IGNORED

New hard rock/metal recomendations

beerwolf

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new "Fredrik Thordendal Special Defects" is on the way. Morgan is back on drums, and Devin Townsend will do the vocals.

Yeah I read about that. I can't wait. If it's better than Sol Niger Within I'll shit my pants. I'm interested to see what kind of vocals Devin will do, and hopefully he's producing it.

please no

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Devin is not even close to as wicked as fredrik at producing or @ just being a god

Guest Greg Reason

Devin is not even close to as wicked as fredrik at producing or @ just being a god

WTF are you talking about. Devin is a far more accomplished producer.

You could say you don't like Devin's style anywhere near as much as Fredrik's but there's no way in hell Fredrik could have made an album like Infinity. You're kidding only yourself if you think he could.

Guest Al Hounos

I've been sucked into Doom metal these days... stuff like Sleep and Earth, and Electric Wizard more recently... 'Dopethrone' and 'Come My fanatics...' fucking classics.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Sunn O))) yet, they're absolutely crushing.

Guest Greg Reason

I've been sucked into Doom metal these days... stuff like Sleep and Earth, and Electric Wizard more recently... 'Dopethrone' and 'Come My fanatics...' fucking classics.

Sunn O))) are good at times but quite silly. Seen them twice; the first time was great, second time was meh.

Plus they're complete assholes most of the time. Numerous people from all round the world can attest to that. But yeah, Black One is pretty cool.

Earth are great, Sleep were cool but I think I prefer their new band, Om. Electric Wizard are great fun live too, definitely go check them out if you can.

I know it's not strictly Doom but I think Neurosis are the best act in this manner. They come across a little more Hardcore at times but when they kick into the Doom you sure know about it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoGYcD-wq4

high on fire > sleep ... For the record.

You could say you don't like Devin's style anywhere near as much as Fredrik's but there's no way in hell Fredrik could have made an album like Infinity. You're kidding only yourself if you think he could.

Agreed, even Ziltoid. Everything on that album was done by him alone, except one voice and drums maybe (The liner notes on Discogs say "Drum Programming [Drums And Support Provided By] - Fredrik Thordenal", but I'm pretty sure that's just there as Devin used the Drumkit From Hell for the album).

You could say you don't like Devin's style anywhere near as much as Fredrik's

I don't care about "accomplishments" I DO like fredriks style waaay more and think fredrik understands how to be tastefully insane. (EDIT:where devin's productions can come off pretty fucking cheeseball)

definitely think fredrik would produce HIS OWN album better than devin would produce it

Guest Lube Saibot

I don't care about "accomplishments" I DO like fredriks style waaay more and think fredrik understands how to be tastefully insane. (EDIT:where devin's productions can come off pretty fucking cheeseball)

definitely think fredrik would produce HIS OWN album better than devin would produce it

Seconded.

Lightning Bolt

that is all.

:cisfor:

I've seen these guys live a couple of times, most recently opening for High On Fire...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67f3khYE5Q&feature=related

... and these guys are corny as hell but it kinda rules... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBj3LTdB7o

... and yes, Genghis Tron... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSoyu1FO2Q&feature=related

Seconded.

You know that Devin does cheap / jokey stuff on purpose right?

Guest Lube Saibot

Seconded.

You know that Devin does cheap / jokey stuff on purpose right?

Dunno about that, but obzen shat on everything ever production-wise.

I agree that Fredrik's stuff shits all over Devin's stuff. Devin's stuff is very cheesy, mostly. However, Fredrik told me back in 1997 he really dug SYL's City - so the admiration is longstanding and mutual.

Guest Lube Saibot

I wouldn't say Devin's stuff is "cheesy". I mean yeah, he does some comedy metal, he does tongue-in-cheek, but it's all very classy and chiseled and pristine. For SYL, on the other hand, it's really visceral and in-your-face but sometimes it seems like there's just too much going on mix-wise. It's like an aggressive blur.

Meshuggah has always been really dedicated to sound, clarity and production as much as they were dedicated to composition. Even some of their oldest stuff is ahead of its time in terms of production values.

Rhythm sync'ed stereo delay - check.

Massive amounts of reverb - check.

Satriani-ish phrased ornaments - check.

Rising octave figures over a pedal point bass - check.

Root note bass riff locked to kick drum - check.

Quiet singing / yelling dynamics - check.

Lydian tension/resolution - check.

Sea bird ambience - check.

Quasi backwards guitars - check.

Super compressed sounds - check.

This is pretty much the definition of cheesy metal to me. I can still like it, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ok64JX7KP4

Guest Lube Saibot

Rhythm sync'ed stereo delay - check.

Massive amounts of reverb - check.

Satriani-ish phrased ornaments - check.

Quiet singing / yelling dynamics - check.

Sea bird ambience - check.

This is pretty much the definition of cheesy metal to me. I can still like it, though.

:wtf: Actually I'm starting to see what you mean.

LOL Ive heard a lot of Devin Townsend tracks because of one of my old drummers and all of it has some element of cheese but lol at the seagull track omgz

• 4 months later...

... and these guys are corny as hell but it kinda rules... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBj3LTdB7o

I recently recorded a melodic death metal band whose influences were quite varied, and Ensiferum was the one band they could all agree upon as being totally awesome. I used their Iron album as a point of reference for mix ideas, though the end result doesn't sound anything like it. Their guitars had some extra bottom end kick that I liked, so that was the one mix idea I kind of borrowed.

Finishing up that project is what lead me here, because now I'm in serious metal withdrawal and I want something new.

Archived