IGNORED

Tangerine Dream

eh Speedy

i've had Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear for some time now but i always had this sneaking suspicion that i was going to like some of that later mainstream arpeggiated stuff even more, i.e. "Love on a Real Train" from Risky Business and all that. looks like i was right having a listen to White Eagle and Hyperborea this morning - i'm liking the progressive mainstream (don't know if this was where they got new age-y) thing when generally i was told these albums weren't necessary. they real shit thing is, there's so many albums to get (the downside to liking physical releases). Cyclone was just shit though. i might as well have listened to a Pink Floyd album.

taking recommends. give them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Encore live and a couple of the early experimental like Ziet will complete the best of the 70's era but I'm kinda in the same boat with the 80' stuff although I've been told to check out Poland and White Eagle when they got the PPG stuff

the theme music to Thief is pretty cool too as well as Le Park (Street Hawk)

Guest analogue wings

Definitely Exit, Poland and Le Parc from the 80s. Hyperborea is where they started getting a little too new age...

Guest Calx Sherbet

anything. the TDI stuff wasn't THAT great though. but i guess for starters, pink-blue era. Especially ricochet, green desert and stratosfear. if you don't mind a really weird album, then electronic meditation....

Oh and something else worth mentioning is Edgar Froese's solo work. His music really evolved the same way TD did. Aqua and Stuntman are really good. if you don't mind getting a mix of styles between old and new sound, then you could just check out the Beyond the Storm compilation

very bad ARP2600 thump on Aqua (synth geek mode off :crazy: )

huge fan of TD. While I love their "virgin years" or whatever, the pink year stuff is fantastic as well. Atem, Alpha Centauri and Zeit are wicked.

This is probably one of my favorite tracks by them though, from Phaedra..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJfKatAOfk

^ indeed that is an awesome song. I love TD. I got into them sometime mid/late 90's. I had listened to some synth demos of some Waldorf gear and asked the artist what his influences were, and he in some form replied "in all honesty this is me trying to be tangerine dream" then suggested to check them out. I did and have been in love ever since. They have some of the best "sounds" in electronic music of any style. Even if the song itself isn't that amazing the sounds are always fantastic.

oh yeah listened to the first track on Zeit this morning too. that is good stuff. Eno and them getting that on right around the same time. i was in search of some of the more poppy stuff but i heard Zeit and was impressed.

Guest Calx Sherbet

White Eagle is amazing.

Yes! some of their live performances included a song that i'd guess was from the white eagle session, "Thermal Inversion". And mojave plan and white eagle were pretty popular choices for live shows

huge fan of TD. While I love their "virgin years" or whatever, the pink year stuff is fantastic as well. Atem, Alpha Centauri and Zeit are wicked. This is probably one of my favorite tracks by them though, from Phaedra..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJfKatAOfk

the re-release of phaedra had a fifth track that was pretty good too, "Delfi". pretty energetic though. Sequent C is a nice little closer

i know interest is a little lost for them after the blue era, but i'd recommend Melrose any day. and 220 volt live

Guest spraaaa

phaedra is amazing, they got me into electronic music because of the sounds, but so many of their melodies from the late 70s and on just kind of seem like lame pink floyd inspired mellowness...

when I was like 13 I liked all their 90s rave and jungle influenced albums, the dream mixes series and mars polaris, it's really weird listening back to those after listening to actual hardcore stuff, kind of a crazy mood clash. cool sounds though.

I want to check out zeit and their one early album with screamy stuff on it, what's it called, something with wah or wao in the name? I used to not like drone or screamy rock stuff so it'd be something new.

Guest ezkerraldean

haven't listened to them for fucking ages but i do have quite a lot. i loved Exit and Livemiles, used to drive to them

Guest Calx Sherbet

phaedra is amazing, they got me into electronic music because of the sounds, but so many of their melodies from the late 70s and on just kind of seem like lame pink floyd inspired mellowness...

when I was like 13 I liked all their 90s rave and jungle influenced albums, the dream mixes series and mars polaris, it's really weird listening back to those after listening to actual hardcore stuff, kind of a crazy mood clash. cool sounds though.

I want to check out zeit and their one early album with screamy stuff on it, what's it called, something with wah or wao in the name? I used to not like drone or screamy rock stuff so it'd be something new.

Wahn?

My dad when he was alive was a total TD fanatic. He must of had everything by them including every boxset they did, and almost (if not all!) every album. He would spend hours listening to them and reading. I wasn't such a big fan and didn't really pay to much attention to be honest but if I fancy giving them a go I don't need to buy anything LoL. The only thing I have played out of interest was the Tangents boxset, some nice stuff on there if I remember correctly. Hahah I know if there is an afterlife my old man will be playing TD.

Guest Apeofnaples

This is my first post on here ~ so hello! Zeit and Rubicon are probably my favorite TD albums. I find myself listening to early Klaus Schultz more often these days, Cyborg and Picture Music are mental.

most of the good stuff has already been mentioned in the thread but ill mention some that haven't been

the Firestarter OST is fantastic

Encore LP is awesome too, it's a great live show recording of theirs in the united states

Oh and something else worth mentioning is Edgar Froese's solo work. His music really evolved the same way TD did. Aqua and Stuntman are really good. if you don't mind getting a mix of styles between old and new sound, then you could just check out the Beyond the Storm compilation

very bad ARP2600 thump on Aqua (synth geek mode off :crazy: )

what does 'very bad arp2600 thump' mean?

Archived