beerwolf

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lube Saibot

Horse the Band

i can't believe i forgot about them :cerious:

HORSE THE FUCKING BAND

The Always Open Mouth is one of the greatest most unique sounding heavy records I've ever heard, the way they double team vocals is fucking awesome.

I assume you're also partial to some Embrace the End? :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Greg Reason

Opeth. their first 8 albums are absolutely incredible. stay away from Watershed if you still want to be able to respect them.

bwp is a great place to start

Opeth are fantastic, yeah. I do really like Watershed though, I found it a lot more inspiring than Ghost Reveries, which seemed like a retread of prior work with a bit of shameless Tool pastiche thrown in. Nonetheless I would say that Still Life and Blackwater Park are their two finest moments.

As far as heavy rock goes, I thoroughly recommend Monster Magnet. These guys are criminally underrated but I'd put my money on them as the best thing to happen to rock in the nineties. Started off in the late eighties as hard-out acid-&-cones style (which kickstarted Stoner when people like Kyuss got onto it) and delivered one of the greatest debut albums in history, Spine of God and a devastating EP called Tab.........25, notorious for the half-hour long space mission that is the title track. 2 x complete psychedelic sludge opus.

They got signed to a major but still stayed sludgey as fuck. In fact, their major label debut (Superjudge) is actually harder to get into than Spine. After that it was a big psych extravaganza for Dopes to Infinity (which many say is their best, and it may well be, but I'm quite partial to Spine myself) before throwing off the psych thing, getting into the black leather and going all out ROCK.

The first album of their leather period (which continues up to now) is the best: Powertrip. As far as straight up Rock goes, this is possibly the classic of all time. It stands up next to Alice Cooper's Killer and Black Sabbath's Master of Reality as a diverse, immaculately executed and fuck-off heavy Rock album that defines the genre.

God Says No was the last great stand. 2004's Monolithic Baby is pretty one-dimensional and although it rocks with the authority that these guys have earned well, it's just not as good as they can be. The latest record (Four Way Diablo), written and recorded after Dave Wyndorf recovered from a prescription-drug induced burnout, is a little better but he's still gonna have a hard time topping his '90s material. But they are still a mighty force live and he's still a very switched on, intelligent dude so I reckon that he has a very good chance of getting back on top of things.

hey greg not dissing at all, just that your writing got my attention so much that i went listening to all that stufff you referenced, tough, with no luck.

you go places where you actually made me think that powertrip was a good track LOL

magic words man!!! :emotawesomepm9:

everyone's crying out loud for mastodom, but i would just recomend some Rush, you'll never find better, old or new...

rush are not metal.

I would say check out some new enslaved, particularly their latest album. but you seemed to like some shitty bands.

and why is watershed not any good and the album to make you lose respect for opeth?

i love opeth; still life and my arms, your hearse are my favorites.

course there is always dissection, cannibal corpse, behexen, rotting christ, darkthrone, dark funeral, amon amarth, gorgoroth, behemoth, belphegor, tyr, falkenbach, immortal, etc, etc, etc

course there is always dissection, cannibal corpse, behexen, rotting christ, darkthrone, dark funeral, amon amarth, gorgoroth, behemoth, belphegor, tyr, falkenbach, immortal, etc, etc, etc

The heaviest I would do is Slayer, Obituary and a bit of Death. A lot of those bands you mention aren't my cup of tea, each to their own though.

everyone's crying out loud for mastodom, but i would just recomend some Rush, you'll never find better, old or new...

rush are not metal.

:orly: neither are new, but definetly, hard rock! :wang:

you just made up those band names didn't you???

oh and Fear Before the March of Flames in copious amounts

The Always Open Mouth is one of the greatest most unique sounding heavy records I've ever heard, the way they double team vocals is fucking awesome. Not to mention the guitars on that record are on fire amongst other things. sexy album

I really enjoyed Odd How People Shake back in the day, then I was totally disappointed in Art Damage. I heard The Always Open Mouth was better, but I never checked it out. Then again the last time I listened to Odd How People Shake I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Guest Lube Saibot

what do you all think of this???

i'd love to have a band to play my compositions

Pretty sweet. What's that guitar synth? I need something like that for some quick sketches of ideas for my band.

what do you all think of this???

i'd love to have a band to play my compositions

Pretty sweet. What's that guitar synth? I need something like that for some quick sketches of ideas for my band.

it came with reason4. it's a combinator patch, HELL SPAWN GUITAR is how it's called

Guest Greg Reason

hey greg not dissing at all, just that your writing got my attention so much that i went listening to all that stufff you referenced, tough, with no luck.

you go places where you actually made me think that powertrip was a good track LOL

yeah Monster Magnet are very flavoursome, definitely not for everyone and an acquired taste even for many who become converts later :biggrin:

But yes, well worth a listen because if you do get into it you've got a treasure trove of albums there to check out.

Oh and 'Powertrip' is dumb :crazy: It's rock music haha

Been into Monster Magnet for many years. You're right they are very underrated.

Thanks Greg for the heads up on Cult of Luna. I am forth track into Somewhere along the Highway. I like. A lot.

Guest Greg Reason

[youtubehd]40Hp4AoUNcE&[/youtubehd]

This shit is genius but you really do have to hear the record to understand how utterly mindblowing it is.

Fredrik has the entire album up on his MySpace page and you can still order the CD from Morgan Agren's webstore (Morgan is the drummer)

[youtubehd]40Hp4AoUNcE&[/youtubehd]

This shit is genius but you really do have to hear the record to understand how utterly mindblowing it is.

Fredrik has the entire album up on his MySpace page and you can still order the CD from Morgan Agren's webstore (Morgan is the drummer)

consider it done, in fact it's done!

rush are not metal.

Fuck Rush and their freakish Dr. Moreau Birdman creation of a lead singer....(although I did like Moving Pictures for about a year when I was 15)

can't stand the shit now....

and yes, those are all metal bands for people whom have the NUTS SACKS! :diablo:

rush are not metal.

Fuck Rush and their freakish Dr. Moreau Birdman creation of a lead singer....(although I did like Moving Pictures for about a year when I was 15)

can't stand the shit now....

and yes, those are all metal bands for people whom have the NUTS SACKS! :diablo:

yeah devil and balls!!!!!!!!! blood and goats, that makes me a MAN, a bad MAN

I'M BAD I'M BAD AND YOU KNOW IT

have you checked out giant squid before?

somtimes the singer kind off sounds like serj from soad (meh) but the music is really nice and they incorporate horns sometimes. def worth a few spins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrFh3byW5bM&feature=related

pyramids does some interesting things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGlhlE5AT1k

and mare was way too short lived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_kn9U1C7A&feature=related

Archived