IGNORED

New hard rock/metal recomendations

beerwolf

Electronic music seems to be taking over me the last few years, in the process I am really out of the loop when it comes to all things heavy with guitars. I never thought that would happen so I need some of you to help me out and get me back into it before I get totaly left behind.

For some reason most of the metal I give a listen to doesn't press the right buttons (a lot of the time due to the vocals) but it must be out there? So any recommendations? Then please throw them my way.

Soundgarden, Slayer, Metallica, Sepultura, Faith no more, Pantera, Alice in Chains and SOAD were all my thing. So who's doing the business nowadays?

Thanks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Machine Head - The Blackening is the best metal album so far this millennium fyi

Guest Lube Saibot

Dillinger Escape Plan, Sikth, Genghis Tron, Protest the Hero, Meshuggah, Mastodon, Isis, Converge, Into the Moat, Fall of Troy, Despised Icon, Pig Destroyer

Some less cerebral, "pop", moshy stuff: Impending Doom, Suicide Silence, Bring Me the Horizon, Arsonists Get All the Girls, Enter Shikari, Animosity, Acacia Strain

Old(er) stuff that was ahead of its time that you haven't mentioned: Candlemass, St. Vitus, Melvins, Neurosis, Cult of Luna

Based on your previous listening experience i feel i should also recommend Lamb of God. Enjoy.

I'm forgetting a lot of things but I'll post'em as they come to me.

Guest Lube Saibot

Machine Head? Seriously? If we're going stadium crap you'd be better served by Slipknot and stuff like that.

Since prog has seeped into this thread, also check out Yes and Gentle Giant. Also recent Cynic stuff and Devin Townsend Band.

And with Devin we segue into Strapping Young Lad and (older) Fear Factory and all that goodness.

Also, barely relevant to this thread: Biffy Clyro.

Guest Lube Saibot

lol

Not really into them but i like most of their "singles".

LET'S ALL MAKE LOVE WITH THIS TRACK TOGHETER!!! GANG BANG!!!

[YOUTUBEHD]nYEmQN0IJyc&[/YOUTUBEHD]

just wait till she gets drunk!

lol

Not really into them but i like most of their "singles".

exactly what happens to me, only the singles, i like the way he cries/sings

Guest Lube Saibot

Forgot to mention Norma Jean, Poison the Well and Every Time I Die (all post-hardcore fare). Since you're into thrash you should also check out Municipal Waste. I don't like 'em but you might.

Also, avoid like the plague: The Devil Wears Prada, Attack Attack!, other offal along these lines.

Got most of the Mastodon and Isis stuff. I know a lot of people rate Srapping Young Lad so I should get round to having a listen.

Machine Head never did it for me, even when Burn My Eyes came out I was take it or leave it with them. But thanks for the input mate.

It doesn't have to be all face shredding stuff either. Some Biffy Clyro I actually quite like too...One band that I really like is Down, anybody know any other bands with the same kind of sound?

I will be sure to check out the bands mentioned. I used to have a good circle of friends who were all into metal and heavy rock but over time everybody has got married and had kids so that circle has been broken. I guess thats how my enthusiasim has perhaps got a bit lazy.

Cheers for the replies!

Guest Greg Reason

Got most of the Mastodon and Isis stuff. I know a lot of people rate Srapping Young Lad so I should get round to having a listen.

Strapping Young Lad have made some of the greatest metal records ever (thanks mainly to Devin Townsend being a genius) but you have to be careful not to choose the wrong album. City is a fucking work of art, one of the greatest things I've ever heard in my life, and Alien is absolutely incredible. The New Black and Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing are good but have weak moments but you must AVOID THE SELF TITLED RECORD LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's a piece of shit and is in no way indicative of how brilliant they were.

Devin Townsend's solo stuff tends to be far more progressive and generally far better than SYL. Infinity, Terria and Ocean Machine are the Holy Trinity, they're pretty much unbeatable. Ki is very, very good and Accelerated Evolution has some utterly brilliant shit on it and also some not-so-good stuff on it. He's also released a few really good ambient records via mail order, The Hummer being particularly excellent.

I daresay the greatest metal band of our era (and arguably of all time) is Meshuggah. Catch 33, Nothing, Obzen and I are fucking works of art that are pretty much untouchable by any of their peers. Chaosphere and Destroy, Erase Improve are also very, very good. Yes, they are a very tricky band but the point is not how difficult it is to play. The point is what it makes you feel and how psychedelic it all is. They're big into David Lynch and they've gotten very good at conveying the inexplicable terror that he gets in things like INLAND EMPIRE and Twin Peaks (see 'Obsidian' off Nothing for the best example).

If you appreciate that terror thing then you'll like Neurosis. They're a scary fuckin band and they've done some really intense psychedelic stuff as well. Everything from (and including) Enemy of the Sun onwards is worth listening to - Through Silver in Blood, Times of Grace, Sovereign, A Sun That Never Sets, Neurosis/Jarboe, The Eye of Every Storm, and Given to the Rising. They pretty much single handedly started the whole Post Metal movement that everyone has gotten onto in the last four or five years.

Cult of Luna do Post Metal very well. Their earlier stuff wasn't the most original shit known to man but they've since grown their own sound and are devastatingly good live. Somewhere Along the Highway is their best but Eternal Kingdom and Salvation are excellent as well. I haven't heard the book/CD thing they've just issued so I really need to get onto that myself!

Machine Head? Seriously? If we're going stadium crap you'd be better served by Slipknot and stuff like that.

what did you listen to a few tracks of supercharger and thats it?

The Blackening is seriously one the most ambitious metal albums ever, its fucking amazing, wicked solo's 11 minutes songs that keep your attention the whole time, its fucking pissed, they even say faggot and nigger on a track (lolz the context is actually in defense of the groups being given slanderous derogatory hatred) sooo fucking heavy, sooo fucking powerful

Im a probably close to the biggest fan of meshuggah here, I would have suggested them but if you dont already listen to meshuggah I dont know if you are supposed to enjoy their godlyness

Greg's post is win. Beyond that:

Boris

Nadja

Cynic

Animals As Leaders

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects (Sol Niger Within is one of the best metal albums of all time)

oh and Fear Before the March of Flames in copious amounts

The Always Open Mouth is one of the greatest most unique sounding heavy records I've ever heard, the way they double team vocals is fucking awesome. Not to mention the guitars on that record are on fire amongst other things. sexy album

Greg's post is win. Beyond that:

Animals As Leaders

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects (Sol Niger Within is one of the best metal albums of all time)

yes, animal as leaders is good, ive talked to their guitarist (main dewd) quite a few times, hes pretty godly, loves the shit outta meshuggah. I would suggest you listen to Reflux before AAL (his previous band)

Fredrik is obviously an alien sent out to shred peep holes faces off

Archived