IGNORED

Vote for Immortal Jellyfish

Root5

I'd like to disassociate myself from the view that immortal jellyfish should be used to create a creepy distopic society.

I just think jellyfish are pretty.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscosity

besides. they're not exactly immortal... "although in nature, most Turritopsis, like other medusae, are likely to succumb to predation in the plankton stage, or disease, without ever reverting to the polyp form." -wiki

Anyone who's taken a science course will worship the LHC because it is so hyped. LHC isn't IDM. LHC is just general nerd.

Physics rant:

Actually, my former physics professor who is a genius in his own right, thinks the LHC is a waste of time and money that could be better spent elsewhere. I've kept in touch with him over the years and he doesn't think it is "stupid" and very much so applauds our capability to build one. However he thinks that actually going out and exploring space and other planets is far more critical than creating artificial devices to study something that we won't even have any use for or comprehension of for many years to come. His opinion is that samples from other planets, poking out into space as far as possible, and setting up to move humans to another planet are by far our most important priorities. The main driving force is that the earth will in fact explode eventually (like a star, but for different reasons, *earth is not a star*), and we will need somewhere to go. Our sun will also burn out and then explode eventually as well (the sun *is* indeed a star), so finding a younger one that we can live near is pretty crucial. Also that pollution and waste from humans is certainly not helping the time frame of us being able to inhabit earth.

His other thesis is that we will likely run into volcanoes being a huge issue before the earth exploding is anywhere close to happening. The warmer our core gets the more active volcanoes seem to be, and they are increasing in activity every year as of right now. But he also doesn't rule out ice ages and that as much as we know, the Earth is still very unpredictable and may have some kind of self cooling method we are light years from discovering. He doesn't liken any of this to "global warning" as he considers that a pop culture term totally irrelevant to science. I'm hit and miss on it myself, but understand that waste, especially nuclear waste, and the increase of the temperature that will happen regardless b/c we are getting closer and closer to the sun. Though he likens we or the sun will blow up before we "fall" into the sun.

Take that for what it is. I'm obviously not a physicist, and while he is, he always states that everything he says could be totally wrong, he just comes up with theories based on what we know so far, which changes every day and can totally erase a previous theory.

Physics rant:

Actually, my former physics professor who is a genius in his own right, thinks the LHC is a waste of time and money that could be better spent elsewhere. I've kept in touch with him over the years and he doesn't think it is "stupid" and very much so applauds our capability to build one. However he thinks that actually going out and exploring space and other planets is far more critical than creating artificial devices to study something that we won't even have any use for or comprehension of for many years to come. His opinion is that samples from other planets, poking out into space as far as possible, and setting up to move humans to another planet are by far our most important priorities. The main driving force is that the earth will in fact explode eventually (like a star, but for different reasons, *earth is not a star*), and we will need somewhere to go. Our sun will also burn out and then explode eventually as well (the sun *is* indeed a star), so finding a younger one that we can live near is pretty crucial. Also that pollution and waste from humans is certainly not helping the time frame of us being able to inhabit earth.

His other thesis is that we will likely run into volcanoes being a huge issue before the earth exploding is anywhere close to happening. The warmer our core gets the more active volcanoes seem to be, and they are increasing in activity every year as of right now. But he also doesn't rule out ice ages and that as much as we know, the Earth is still very unpredictable and may have some kind of self cooling method we are light years from discovering. He doesn't liken any of this to "global warning" as he considers that a pop culture term totally irrelevant to science. I'm hit and miss on it myself, but understand that waste, especially nuclear waste, and the increase of the temperature that will happen regardless b/c we are getting closer and closer to the sun. Though he likens we or the sun will blow up before we "fall" into the sun.

Take that for what it is. I'm obviously not a physicist, and while he is, he always states that everything he says could be totally wrong, he just comes up with theories based on what we know so far, which changes every day and can totally erase a previous theory.

Obviously I'm not a physicist either, but I can spot one very obvious flaw in his argument. Which is that space travel takes time. A lot of it. More than the time needed to gather useful and applicable information from the LHC. The results garnered from space travel will (most likely) be very different from what we gather from experiments with the LHC. As for the sun burning out, we have another 5 billion years or so before that happens. Plus it will not in fact explode, but will become a red giant and expand to some degree, then slowly cool and become a white dwarf.

also, please ignore my cantankerous tone, I'm just putting off writing another paper.

Guest Babar

besides. they're not exactly immortal... "although in nature, most Turritopsis, like other medusae, are likely to succumb to predation in the plankton stage, or disease, without ever reverting to the polyp form." -wiki

you're mixing up invincibility and immortality here. (yeah yeah i know, i'm a quibbler)

Guest viscosity

not subject to death under ideal circumstances. evolution is basically compensating for their vulnerability

but yeah technically you're correct

Physics rant:

Obviously I'm not a physicist either, but I can spot one very obvious flaw in his argument. Which is that space travel takes time. A lot of it. More than the time needed to gather useful and applicable information from the LHC. The results garnered from space travel will (most likely) be very different from what we gather from experiments with the LHC. As for the sun burning out, we have another 5 billion years or so before that happens. Plus it will not in fact explode, but will become a red giant and expand to some degree, then slowly cool and become a white dwarf.

also, please ignore my cantankerous tone, I'm just putting off writing another paper.

