IGNORED

i'm on an Orbital binge

vamos scorcho

for a long time i thought this group was pretty cool but not what everyone was saying...that they were amazing and transcendent

i hear it now thank god.

in sides is a revelation for me, life changer.

no hyperbole.

this shit is some of the most beautiful music i've heard since I first grasped My Bloody Valentine's Loveless.

anyway

love when that happens. they're playing tonight at Coachella, but i opted not to pay the $300 to go. sad though, but fuck those promoters.

got to see Orbital twice before they quit and then came back. think this is their first US show since.

and another thing, why is record store day right on Coachella every year? who set this up? i'll get to the bottom of this.

Guest Hanratty

i always liked the bon jovi/belinda carlyle moment in "Halcyon-live". Agree that Brown album is best, then Snivilization, then, I dont really listen to the rest except Belfast and Chime.

fsol is a good binge too

i used to listen to lifeforms every night

for me it goes

in sides

brown

green

i haven't properly listened to the rest yet

i'm going to see them live before i die

and fsol

Guest tht tne

I have My Kingdom and Cascade by FSOL but nothing else.

Those two EPs are really good though.

i have everything by fsol but i only ever really enjoy we have explosive... miracles

Guest ezkerraldean

Orbital got me properly into electronica. before that it was just Jarre and shit. Girl with the Sun in her Head was the first song i heard.

also why is Chime their best known track? it's dull as fuck

god i love the big 90s electronic acts. nothing like orbital, the orb, meat beat manifesto, chemical brothers, future sound of london, aphex, plaid, mouse on mars, squarepusher, etc. it's one of the few things in life that blows me away consistently and gives me pure joy and excitement.

we musicians need to bring back the originality in electronics. it's all but dead it seems to me apart from a very, very small minority of releases. actually it's pretty much non-existent. if you want something that takes advantage of the digital age you have to dig very deeply - for stuff like gangpol und mit and ... my music (..... . . .. . .. i love my music! you guys should too. when it comes to my albums i am quite confident and incredibly happy with them, to the point where sometimes they're all i want to listen to). it seems like if you're going to use computers instead of analog, you really need to take it all the way as far to infinity as possible. you're going to have trouble creating that time and place feeling of analogue music.

there is just something beautiful and mystical in all that 90s electronic, and then when the 00s roll around it becomes very, very digital, probably partially because of the computer music craze, squarepusher goes from using drum machines to using reaktor, aphex uses pro tools.

and they come up with cool stuff but there is this depth and ambience and "time and place" feeling of stuff like orblivion, autoditacker, actual sounds and voices, lifeforms, and so on. there are so many classics.. it really does get me emotional in a way, the happiness and awesomeness of it all.

i mean, i love drukqs and go plastic and ultravisitor and such, but they don't transport me to distant galaxies like in sides or ambient works. they're more like this really cool, really insanely complex and interesting projection of the composers themselves, and they're great, but they don't engage me on the mystical, emotional level that the old stuff does.

thats enough of my rambling. a lot of coffee. (edit: evidently not)

i was thinking, the first time i took mushrooms i listened to mouse on mars on headphones and it was one of the most vital stretches of time i ever experienced. the music was open, and almost inhumanly complex and beautiful. ever since then i only wanted music that was inexplicable. i had the same experience listening to loveless on mushrooms another time.

i hate drugs now, and refuse to touch them, but i won't deny that they opened my mind up to the possibilities of the mystical and spiritual, while leading up to their usage i was either oblivious or a pseudo-nihilist.

in sides gives me that same feeling that i got when i listened to mouse on mars and loveless those times. i say this all in detail because i feel like of all the places in the world, this forum is the place where i know i would be understood 100% when it comes to my feelings on this genre of music.

:cisfor:

Guest margaret thatcher

Orbital got me properly into electronica. before that it was just Jarre and shit. Girl with the Sun in her Head was the first song i heard.

also why is Chime their best known track? it's dull as fuck

it's catchy. but yeah, the girl with the sun in her head is one of the greatest pieces of 90s electronic music.

god i love the big 90s electronic acts. nothing like orbital, the orb, meat beat manifesto, chemical brothers, future sound of london, aphex, plaid, mouse on mars, squarepusher, etc. it's one of the few things in life that blows me away consistently and gives me pure joy and excitement.

you would have loved the organic festival in san bernadino forest in 1996. loop guru, meat beat manifesto, underworld, the chemical brothers, orbital, the orb. in that order, in one night.

Guest Hanratty

R-62835-1188967829.jpeg

This was the first Orbital album for me, before I knew anything about them. When I finally heard the Brown album I was disappointed because Diversions is just so good!

amazing:

Lush 3 (Euro Tunnel Disaster '94) / Walk About (John Peel Sessions)

Lush 3-3 (Underworld remix)

My third ever gig was Orbital live at the Royal Albert Hall when they released In Sides. The mind was well and truly blown.

My mate and his girlfriend had a big bust up and spent the gig arguing in the corridor! Fools.

i made this track last night trying to mimic everything i've become born again with listening to in sides. it came off in my style but i have to just straight up dedicate it to orbital because it's a ripoff and the original file name was "orbital ripoff". original artists they were.

http://soundcloud.com/sunnydayhighway/outsides

WO OHO GUYS

I am with you on this!!! My Orbital love will never fade!!!!!! Snivilisation on headphones is a great experience. In Sides is great as well... Adnan's is one of my favorites of theirs. Such a beautiful theme, I could listen to it on loop forever.

I used to go to sleep to FSOL's Lifeforms every night too. I miss going to sleep to music.

god i love the big 90s electronic acts etc

This.

The Box EP was the first CD I ever bought, very few things have topped it in the last fourteen years. Wonderful stuff. Them and Underworld and FSOL in 1996 were very, very important to me.

Archived