IGNORED

Pansonic - Gravitoni

Guest raan

its really sad as Pan Sonic are among the best act in music but, with all those releases (vainio solo, angel, PN collabs) there are still loads of records to check. like i just treated myself with a copy of the I.B.M. album on mego from 2000, really noisy : its Ilpo, Bruce (Gilbert) & Mika.

So as it turns out, there will be another Pan Sonic studio release.

Pan Sonic with Keiji Haino - In The Studio

Recorded only days after their performance together in Berlin that resulted in the powerful and haunting live album “ Shall I download a black hole and offer it to you?”. “In The Studio” is a more controlled, even tense, affair. Where the participants circle each of like gladiators at the Colosseum. Deluxe artwork by Stephen O’Malley. No more need be said I think than is contained within the fabulous track titles as offered forth by the mysterious Mr H:

Side A.

1. So many things I still have yet to say (6.32)

2. If I could incarnate this feeling would you consider it a creation (1.15)

3. Imperious doppelganger of tears, playing catch with objectivity that evades ultimate responsibility (7.11).

4. I wonder if we have become wiser than Gods by making worse what already is. (2.32)

Side B.

5. This trembling, no longer seems to be the axis at the centre (4.59)

6. As far as the left goes, it is starting to look red.What about the right, I wonder what colour it will be? (4.59)

7. In the hollow created between the eyebrows, what offering would be most appropriate (7.03)

Side C.

8. "Without doubt", an attestation written from that

time, will no longer have effect, because the wound has widened so much (4.20)

9. I have embedded it approximately 2 minutes and 7 seconds into the 4th song, in order to return here whenever I wish (8.56)

Side D.

10. Perhaps there is no need to return (6.51)

11. Preparation is unnecessary from this point on…, leave me. (6.12)

LTD LP only release

Listed under Forthcoming on the Blast First website. No release date as far as i can tell..

Guest serendipity

its really sad as Pan Sonic are among the best act in music but, with all those releases (vainio solo, angel, PN collabs) there are still loads of records to check. like i just treated myself with a copy of the I.B.M. album on mego from 2000, really noisy : its Ilpo, Bruce (Gilbert) & Mika.

I have that on vinyl. Kind of rare actually. and yes, extremely noisy... but quite enjoyable

I have that on vinyl. Kind of rare actually. and yes, extremely noisy... but quite enjoyable

yeah, great vinyl release with nice artwork (endless summer like) by tina frank. one of the reason i was a bit disapointed by the oversteps vinyl is that i received IBM the same day & it looks way fresher & cooler than this serious black tDR dot. the strangest thing with that IBM album is the name/logo, from artists named Panasonic, that was tricky.

where can i hear samples of that??!

nevermind, it sounds not so much bit crushy but like they are using one of those VST plugins that emulates crunchy guitar-amp distortion

Guest Gardenia

i'm still not sure of this massive digital bitcrush distortion they're using on everything since kesto...

Vainio has said a number times that he doesn't use computers...they didn't even multitrack anything up until Cathode Phase. I would bet that it is the Bit Crusher effect on the Korg ESX. I own one and the sound is spot on. The same sound is used extensively on the Vandal EP too.

Vaino has said that? I swear i've seen him in an interview saying for their 'B' ep it was weird for him because it was the first time they had done something in a midi sequencer on a computer (this was around 10 years ago).

that really sounds like an ESX to you? sounds very different than mine. Not that im hearing Pan sonic's music and thinking 'has to be made on a computer!' i've just read vaino talking about how he isn't used to the but he's starting to use them more

Guest Gardenia

Here a recent interview with him: http://technoccult.net/archives/2010/05/04/pan-sonics-mika-vainio-technoccult-interview/

"Pan Sonic is known for recording live instead of using overdubs and sequencers. Has that changed at all?

Well, since the last album before this new one we’ve been using multitrack, so we’re doing overdubs now.

Have you experimented with using software – like software synthesizers or sequencing – or are you still using only hardware?

I’m using only hardware. I don’t really want to do any computer thing. I think it would change my whole approach to the music. It feels quite boring for me, I don’t want to go for that."

interesting, then perhaps they changed their minds because i can assure you i was not dreaming when i read either a press release or interview from around the time 'B' came out where he said he was trying out computer based pan sonic recordings for the first time and it was hard to get used to, but since you've posted an interview i should probably do the same *goes searching*

Guest Gardenia

Here is the closest I could get to the drum sound off the esx using the Decimator effect: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qs1ore

It sounds similar, but you may be right that they using a separate distortion of some sort. There is also some nice stereo separation in the high end from the mastering job on their track that you can't get straight out of here.

Yea their friend Sami Salo used to be in the band and he was really the brains behind their custom gear. He was an official member during Vakio, but then he left. I'm not sure the extent to which they use the Kurenniemi gear, but they played a great live show with him in 2002: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKiFXaqaag&feature=related

that Kurenniemi set with cm hausswolff is great, i found, after googling it, mentions of a mp3 (based on that dvd) hosted on a blog, but the link is dead. has anyone got that mp3 file ? that would be much appreciated.

Archived