Well, I know that space travel takes time for us on earth, but not as much for the people traveling. So setting up a multi generation space travel team sort of fixes that problem, of course until they run out of resources and die if whatever plan for renewable resources doesn't work.

Other than that I have nothing to bring to the table in response b/c I do not have even a tiny fraction of the knowledge required to do so.

A quick google search leads me to believe you are correct and I must have lost something in translation. But I could swear he was of the opinion that the sun would explode eventually. And that was after going through red/dwarf stages. BUt that earth would die out long before that due to over heating and/or other factors the details of which I do not know.

Point is, he is a smart man, well aware of the LHC and doesn't consider it that great. All the same I'm sure he will soak up any data that it produces.

Guest Babar

I'm still thinking about mr poher and his universon theory...

LHC has been built in order to discover the (sub)particle that causes gravity right ? It would be extremely funny that despite the billions of dollars and the thousands of people gathered around this project, this particle turns out be discovered by an old french engineer who buys his equipment at the local hardware store. :whistling:

All this physics talk makes me wish I was in school again. :( I would certainly do a project on the Immortal Jellyfish. I'd find a way. One of these days I won't be working 12 hour days and will be able to continue my education *sigh*.

.... turns out be discovered by an old french engineer who buys his equipment at the local hardware store. :whistling:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this happened. I would love it. Modern technology sometimes creates more blindness than it alleviates.

Well, I know that space travel takes time for us on earth, but not as much for the people traveling.

that only applies if the ship is travelling at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light

something that's far, far beyond us at present

indeed. the idea is that we've figured that out by the time such a voyage is embarked upon.

man..the stuff I wish would happen in my lifetime.

well sorta.

it would kinda suck to be like

HEY EVERYBODY JUST GETTING BACK FROM ANDROMEDA! WOOT! OH WAIT ITS BEEN 200 YEARS HERE ON EARTH AND IM STILL ALIVE! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu

Guest Babar

They have already discovered a way to get faster than light : compress the time space continuum at the front of the ship, expand it at the rear. Basically we only need to fuck with gravity, that's why the LHC is useful.

So you want force sterilization on everyone, while at the same time have large quantities of the population revert to an infantile state.

Fucking hell, Hitler had nothing on you.

Ah, Godwin!

Guest Lube Saibot

so so far immortal jellyfish's platform is:

1. Expensive scientific exploration is a waste of time

2. ITS IMMORTAL YOU GUYS

3.THINK ABOUT IT

While your argument is some vague awareness that "it are for da science guyze". I, for one, am equally fascinated by the underlying infinitely diminutive inner workings of our universe, which is why i voted for gravity when it was still on the table. I would have voted for a Higgs Boson, for the 10th dimension... i would have even voted for superstring theory (disputed as it may be - in fact, i submit "the disputation of superstring theory" for next years brackets) were they on the table. I will not, however, vote for the current means to such ends: a twice-malfunctioning colossus of metal, concrete and money that has already been appropriated by MEMES.

As it was also so aptly put above, the LHC is simply for nerds, not IDM nerds. Everybody and their mother has heard of Obama, Lady Gaga and the LHC. It's FRIGGING POP. :wtf:At best, it could serve as the cover artwork for an US compilation of johnny-come-lately yank dubstep with samples from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

709387399_9bb76bafc5.jpg?v=0

Ooh, science!

so so far immortal jellyfish's platform is:

1. Expensive scientific exploration is a waste of time

2. ITS IMMORTAL YOU GUYS

3.THINK ABOUT IT

While your argument is some vague awareness that "it are for da science guyze". I, for one, am equally fascinated by the underlying infinitely diminutive inner workings of our universe, which is why i voted for gravity when it was still on the table. I would have voted for a Higgs Boson, for the 10th dimension... i would have even voted for superstring theory (disputed as it may be - in fact, i submit "the disputation of superstring theory" for next years brackets) were they on the table. I will not, however, vote for the current means to such ends: a twice-malfunctioning colossus of metal, concrete and money that has already been appropriated by MEMES.

As it was also so aptly put above, the LHC is simply for nerds, not IDM nerds. Everybody and their mother has heard of Obama, Lady Gaga and the LHC. It's FRIGGING POP. :wtf:At best, it could serve as the cover artwork for an US compilation of johnny-come-lately yank dubstep with samples from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Oh i guess i forgot that somethings only for idm nerds if lube saibot and essines like it. Seriously though, most of the people on this board seem to think LHC is more idm, yet somehow we're not REAL IDM fans because you guys are butthurt? Come on now.

I'd argue for the LHC for different reasons than you described, but the real point im getting at is this: noone who voted for jellyfish seems to have any idea why other than it being able to reduce itself to a polyp or the potential to turn us into polyps in the future (so the LHC is void because it "doesnt work", but jellyfish havent done shit for us but lets count it for them anyways). If jellyfish are so idm why can noone convince me other than by trash talking LHC for one dumb reason or another? At least deep sea creatures had some ambiguity to its content, it couldve been any creature lurking in the depths.

Archived