IGNORED

Tangerine Dream

eh Speedy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

Oasis is the only TD OST i've heard so far. something tells me i should hear more. i've heard Cottage from Legend, so i'm guessing the rest of it is awesome

strange, i tried downloading the OSt to legend last week and it was made by Jerry Goldsmith.. is there an alternate score or something?

Yes. The movie, when it came out in theaters, had the TD score, but when Ridley Scott did his directors cut, he used a "classical sounding" score, as that is how he imagined it (and the Goldsmith score, imo, was shit. made me realize that I liked the movie mostly for the music than anything).

Check out the score for The Keep and Sorcerer as well. Some of their best work.

i just saw this on a youtube comment for a Rubycon clip

" "But in all honesty, what is so great about this TD music? It's dated, it's dreary, it's meandering AND if the best plaudit it can be awarded is that it kick started the whole New Age Muzak era, then, to my mind, that's hardly much of a compliment. Bowie, Eno, Kraftwerk were all much better." "

:facepalm:

i find that the older i get, the more music like Eno and Kraftwerk seem less fulfilling compared to Tangerine Dream stuff.

I absolutely love kraftwerk but for some reason it's easier for me to take Tangerine Dream seriously at this point in my life, in retrospect they took a much more natural freeform approach VS kraftwerk's rigid control freak attitude and $5,000 designer shoes.

TG did start making much cheesier music in the 80s, but so did practically everyone else.

I think this type of mindset is a product of people taking too much at face value electronic music history essays or books (especially written in the 90s) where authors have the tendency to over emphasize Kraftwerks and Eno's role in the 70s electronic/kraut music scene. It's almost like a kind of herd mentality, one author puts those artists at the top of the pyramid and most other people follow suit. I'm glad artists like TG and Cluster seem to get more recognition over time in the electronic music scene.

i dont think Eno is overated, its just that he produced coldplay & U2 recently so... regardless of that, his ambient & 1970s records are really strong (Before & science, music for aiport, music for films, Ambient4, the pearl etc..)

Kraftwerk was mostly a pop band : try to find a better melody than Computer liebe, The robots, Spacelab or Autobahn : quite cacthy if you ask me. in terms of melody, pop music Kratwerk were great songwriters, just listen to the nice senior coconut covers.

Tangerine dream is another matter : i dont think those dudes were really melody driven, it was more about sound & atmosphere. there was a nice doc on european tv (german/french thing) about the 1970s : they said tangerine dream was at the end of the hippy revolution : not a social revolution (hendrix, street fighting man, woodstock) but a private music experience that you enjoy at home, relaxed, kind of a zen thing. & they were great improvisators. a whole life would be needed to check all their archives, old recordings.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/02/tangerine_dream.html

if you like the old Tangerine dream, get this box :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bootleg-Box-Set-Vol-1/dp/B0000A5BUH

I think this type of mindset is a product of people taking too much at face value electronic music history essays or books (especially written in the 90s) where authors have the tendency to over emphasize Kraftwerks and Eno's role in the 70s electronic/kraut music scene. It's almost like a kind of herd mentality, one author puts those artists at the top of the pyramid and most other people follow suit. I'm glad artists like TG and Cluster seem to get more recognition over time in the electronic music scene.

I agree but Kraftwerk & Eno (+ Bowie) did almost create the 1980s back in 1978 ! Unlike TD, maybe Krafwerk image/legacy was not altered by bad 1980s records (Tour de France isnt great but isnt terrible either).

hm i don't know i thought Kraftwerks' last 2 records (electric cafe, the mix) before Tour De France were pretty embarrassing standard 80s affairs, where they seemed to be picking up cliches from the 80s instead of being at the forefront of creating anything.

Eno & bowie took everything they know from Cluster, Can and Faust in my opinion, if they had anything to do with creating the 80s in the 70s it was because of their german brethren. I love Eno's actual work with Cluster and Harold Budd but i feel like Eno is a little bit of a Gennis P-orridge like show-boater who likes to sweep into a new/hot scene (for GPO it was acid house, for eno it was kraut rock ambient) and claim it was his own invention. The similarities are pretty striking actually, GPO to this day will still claim he invented acid house, and Eno will still claim he invented ambient. The former has been a lot more discredited than Eno's claims however, but i feel in time most people will hear of Cluster and realized how influenced by them he was.

i think eno himself reckon the influence of krautrock (can/neu!)& with bowie, they kinda convert the masses to the elegance of synth pop that lead to the 1980s. regarding eno being the 'godfather of ambient', its probably due to his theories/manifestos.

hm i don't know i thought Kraftwerks' last 2 records (electric cafe, the mix) before Tour De France were pretty embarrassing standard 80s affairs, where they seemed to be picking up cliches from the 80s instead of being at the forefront of creating anything.

they're still less embarassing than many TD latest records..

picking up cliches you're created before is called having a style :-P

Guest analogue wings

Innovation is nice, but since it's inherently contextual, it doesnt have to be a factor in enjoying a record. I love Electric Cafe and about half of The Mix. Critics howled when EC came out because it failed to reinvent electronica. C'est la IDM.

Of course most people now acknowledge Electric Cafe for the massive b-boy classic it is. I've been checking out a lot of late 80s - early 90s club tunes and a LOT of them sample Electric Cafe tracks...

they're still less embarassing than many TD latest records..

picking up cliches you're created before is called having a style :-P

I've read that they did "house" re-recordings of their hits in the 90s, and also that the "group" is now just one original dude and his son. I'm just going to pretend they split up in 1987 :emotawesomepm9:

I'd also recommend the soundtrack to the Canyon Dreams movie project. it was a 1987 w/ Froese, Franke and Haslinger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167070/

http://www.discogs.com/Tangerine-Dream-Canyon-Dreams/release/218196

http://www.discogs.com/Tangerine-Dream-Canyon-Dreams/release/206513 (w/ one extra track)

Archived