh Speedy

they're still less embarassing than many TD latest records..

picking up cliches you're created before is called having a style :-P

haha i agree with the first statement, but not the 2nd. Hard 80s snares through a lot of reverb is not something they created and they are all over Electric Cafe. So is art of noise style vocal sample stuff, in I actually love Electric Cafe i was just pointing out how dated and not innovative it sounds. my point was that even the infallible Kraftwerk became kind of a novelty act by the time the Mix came out. but you're right Kraftwerk never went full new age (it's kind of like when ben stiller talks about full retard in tropic thunder, you just never do it).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah electric cafe was funnily my first Kraftwerk purchase ever, i bouught it at those chain music stores in the US called Wharehouse records (kind of a more watered down Tower with a worse selection)

good point about sex object, although i do like those strings at the beginning of sex object, too bad it's not instrumental.

don't think i hate electric cafe or something, im just pointing out that it was when Kraftwerk started being influenced by their proteges instead of the other way around, those 80s hard linn drum snares through quick reverb scream 1980s production, but yeah overall my point seems rather weak because im just listening to some post 1980s stuff by Tangerine dream that is abysmally bad, i think pretty much everything they did before 1980 is amazing though.

Guest Calx Sherbet

they're still less embarassing than many TD latest records..

picking up cliches you're created before is called having a style :-P

I've read that they did "house" re-recordings of their hits in the 90s, and also that the "group" is now just one original dude and his son. I'm just going to pretend they split up in 1987 :emotawesomepm9:

I think you might just be referring to the dream mixes Jerome Froese did. never heard them, but i doubt they'd be my cup of tea. and it's not just Edgar and his son anymore btw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Calx Sherbet

You all really must hear this

[youtubehd]Mg8axXqG6Bs[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]oAAzlkVIQ2I[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]S9jB_LQOaf0[/youtubehd]

Just listened to Rubycon all the way through, hooooly shit this is good. Wasn't so blow away by Phaedra but this is some next level shit.

• 2 years later...

so, i'm late in the game, so very late, i just got into these guys!

i've been looking for this kind of music for a long time since i first heard these new trend music like vhs head and shit like that who sample lots of old tv commercials and 80's 90's stuff...

thanks to compson i got into this dude james ferraro:

[youtubehd]w82omu5nrkk[/youtubehd]

and last nite i found this: :w00t:
[youtubehd]aFwe2yDU4OQ[/youtubehd]

damn dudes, this kind of music is great, what genres should i look for when searching for this???

i just got tangerine dream's full discography and i bet there's lots of gems like that one in there, but i wanted to know how did they call to this specific sound of this era, sounds like tv shows, news, computer music, 80's 90's mostly, WINDOWS 3.1... progress!!!

Library music, pertaining to TV and news at least. There's loads of technology/future themed library stuff out there. You might dig the music on this comp:

https://bleep.com/release/39461-various-artists-tomorrows-achievements-parry-music-library-1976-86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQr-fafE8e0

Library music, pertaining to TV and news at least. There's loads of technology/future themed library stuff out there. You might dig the music on this comp:

https://bleep.com/release/39461-various-artists-tomorrows-achievements-parry-music-library-1976-86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQr-fafE8e0

just listened to that one and althought is pretty great what i'm mainly looking for is cheesy DX7 sounding stuff, i forgot to mention... with a bit of jazzy/fusion feeling to it... that one sounded like pink floyd's welcome to the machine era. :ok:

i think the difference between what i ear on that one and the ones i'm looking for is that that one is pretty spacey, and yes of course technology and progress equals space but the one i posted sounds like more, i dunno, lol

this kind of synths is amazing... morning show like if you knwo what i mean...

i have to admit i've been getting really into what's considered the 'drop off' point of Tangerine Dream, mostly stuff from the later half of the 80s

like 'Optical Race', holy shit so cheesy but some of the songs are fantastic, one of them in particular sounds exactly like modern chillwave without the hyper compressed modern production and faux tape dithering/wow flutter

this one sounds more like an 80s Giorgio Moroder track

chillwaveish track, i've fallen in love with this one, great chord progression. Sort of Kate bush-ish too, has a proggy vibe

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

they also did this score which has some great tracks on it

Wow this is an early Catherine Bigelow (The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty) movie. Weird.

Wonder if there are any stand outs on any of those 1700 albums they put out after TD wasn't a trio anymore, like after the 90s.

Archived