IGNORED

Large Hadron Collider is the Most IDM Thing 2010!!

Fred McGriff

Guest Karnov
we must inform CERN asap
Done.
From: KarnovTo Professor Brian CoxDear Professor Cox, I am writing with regards to the Large Hadron Collider, which I’m sure you will be pleased to hear has been voted the “most IDM thing, 2010” in a recent vote by members of the WATMM forum. In order to win, the LHC had to beat stiff completion from the likes of “Immortal Jellyfish”, “Carl Sagan”, “Stephen Hawking in Zero Gravity” and “Girls and robots in the same photograph”. This should give you an idea of the scale of the competition faced by the LHC. The results of the vote can be found here: http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=356845 I was wondering if you would like to make any comments on behalf of the LHC which I can then relay onto the community of WATMM and the LHC’s supporters therein. Best wishes, Karnov off of WATMM
I'll keep WATMM updated re any reply.
I like how to didn't explain "most IDM" at all. Now he's going to look it up and read about infants of diabetic mothers.

In the email I sent, there were links to an explanation of IDM and a link to WATMM. Assuming he's not already here :shuriken:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny that in the recent hours they've been making some very important experiments on there and we had no clue.

from CERN's twitter: (read bottom up)

Experiments have half million events! More than three hours of stable and colliding beams. WOW!

25 minutes ago via web

Experiments have already recorded thousands of events! We had more than 1 hour of stable and colliding beams

about 2 hours ago via web

Now we have stable colliding beams-first time ever at this energy!

First time in the history!!!!!!!!!!!! World record!!!!!!!!

about 4 hours ago via web

Experiment have seen collisions!!!!!!!!!!!

Now stabilizing the beams

Collapsed!!

Final sequence for collapsing is starting!

Beams will be collapsed soon! Then a new stabilization will be needed before experiments will be able to observe the first collisions.

Congrats LHC, and congrats LHC people! Now let's make a tribute album to it.

PS: I guess all hope is lost for girls and robots now.

Let's just make a Girls and Robots tribute album anyways because an LHC tribute album would be pretty gay.

Actually now that I think of it, the implications of IDM based on Large Hadron Collisions seems exponentially higher than IDM based on Girls and Robots. Not that Girls and Robots aren't more IDM than LHC, they are, but it seems like it would be difficult to write music that adheres to that theme. My mind is very slowly changing about this.

Guest theSun

i am starting to think that i am on the ignore list by the majority of the posters here.

you are kind of like a background static for watmm.

I guess I feel the same way Azatoth, but I always read your posts, even if I don't reply....

Us Invisibles must stick apart...

yeah......

I guess I feel the same way Azatoth, but I always read your posts, even if I don't reply....

Us Invisibles must stick apart...

yeah......

V2_1.PNG

In 2010, the LHC/Jellyfish conflict on watmm reached the escalation stage. The difference between LHC supporters - or "Large Hadrons" - and Jellyfish supporters - also known as "Limp Fish" - was greater than just a disagreement over what was the most IDM thing. Analysts are beginning to frame the divide as a fundamental split for watmm.com and the future of IDM. Large Hadrons and Limp Fish are being seen as identities instead of just categories in a contest. As one long-term watmmer noted:

"Today being a Jellyfish or an LHC is a cultural or even an emotional matter, rather than a vote. As a Jellyfish, you are identifying yourself with the biological - the primordial beginnings of life on Earth, the possibilities of endless life by going backward to a polyp stage after sexual maturity. On the other hand, being a Large Hadron means identifying yourself with physics, the future, the strength and power of science, and the endless possibilities in understanding the foundational physical structures of the universe as a whole."

While these differences in themselves do not seem that drastic, both sides have turned them into vicious stereotypes. Jellyfish paint Hadrons as supporting wasteful spending and failed science experiments. Hadrons paint Jellyfish as hypocritical, flakey psy-trance fans. There was plenty of evidence of these enemy images during the vote and in the post-election threads. As one one Jellyfish supporter we'll call "Franklin" noted:

"So Jellyfish lost the election. Why shouldn't we feel superior? We eat better, travel more, dress better, watch cooler movies, earn better salaries, meet more interesting people, listen to better music and know more about what's going on in the world. If you voted for LHC, we accept that we have to make IDM tracks for the compilation with you. We're adjusting to the possibility that there may be more of you than there are of us. But don't demand our respect. You lost it on March 30."

The Hadrons shot right back, with one supporter responding to the charge that LHC supporters were "stupid":

"This board has moved on from the 2007 mentality of batcock, ulilillia, weed pics, poop threads, and dragon penises. This is the dawn of a new age and its name isn't 'Sea Creature.' In war, the defeated side surrenders to the victor. If the Jellyfish want to heal the divide, let them move toward the LHC direction for a change. The forum isn't growing more divided. It is growing more IDM. And a lot of us think we're pretty intelligent."

"The Most IDM Thing" votes on watmm have always been hostile. It is impossible to tell if this is the most polarized the forum has ever been. However, emotions seemed to be running hotter than usual in 2010. The biggest reason for this is the multitude of bannings of 2008 and 2009. The bannings represented the biggest threat to watmm in years. The randomness and cruelty of the bannings, combined with the fact that no one knows how to stop another one from occurring, has left watmmers shaken. It is this deep-seated fear that, more than anything else, has escalated the 2010 "The Most IDM Thing" vote into an all-out culture war.

from teh other thread

Voting begins:

ra4125272607.jpg

Arguments reach boiling-point:

r2506216175.jpg

Jellyfish compared to floating diapers:

capt.ddf67156c4954c418aee03cf7e058550-ddf67156c4954c418aee03cf7e058550-0.jpg

A hidden Jellyfish watches over proceedings:

r1942366895.jpg

Immortal Jellyfish have a late surge:

capt.b8e274becddd4bfaaf36971ae057a997-b8e274becddd4bfaaf36971ae057a997-0.jpg

Tied with a second to go: