IGNORED

John Mayer

Guest assegai

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was disgusted by what seemed to be a bit of media furor about his use of the word "nigger." If you read the damn interview it's clear he's not using it in a racist way. He's basically saying he can hang with black people but prefers to date whites. So what. Man I hate what the US has become sometimes. We really have disappeared up our own asses. Not that I like John Mayer or even know anything about him - I've never heard a single one of his songs. But he's clearly thoughtful and his own man. I read that whole interview, he's interesting, if a bit self-absorbed sounding. Fuck. Don't know how I'll ever go back to the US after living in China. First PC person I encounter is going to get Kaen-ed.

Guest hahathhat

who the hell is john mayer

who knows,

some poor sap locked in that media game

let us light a candle and pray for his salvation

I was disgusted by what seemed to be a bit of media furor about his use of the word "nigger." If you read the damn interview it's clear he's not using it in a racist way. He's basically saying he can hang with black people but prefers to date whites. So what. Man I hate what the US has become sometimes. We really have disappeared up our own asses. Not that I like John Mayer or even know anything about him - I've never heard a single one of his songs. But he's clearly thoughtful and his own man. I read that whole interview, he's interesting, if a bit self-absorbed sounding. Fuck. Don't know how I'll ever go back to the US after living in China. First PC person I encounter is going to get Kaen-ed.

lol @ making assumptions about a country based on a few people's reactions to an interview

extra points for being outside of said country

lol @ making assumptions about a country based on a few people's reactions to an interview

extra points for being outside of said country

Lol, don't break my balls. I still consider myself American, have only been in China for 4 years. As a black man™ do you find what he said offensive? More to the point, if someone is sort of naively offensive, or makes a silly statement that he has the "special super-power of being able to hang with rappers" do you take it to heart or just shrug it off?

It's not like I'm tearing up my US passport, there are a lot of things I love about the US. I just read some reactions to Mayer's statements and did a :facepalm: I grew up in Berkeley during the height of the PC movement, when it was ok for the head of the African American studies department at my High School to make blatantly racist and inflammatory statements without fear of reprisal. It was totally surreal. Whenever they had the annual "back to black week" they would bring in these speakers who would stir up the black student body, and groups of black students would go around the school beating white students up. The African American studies department even chose to have a separate graduation ceremony for the black students. Let's just say I'm pretty sensitive when I get a whiff of knee-jerk race card pulling.

To me, Mayer just seemed to be speaking honestly from his life experience.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I only heard of this guy like 3 months ago, I liked a couple of his songs, but then I realised he's a big butt hole

Can you direct me to that rock you've been under for about 6 years? I wouldn't mind giving the world a miss for a while.

Is he really that popular over here? I think I heard his name when he was fucking Jennifer Aniston but I couldn't give a shit about that. I only got his album when I heard something about Questlove being involved

Truthfully, Lumpy, I never heard the story about him using the word "nigger". So from my point of view (from inside the country) it wasn't a media furor. Maybe the story got more play in China. But then again I'm not a fan of him and what he says really doesn't have bearing over anything. I couldn't be on WATMM (hell, the internet for that matter) if every racist or insensitive thing someone said bothered me. I'm more annoyed if it's lazy, if you're going to say something racist at least be clever.

Mostly I find it annoying when people make blanket statements about the US (or groups of people in the US) over something small. With the 24-hour news cycle and blogs and youtube you'll always be able to find someone making something out of nothing. It's getting to the point where, for me, there isn't a difference between the people that cry racism at every little thing and the people that cry "everything's becoming PC". It seems like it only breeds apathy. So that when there really is a case where either is appropriate no one cares anymore.

his album when I heard about Questlove being involved

:facepalm:

Explain to me how I've disappointed you and you may be able to sidestep being a smug prick

You didn't disappoint me ?uestlove did. I guess bolding "his album" and "Questlove being involved" didn't translate. Should have read like this.

his album + Questlove being involved

= :facepalm:

it's a tricky situation. some people are so sensitive about race and religion, it's really not worth provoking them no matter what you believe.

You can't edit your life, just in case you might have someone misinterpret your intent on purpose, just so that they can then feel justifiably and self satisfiably annoyed by something.

Sure, there's no point going down the local church on a missionary journey to debate with everyone you see there about the patheticness of the belief they so pointlessly cling to. But to have shape your existence around the world view of those less tolerant is to cease to exist.

fuk that.

agreed, being 'politically correct' is becoming a really bad form of censorship, it's especially bad among ignorant liberal types.

i've encountered it around these parts (berkeley, oakland), being critical of Israel's foreign policy often gets accusations of 'anti semitism' what i think those people don't realize is that at a certain point genuine accusations of racism will be almost like the boy who cried wolf. you've already used up your cache making overly PC accusations of people you dont like or disagree with.

I have a sticker of Obama on my car with the word 'war' underneath him, i've been yelled at/accused of being a racist twice while driving around in the past 2 years

On stage:

"I went as I've begun to do, into a wormhole of selfishness and greed and arrogance, thinking that if I just continued to be witty and pull together the most fast phrases that I could, that I could be clever enough to buy myself another day without thinking that anybody had finally pinned me down and said, 'you're a creep.'"

He's still a douche, and he almost got away with fooling some of you. Stay vigilant.

I must be a brilliant judge of character. I saw one of his video for some song, I cant remember which one. And besides finding him completely bland and generic, he seemed like a complete gee-bag.

Either that or I just think everyone on TV is a gee-bag. Thats how you get on TV, by being a gee-bag.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Explain to me how I've disappointed you and you may be able to sidestep being a smug prick

You didn't disappoint me ?uestlove did. I guess bolding "his album" and "Questlove being involved" didn't translate. Should have read like this.

his album + Questlove being involved

= :facepalm:

Okay then, I'll join you in facepalm... I have since realised questlove will work with almost anyone these days

I like some of what he's done, I won't deny I was disappointed by Heavier Things, which sounded like a rushed attempt at a bad sequel.

He is a very technically gifted guitar player and a decent singer.

His actual music makes me want to shit all over his smug face.

3/4 this.

who the hell is john mayer

original.jpg

Archived